Lots of Envoy, Piedmont, PSA flights canceled today

JOEFRIDAY2

I'm looking now and I see 150 Envoy flights canceled. (14%) Also, 154 more (15%) are delayed which will probably lead to more canceled flights.

I'm also seeing 43 canceled Piedmont flights. (17%) I see 71 more (28%) are delayed.

PSA has 27 canceled flights (7%). I don't see any delays listed.

Looks like a brutal day for the AA group.

Whats the reason for so many cancellations?

The AA group by itself (not including flights operated by the non-owned regionals) represents 70% of the US flight cancellations today. Since the number is so distorted and does not seem to be affecting other airlines as much, one would need to examine if crew shortages might be the issue here.

There can't possibly be that many equipment failures. Also mainline does not seem to be cancelling many flights at all.

Currently Ohare has the highest number of flight cancellations today at 51 (for all airlines) which represents 4% .of their traffic. So this is not an industry wide issue today.

So far, Envoy has cancelled 190 flights today. These flights are all over and not just concentrated where weather is a factor. Currently the AA group has cancelled 285 flights today. Most are owned regionals. This represents over 14,000 stranded passengers.

In addition, Air Wisconsin and Republic (which feed AA) are experiencing a high number of delays. They aren't cancelling many flights at this time.

CLT is part of it. ACARS was down completely in CLT today with some wx (according to a RAH friend), huge reason I'm sure.

Time slot controlled airports+weather+wholly owned = cancellation central.

If AA is has time slot to use they probably want to send the Airbus with 150 passengers on it rather than the RJ with 50.
This isn't just done to the wholly-owned. UA (DL)-initiated cancels when the weather tanks are a pretty big deal here too.

Could it be paying the company back for the new TA the moronic Envoy pilots just signed?
It'd better not be. That's an unlawful industrial action.

And the cancellations continue today.

So far Envoy has canceled 133 flights (13%)

Last edited:
Uh...

So what's the real deal then?

This sounds somewhat unprecedented. Is the system really under so much weather stress?

Talking with my friends at Eagle, there are lots of trips in open time (30+ trips) Captain and FO side with more Captain trips open with zero reserve pilots available to fly them. You can see the open trips on Facebook.

So I imagine, that planes don't fly themselves, and even if there are FOs available to fly, the plane doesn't fly without a captain.

And no one is answering their phones when scheduling is calling to junior man. So all scheduling can do is try to tag pilots already flying, rob peter to pay paul, and cancellations due to lack of crew is the result.

Uh...

So what's the real deal then?

This sounds somewhat unprecedented. Is the system really under so much weather stress?
75 flights canceled yesterday were coded to lack of crews. Much more than that today. Who knows what the actual number is because I'm sure they are trying to blame as much as possible on the weather.

Back