Video of pilot taking down unruly passenger July 21...

Normally a kid brings everybody running. We had a guy beating his girlfriend's 2 year old child in flight once. A Marine was able to keep the guy in his seat against the window while we diverted in to STL but by the time we rolled up to the gate there were about 30 police officers and FBI agents (still not sure why they were there) waiting for us. Pretty impressive to see.
That's what I would have expected. Instead, the guy got away. The supervisor later decided it warranted LEO involvement, and the police had to track us down at the overnight hotel to get the story. Kind of pissed me off, but I wasn't in "my" country, so I left this up to the airline's supervisor.

The logic of people is just baffling. It is bad enough that people do that behind closed doors, but in the presence of others? Do you really think anyone is going to stand by and let that happen? Maybe that was a good thing in the case of that child, and one can hope that boyfriend is out of the picture.

He was screaming at the kid and calling it a devil child at the gate before we left. I was a pretty new FO at the time with two very new FAs in the back and a captain who was primarily a sim instructor and didn't have a lot of exposure to real world flying. With a bit more experience I think any one of the 4 of us would have made a call to remove him at the gate before we left. But we didn't and he was actually mostly calm for a while... until he wasn't.

That's what I would have expected. Instead, the guy got away. The supervisor later decided it warranted LEO involvement, and the police had to track us down at the overnight hotel to get the story. Kind of pissed me off, but I wasn't in "my" country, so I left this up to the airline's supervisor.

The cops that took this guy off the plane managed to slam his head against the side of the entry way door on the way out. When the lead LEO asked if anybody on the plane would make a statement about 60 people raised their hand. It was impressive.

I don't think that is across the board...because I have been a passenger on a Southwest flight from ABQ to ATL somehow connecting in LAS. After we departed LAS, an older passenger started to have difficulty breathing, and they followed all the protocol with dispatch and doctors and it was decided to declare an emergency and get on the ground, the closest airport at that point being ABQ. We were on the ground and met by emergency personnel and medics who were on the plane within five minutes of us landing (the door was opened and they promptly jumped on) and within 30 minutes the crew had been briefed, the passenger was on their way to the hospital and we were back on our way to ATL. The only painful part of that process was the fact that we stopped at the origination point, and we got into ATL late enough that the plane train wasn't running. You don't realize how large that airport is until you don't have the option to use it.

Ma'am, you (or the patient) rolled a seven. Reference Derg's above, or the original for immediate evidence. It IS across the board, even within the fine city of Atlanta, and in ABQ, Putnam, Dutchess, Orange and Westchester Counties in NY, Ridgefield, New Fairfield and Danbury in CT (all places with which I interact almost daily, first person). Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. It depends on what else is happening at the time of your particular emergency. Timing, what else is going on at the moment of your particular need, is critical.

Your personal first due engine at home will have three or four firefighters, I think, responding to a reported house fire. On arrival, one is on the pump, NFPA requires two in on the first hoseline. The last person, an officer, is sizing up the need for additional resources on the walk-around. Who is searching above the fire for your children, spouse or crippled parent until the second-due rig arrives? SECONDS matter in a working fire. The second due engine or ladder is two minutes out. If the two-person hose crew saves a victim, they lose the house.

You have a home invasion and can dial 911 before dropping the phone in front of an armed perp. Unfortunately, the city council cut funding for the patrol that normally covers your sector, and the overnight patrol is out at a serious car accident in the second of two sectors she covers. Help is six minutes further away, quite long enough for your valuables to be stolen, your throat to be cut, and your house to be torched. Neighbors will call in the fire, and mutual aid companies will respond, with the home department previously working the extrication/car fire on the earlier auto accident.

ADEQUATE STAFFING, in every jurisdiction, shouldn't be a matter of tming or luck. Life-threatening emergencies regularly occur more than one-at-a-time, across ALL jurisdictions.

Life safety shouldn't be a crap shoot for ANYONE, at anytime. That we can generally do the job, most of the time, by doing "more with less," and noting that it is "usually" enough, doesn't mitigate the personal loss to someone when our best efforts fail.

The problem IS across the board.

The logic of people is just baffling. It is bad enough that people do that behind closed doors, but in the presence of others? Do you really think anyone is going to stand by and let that happen? Maybe that was a good thing in the case of that child, and one can hope that boyfriend is out of the picture.

Yes, people stand by and watch (or just drive by) as things like this happen. They may call 911 (where limited resources in the field can slow response), but they DON'T get involved beyond that.

All the time ...

Yes, people stand by and watch (or just drive by) as things like this happen. They may call 911 (where limited resources in the field can slow response), but they DON'T get involved beyond that.

All the time ...

Well, you can bet I would get involved, and have. Sometimes, the only defense, especially when a child is involved, is someone, even a complete stranger saving them from a life of abuse. You should always speak up. There is a difference between blatant abuse and discipline. In the 21st century, people should know better.

Because he already assaulted one of your crew members, refused to follow your commands to sit down and behave, was intoxicated and stupid, the chance of him assaulting another pax or crew member was likely and you can bet your ass that if he had charged the open door and fallen to the ground, he'd be suing the piss out of the carrier. That guy was a complete horse's ass.

Doesn't matter what size you are, you can learn to take down someone of any size, it's a matter of balance, shifting your weight, and what body parts to use in coordination to neutralize some moron and what moves to execute for each situation. A good self defense course is something everyone should take, not only to protect yourself, but others around you and to also learn some simple defensive moves. Not everyone can be reasoned with and running away is not always an option either.

Kudos to the Captain. Good man. He protected his crew and the other pax. The drunken idiot was not hurt. Win win.

BJJ...learn BJJ. Now I'm 6' 225lbs but it's a fantastic grappling art in which a small man can take down a larger man...as long as the larger dude has no wrestling or grappling skills. I rolled for 7 years, it stays with you forever.

I wrestled all of high school, I suck at picking up girls, but I'm pretty confident in my ability to take down a person. That was more my excuse for the imaginative crew report explaining why unlike all the heroes here, I did not tackle the dude.

I still think the moment he was getting out of line, threaten to call the cops. When pushed aside the FA, screw it, let him walk off the plane. CRJ has stairs and is like a 3 ft fall if he does trip. Guarantee the cops show up quicker than 20 minutes with a random drunk walking around the airport - at least I know they did when we had something like this in ORF.

I'm not Monday morning the Captain here, just everyone else saying they would have done the same exact thing.

BJJ...learn BJJ. Now I'm 6' 225lbs but it's a fantastic grappling art in which a small man can take down a larger man...as long as the larger dude has no wrestling or grappling skills. I rolled for 7 years, it stays with you forever.

I saw a dude offer to grapple another dude for a smoke and then got his iPhone stolen.

I wrestled all of high school, I suck at picking up girls, but I'm pretty confident in my ability to take down a person. That was more my excuse for the imaginative crew report explaining why unlike all the heroes here, I did not tackle the dude.

I still think the moment he was getting out of line, threaten to call the cops. When pushed aside the FA, screw it, let him walk off the plane. CRJ has stairs and is like a 3 ft fall if he does trip. Guarantee the cops show up quicker than 20 minutes with a random drunk walking around the airport - at least I know they did when we had something like this in ORF.

I'm not Monday morning the Captain here, just everyone else saying they would have done the same exact thing.

Lets see... You were not there, have VERY limited information, and telling us what the crew should have done based on that limited amount of information. You don't know what happened before the video was started, don't know about the flight attendant being kicked several times before this video started, and don't know about the racial slurs or other threats he made before this started.

Sure sounds like "Monday Morning Captain-ing" to me.

Lets see... You were not there, have VERY limited information, and telling us what the crew should have done based on that limited amount of information. You don't know what happened before the video was started, don't know about the flight attendant being kicked several times before this video started, and don't know about the racial slurs or other threats he made before this started.

Sure sounds like "Monday Morning Captain-ing" to me.

Nope, they did what they did and I wasn't there. I'm just arguing with everyone else saying they would do the exact same thing, given the limited information we have.

This guy sounds like Earnest.

He's so quotable

"tighten it up, tighten it up, yeeeaaaah because you're online and you don't want to accept it"

This is comedy gold.

Back