Some pointers from a friend that worked WAI

Well you've been pretty vocal in the past about it... hard to see the humor.

Against Seattle and/or Washington? I don't think I've made any negative references to those, unless maybe in context to the AS merger?

And you're judging an entire state based upon your commuter hotel in SFO back in the day?

That's like saying the condition of the Motel 6 in Beverly Hills means California sucks.

I lived in CA. My son was born there. Granted it was the Bay Area, but my judgement of that state is based on rental property prices, real estate property prices, property taxes, sales tax, income taxes, CA SD/SU tax, and cost of [just about everything]. And lets call a spade a spade. How many of you are based in California and don't live there. Like New York, it's gonna be fairly high number.

But I can't be hating on Californians. They predominantly pay my bills and allow for cheddar stacking. :)

Last edited:
Against Seattle and/or Washington? I don't think I've made any negative references to those, unless maybe in context to the AS merger?

I lived in CA. My son was born there. Granted it was the Bay Area, but my judgement of that state is based on rental property prices, real estate property prices, property taxes, sales tax, income taxes, CA SD/SU tax, and cost of [just about everything]. And lets call a spade a spade. How many of you are based in California and don't live there. Like New York, it's gonna be fairly high number.

But I can't be hating on Californians. They predominantly pay my bills and allow for cheddar stacking. :)

California is expensive for people in our profession.

You're just not going to throw around hundreds of millions in venture capital and stock options like they're going out of style and have a version of "Pilot Peachtree City" in the area.

But comparing the Dirty Jerz to California, damn son, you'd better get off the pipe before you get busted by a random! :)

Sure I will. In California, find me a 3 bdrm, 2 bathroom, 1 garage, in a city with schools ranked 8/10, for $235k total price and annual $6.5k property taxes. Oh, and it has to be a safe area too.

That's what I got within 45 minutes from NYC. Try that 45 minutes from SFO or LAX, not even close!

California is expensive for people in our profession.

And in our profession, we're making six figures. Now imagine the other 80% of households that don't even break 100k in this country, especially in California.

Sure I will. In California, find me a 3 bdrm, 2 bathroom, 1 garage, in a city with schools ranked 8/10, for $235k total price and annual $6.5k property taxes. Oh, and it has to be a safe area too.

That's what I got within 45 minutes from NYC. Try that 45 minutes from SFO or LAX, not even close!

And in our profession, we're making six figures. Now imagine the other 80% of households that don't even break 100k in this country, especially in California.

Supply and demand. Backwoods Alabama is cheap too.

How's the weather?

Thaaaaaaaaaat's what I thought. :)

You pay $6,500 in property taxes for that?!

You pay $6,500 in property taxes for that?!

My town hosted the 2016 PGA Championship:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_PGA_Championship

That kinda stuff and prestige doesn't come cheap. ;) I'm about 3 minutes away from that Golf course. Anyway, a decent portion of that includes education costs and since I have a kid (and soon to be kids), I'm ok with that. And a few perks like how the local elementary schools are broken into two separate schools: Pre-K to 2nd, and 3rd-5th. So this Fall, my son starts Pre-K for free at our local public school.

Supply and demand. Backwoods Alabama is cheap too.

Well of course Podunk, America is probably very cheap and you could get a mansion for $235k. But we're talking the largest cities in the country (NY, LA, SF Bay). Draw a circular dotted line map out from the city-center for a 45 minute driving range, and NOW look at the prices for those large cities. I explored 1 hr away or less options to buy in the Bay Area and the LAX area. I found nothing close to what I was looking for. My criteria was less than 250k, 3 bdrm, 2 bath (at minimums), garage optional, and schools had to be at least a 7/8 out of 10.

How's the weather?

Thaaaaaaaaaat's what I thought. :)

It's actually very nice. PA and MI get worse in terms of winter storms. We get the full 4 seasons. A noticeable Spring time, Summer, Fall with the leaves changing colors, and a winter with snow. The past two years, we've had a couple large blizzards, but nothing awful/terrible (certainly not the Blizzard of '93). Jan and Feb get the snow, occasionally into March. Nov and Dec we've had good luck here.
Bay Area, at least the peninsula/airport side? Cloudy/foggy/constant 50-65 degrees. Always. Year round. SoCal (esp San Diego) has really good weather.

I really don't want to shovel snow, deal with the social environment of NY/NJ which generally involves immediately booking tickets to FLAAAAA'riduh with regularity.

Seriously, be happy about your life decisions, no need to justify them. It's going to be 120F here on Monday, but I'm weird and no, no one else should move to N. Scottsdale because it's all mine.

And we have four seasons out west. We just skip the crappy ones.

That kinda stuff and prestige doesn't come cheap. ;) I'm about 3 minutes away from that Golf course. Anyway, a decent portion of that includes education costs and since I have a kid (and soon to be kids), I'm ok with that. And a few perks like how the local elementary schools are broken into two separate schools: Pre-K to 2nd, and 3rd-5th. So this Fall, my son starts Pre-K for free at our local public school.

Well of course Podunk, America is probably very cheap and you could get a mansion for $235k. But we're talking the largest cities in the country (NY, LA, SF Bay). Draw a circular dotted line map out from the city-center for a 45 minute driving range, and NOW look at the prices for those large cities. I explored 1 hr away or less options to buy in the Bay Area and the LAX area. I found nothing close to what I was looking for. My criteria was less than 250k, 3 bdrm, 2 bath (at minimums), garage optional, and schools had to be at least a 7/8 out of 10.

It's actually very nice. PA and MI get worse in terms of winter storms. We get the full 4 seasons. A noticeable Spring time, Summer, Fall with the leaves changing colors, and a winter with snow. The past two years, we've had a couple large blizzards, but nothing awful/terrible (certainly not the Blizzard of '93). Jan and Feb get the snow, occasionally into March. Nov and Dec we've had good luck here.
Bay Area, at least the peninsula/airport side? Cloudy/foggy/constant 50-65 degrees. Always. Year round. SoCal (esp San Diego) has really good weather.

Baltusrol is ghetto. I heard Ricky Fowler got mugged there by a couple of kids on 10 speeds.

I really don't want to shovel snow, deal with the social environment of NY/NJ which generally involves immediately booking tickets to FLAAAAA'riduh with regularity.
Who shovels snow? My association does that for me. Along with all gardening, mulching, and pretty much anything that has to do with outside the home. :)

As for Florida, I do feel bad..... they get a lot of our retiree drivers :eek:

Seriously, be happy about your life decisions, no need to justify them. It's going to be 120F here on Monday, but I'm weird and no, no one else should move to N. Scottsdale because it's all mine.

And we have four seasons out west. We just skip the crappy ones.

I never said anything against Arizona. I did some flight training at Kingman on two separate occasions, two separate years. Flew through PHX-PRC-IGM and back both times. Obviously limited exposure to AZ, but I liked it both times.

We all can't be Paradise Valley, @MikeD! :)

image.gif

The 2015 US OPEN was hosted 10 minutes away from us. Whoop dee doo. Prestige isn't a word I'd use for NJ.

I'm glad you're happy but you are also close to family/from there... I still think my home town is pretty fantastic, even though I know deep down it's not really.

The 2015 US OPEN was hosted 10 minutes away from us. Whoop dee doo. Prestige isn't a word I'd use for NJ.

I'm glad you're happy but you are also close to family/from there... I still think my home town is pretty fantastic, even though I know deep down it's not really.

Yes, family is important. And you know eventually you're gonna come to the dark side and bid the NY ER :)

The US Open? Oh snap, dawg! Game recognize GAME! :)

Back