Lots of Envoy, Piedmont, PSA flights canceled today

Sounds just like IAD!

Been a while since I've been to IAD (ok just a few months), but I would say they aimed to lower the bar, and were successful, with the DEN ground handling. Granted, IAD still sucks and shows no signs of improving. I'm hoping DEN can get better and these are just "growing pains" going on there now.

It's all about the dollars.

Back in the day, you'd roll into an outstation, and the junior guy had 35 years in. They KNEW how to turn a plane and how keep the pax happy. Taxi in, swap pax, pull the jetway back (love those "taxi out" gates), and taxi out. No fuss, no muss, no bother. Smooth as buttah. AND they had your sammich you ordered on the in-range.

Richman

I actually hope they keep canceling flights. Let them hurt and see how much money they've lost due to poor staffing and wage decisions, plus hardline chatter which has caused many FO's to bail and potential new hires select other carriers...

One of busiest travel season on record, and your fighting to save pennies on the dollar and caused your airline to be understaffed with pilots. YOUR PROBLEM Envoy.

It's all about the dollars.

Back in the day, you'd roll into an outstation, and the junior guy had 35 years in. They KNEW how to turn a plane and how keep the pax happy. Taxi in, swap pax, pull the jetway back (love those "taxi out" gates), and taxi out. No fuss, no muss, no bother. Smooth as buttah. AND they had your sammich you ordered on the in-range.

Richman

There is something else worth mentioning that outstations that have their act together are good at vs. ones that don't.

Showing up in the early morning in the winter to find a plane that is powered up correctly and has heated air pumping into it.

The plane I fly was designed by people who have never seen snow in their country and never will. It does not like waking up in the morning! One particular station learned this the hard way a few days ago on my trip. You'd think the plane had just been taken out of a half decade in desert storage. Nope, just another cold power-up at dawn.

I actually hope they keep canceling flights. Let them hurt and see how much money they've lost due to poor staffing and wage decisions, plus hardline chatter which has caused many FO's to bail and potential new hires select other carriers...

One of busiest travel season on record, and your fighting to save pennies on the dollar and caused your airline to be understaffed with pilots. YOUR PROBLEM Envoy.
The problem is, in the end, the ones hurt most by this will be the employees of Envoy. They will continue to shrink the fleet until staffing is not an issue. Management may have brought this on, but the employees will pay for it.

There is something else worth mentioning that outstations that have their act together are good at vs. ones that don't.

Showing up in the early morning in the winter to find a plane that is powered up correctly and has heated air pumping into it.

The plane I fly was designed by people who have never seen snow in their country and never will. It does not like waking up in the morning! One particular station learned this the hard way a few days ago on my trip. You'd think the plane had just been taken out of a half decade in desert storage. Nope, just another cold power-up at dawn.

Some airplanes take it better than others. On the DC-9, you just roll it down hill, pop the clutch, and away you go.

No hill? No problem. The rope for the pull starter is in with the gear pins.

Richman

The problem is, in the end, the ones hurt most by this will be the employees of Envoy. They will continue to shrink the fleet until staffing is not an issue. Management may have brought this on, but the employees will pay for it.

This is true, unfortunately.

we had the same leaving YVR the other morning...had to shut everything down and start over.

Been a while since I've been to IAD (ok just a few months), but I would say they aimed to lower the bar, and were successful, with the DEN ground handling. Granted, IAD still sucks and shows no signs of improving. I'm hoping DEN can get better and these are just "growing pains" going on there now.

Dulles got better, then it got cold and everyone realized how terrible the job is. Now we are back to Air Wisconsin level.

Back