Lots of Envoy, Piedmont, PSA flights canceled today

And why are we moronic?

Because the ball is I'm their court right now, they aren't the only ones having issues with staffing. Simple supply and demand. Less supply off polls, demand goes up. Regional pilots are in demand right now, they are canceling flights because there isn't enough of them.

Update for today 12/26/14 5:00 PM EST:

Envoy has canceled 59 flights so far, (The most flights, of any airline, in the United States)

Republic has canceled 33 flights so far. (The second most flights, of any airline, in the United States)

This represents over 4000 passengers thus far.

This is the first time Republic is showing up as canceling a large number of flights. All of the Republic flights seem to be serving AA/US passengers.

Compare these numbers to mainline AA which has only canceled 6 flights so far today.

So, regionals can't staff their flyng. At the same time they are trying to cram concessions down the throats of the regionals, in the way of work rules and pay. How far is too far? If there were no min days off, no guaranteed hrs, no per diem, and pilots made whatever the current minimum wage is...is that bar low enough? Would that be enough to change something?

I'm just wondering because it seems like the regionals get kicked, punched, and stepped on...only for things to get worse sooner or later.

The First Officer RJ pilots are getting paid 30 cents-70 cents per passenger per flight. There are not enough willing to fly for that sort of poverty pay and that is causing flights to be canceled and passengers to get stranded.

This thread shows otherwise.

Edit to add: They need pilots, they don't have enough pilots. Explain how that's not having the advantage?
In a normal world, that would be an advantage. In the regional world, not so much, at least not right now. Even if it ever becomes an advantage, it would not have been in time to prevent the damage that would have been done to Envoy. Of all the reasons to have voted no, having the advantage was not one of them.

This thread shows otherwise.

Edit to add: They need pilots, they don't have enough pilots. Explain how that's not having the advantage?
There is a shortage of people willing to mow my lawn for free

Ball's in their court

The First Officer RJ pilots are getting paid 30 cents-70 cents per passenger per flight. There are not enough willing to fly for that sort of poverty pay and that is causing flights to be canceled and passengers to get stranded.
30 to 70 cents per pax per flight? Using that metric charter pilots are making bank!

30 to 70 cents per pax per flight? Using that metric charter pilots are making bank!

Not to mention that assumes every flight is full. 20 people on a 2 hour flight means a 4 year FO is making about $3 per passenger. The math gets really fuzzy really fast.

Steve you need to read closely.

The post says RJ first officers are making 30 cents to 70 cents a passenger. Yes that is per flight. The longer the flight the more they make per passenger. That is why there is a spread.

If you have a different number for the RJ first officers then please do share it.

It is a very valid metric. I'm surprised you did not know this number.

Joe

Not to mention that assumes every flight is full. 20 people on a 2 hour flight means a 4 year FO is making about $3 per passenger. The math gets really fuzzy really fast.

Bob the last time I checked there were no less than 50 seats on a Regional Jet. Some have 70 seats and some have close to 90 seats. The load factors these days are around 80%.

Most RJ flights are not 2 hours, but the longer the fight the more the FO makes per passenger.

Also the more passengers on the plane--the less the FO makes per passenger. So a full flight means less money per passenger for the pilot but more money for the airline.

Joe

By the way, I invite any of the first officer RJ pilots to post how much they were paid per passenger on their recent flights.

Let's see who is making the most and who is making the least as an RJ First Officer.

It's pretty easy to figure out:

Hourly Flight Time X Hourly Pay Rate / Passengers on Flight = Pay Per Passenger.

Example:

1 hour flight X $30 per hour Divided by 50 passengers equals 60 cents per passenger

Are they really that understaffed, or do they have a bunch of people timed out for the year?

Steve you need to read closely.

The post says RJ first officers are making 30 cents to 70 cents a passenger. Yes that is per flight. The longer the flight the more they make per passenger. That is why there is a spread.

If you have a different number for the RJ first officers then please do share it.

It is a very valid metric. I'm surprised you did not know this number.

Joe
What is the number for a major pilot flying long haul wide body? How does it compare to a wide body domestic pilot flying shorter legs?

Back