Don't Snap Roll A Hawker

So they hired a guy without the certificates and ratings to fly an airplane for them. And they were surprised this happened?
I'm putting this on the owner for being a cheap sob. Looks like it costs less to hire professionals.

24lkgtu.jpg

So they hired a guy without the certificates and ratings to fly an airplane for them. And they were surprised this happened?
I'm putting this on the owner for being a cheap sob. Looks like it costs less to hire professionals.

I didn't read that anywhere...the part about no certificates or ratings.

We had 2 instructors that rolled training aircraft when I was a student at ERAU.

1 rolled a 172 with 2 students onboard. He ended up cracking the spar. The scary thing was, they didn't find it until they tore it down for the 100-hour check. They eventually traced it back. Ended up having to send it to Kansas on a flatbed.

The other rolled a Piper Seminole with 2 students on board. He went on to be a Captain at Pinnacle. He flew a ferry flight one night. We all know how that story ends.

This event happened several years ago, and soooo many people have stories about it and claim to be connected to the truth. That last time I was talking to someone that claimed to be 'in the know' with this, he claimed to be the ferry pilot that flew it to FXE. He alleges that the damage occurred out of the U.S. and then flew it to FXE at 10,000' because the cabin wouldn't pressurize. Whether or not that is the truth, who knows.

1 rolled a 172 with 2 students onboard. He ended up cracking the spar. The scary thing was, they didn't find it until they tore it down for the 100-hour check. They eventually traced it back. Ended up having to send it to Kansas on a flatbed.

The stresses required to crack a C172 spar would have been significant enough that the damage would be noticed with wrinkled skin. Anyone would have seen that during a normal walk around.

I have rolled just about everything I have flown, which is a significant amount. I highly, highly doubt that this Hawker was snap rolled. Even aerobatic airplanes receive damage from snap rolls, it is on of, if not the most aggressive maneuver you can do to an aircraft. Granted you don't have the severe gyroscopic issues that you get with recip aircraft, but the instant G load increase wouldn't cause a fuselage to wrinkle, it would snap the wings off. Aileron rolls and barrel rolls are very gentle on an aircraft, and if you keep slight positive G, you can do a roll with your eyes closed and it feels like you are flying strait and level.

The stresses required to crack a C172 spar would have been significant enough that the damage would be noticed with wrinkled skin. Anyone would have seen that during a normal walk around.

That's what I was told. It may have been going in for an inspection shortly after the incident. I heard he cracked the motor mounts and did damage to the spar...enough damage that they couldn't even get a ferry permit to take it back to Cessna.

That's what I was told. It may have been going in for an inspection shortly after the incident. I heard he cracked the motor mounts and did damage to the spar...enough damage that they couldn't even get a ferry permit to take it back to Cessna.

Well, that my friend is a crappy pilot. Where is that person now?

This,

No FAA ratings on an N registered airplane.

doesn't equal this

So they hired a guy without the certificates and ratings to fly an airplane for them.

I'm not disputing the fact that the guy cheap'd out. But if I go to Japan, Mexico, or anywhere for that matter, and get a type rating, I don't all of the sudden forget how to fly an N registered airplane. He had the certificates and ratings as far as I can tell. Just not US ones.

...usually does, in the long run.

Crashing/breaking/bending/etc. airplanes tends to be expensive.

Why am I rolling airplanes? Because duh that's why.

Are you talking about barrel rolling or aileron rolling every airplane? Or am I missing the sarcasm and you're saying "Yep...I roll every airplane some... just by moving these here ailerons."

Are you talking about barrel rolling or aileron rolling every airplane? Or am I missing the sarcasm and you're saying "Yep...I roll every airplane some... just by moving these here ailerons."

Of the over 70 types in my logbook, I have aileron rolled most of them, completely around, 360 degrees. To aerobatic types, a roll goes all the way around....

Back