Upgrading and changing fleets simultaneously

F

Flying Saluki

So, the other day, while jumpseating, I learned that the Captain had recently upgraded from First Officer on a different type. I always thought upgrading or transitioning would be challenging enough, but to do both at the same time? Is that a normal thing?

So, the other day, while jumpseating, I learned that the Captain had recently upgraded from First Officer on a different type. I always thought upgrading or transitioning would be challenging enough, but to do both at the same time? Is that a normal thing?

It happens, but I hear ya on the concern. It was a big thing on my mind about my first upgrade being potentially on a new plane I have no time in. But the base closed and I displaced into my own plane as a CA. For my first upgrade, I'd much rather do it on a plane I've been on 6 years than one I have 0 time in. I think after your first Captain gig, then going CA into another airplane is probably not as big a jump. But the first one seems like a big deal.

Not a 121 guy, but at some point, a plane is a plane. There was a time in my career that I was qualified and current in 3 different types of fighter aircraft.........other than an occasional brain fart in one of the two that were relatively new to me, or misplaced habit pattern from the third that I had the most time in, they all had wings, a stick and throttle(s) and flew. Professional pilot gonna fly........"I'm a pilot, I fly" :)

I’m doing the new company, new plane, first 121 upgrade thing. At least they’re going to give us 90hrs of IOE. I’m expecting a pretty steep learning curve once on the line.

Sure. I never sat butt in a 320 FO seat and it was my first upgrade.

...and?

I did it. FO ER to CA on the 88. It’s a plane. Fly it.

This! I've done it twice, ATR FO to SF3 CA way back in my commuter days, and Bus FO to 73 CA at my legacy gig.

They all fly pretty much the same, well except the bus.

Seriously though, a plane is a plane is a plane. Have a good attitude and study hard. If you’re a competent pilot willing to learn and persevere it will work out and you’ll be just fine!

You’ll learn a lot from your FO’s. I learned to always double HP the Saab even though it was prohibited.

You’ll learn a lot from your FO’s. I learned to always double HP the Saab even though it was prohibited.
That and the air-conditioning unit on last row made the airplane tolerable. Still more fun for pilots than pax.
Yeah, no. I think I drank the beer outta the can that used to be that 1900.
Elitist much? Good Lord, its a wonderful plane, not a skull to toast your victories out of.

That and the air-conditioning unit on last row made the airplane tolerable. Still more fun for pilots than pax.

Elitist much? Good Lord, its a wonderful plane, not a skull to toast your victories out of.
We didn’t have that AC in last row. That’s a B+ thing.

Back