Envoy TA Voting: The Better Part of Valor

That's a question that I can't answer.

I see it like this. We're all misfits that got into aviation for a particular reason. We're pirates, swashbucklers, deviants, risk takers, the last guy at the bar and all that ridiculous stuff the nonsensical webmaster at pilotstrike.com waxed poetic about.

But for some reason, at some point, that all goes away.

We put on 40 lbs, buy a set of dad jeans, surf the internet and complain about our lack of progress and have online penis measuring contests.

It depends on what you want.

My only advice is to "stay hungry" but don't confuse frustration with hunger.

This is certainly some libtard college pie-in-the-sky vegan eater but still wears leather sandals with a moleskin hackysack blond hair dreadlock crap, but from the motto of the blog "The Heretic": Semper curre, nunquam ambula. (Always run, never walk)
Yup, agree with all that. Even the 40lbs part.

I can't answer it either. A lot of guys aren't 24 years old anymore, the money is important, benefits are important (hospital bills can be oppressive or funny depending) and no one has a crystal ball.

This industry sucks guys, the job is great, but the industry blows nuts in general. I think Derglas can attest, when it's good it's great, when the company files, you take pay cuts and lose your pension, it can be ugly.

You gotta be in this stuff because you love it, and if you're on here you probably love it...but love hurts. My solution is to read books, listen to podcasts, and entertain myself constantly when I'm not at home with wife and baby. This time of year I watch football as if it was Sunday Worship, with fellowships on Thursday and Monday night and scream at my fantasy teams. I never even liked football until I started flying. Now I even have to like stupid Seggy a little because he went to Rutgars playing football because all my up and commers are ex Rutgars (gers? Idk, idc).

Next year it might be hilariously easy. This year I've got a class date for my next company while I'm interviewing for one other and I'm still kind of "meh" because it's not a legacy or the majors I want. Phht right? But I know it'll get better.

Next year it might be hilariously easy. This year I've got a class date for my next company while I'm interviewing for one other and I'm still kind of "meh" because it's not a legacy or the majors I want. Phht right? But I know it'll get better.

Go get you some, brother!

Where do you want to go?

I want the hungry ones.

I really don't care to spend hours in the cockpit, over the ocean, enroute to a four-day FCO layover hearing a new hire bitch about how pissed he and his girlfriend were that he didn't get the weekend off and how good his schedule at Skywest was. #truestorybro

If weekends and holidays off are of utmost importance, well, let's just say if you run a catering business, you'd better like cooking.
It's funny because that's happened at every single airline I've worked for. It's the same complaints time after time again. The only thing that changes is the name of the company on your badge. I think to me, that's what's really getting old.

-"I had better schedules at X!"
-"X company has Y, and we have Z! Unbelievable!"
-"This company is a bottomfeeder unless we get Y."
-"You're how old? Oh, you'd be a fool not to go to X right away."
etc.

At every single company, the grass is always greener. Heck, go on APC and check out the FedEx threads. Those guys are just as angry as anyone else, even though they're some of the highest-paid pilots in the industry. It just never stops unless we as individuals recognize it, and decide to break the cycle.

Oddly enough, the only ones I've seen truly break the cycle and choose happiness are at Cape Air. The top 1/3rd of that seniority list will never leave. They've decided that their piston twin job on the Cape is all they need, and the rest of their energy should go to friends, family, and their personal interests outside aviation. While we're all constantly fighting over how crappy our contracts are compared to Brand Y, or how to move up the ladder in record time, I think they're ones who've figured it out. :)

P.S.: If I have to hear one more person complain about our SYD layover on the beach, I'm gonna go "checklists only" for 10 hours. And then nobody's gonna have fun. :)

Last edited:
Go get you some, brother!

Where do you want to go?

You're mother's house? *rimshot*

Looking at four for the long haul (or whoever on that tier says yes), 3different for the short term. Finally putting some stuff out overseas because the money is supposedly amazeballs but don't tell my wife.

For the benefit of others:

Supposedly I just need to find something to put me back in the left seat so I don't look like a washed up FO. Or so the story goes. Want to go to a few of these fangled job fairs, stand in line, pour some koolaid on my shirt, then have someone hire me from a great airline.

I've been getting unofficial surveys from guys at airlines I'm eyeing and there's not just one path. Plus the place I'm at might get me in the left seat too if something good happens. It'd be a rabbit out of a hat though. Next place is supposedly expanding and not taking street captains and seems like they are really turning things around.

Anyone reading this, just do the opposite of whatever I do and you'll be great.

P.S.: If I have to hear one more person complain about our SYD layover on the beach, I'm gonna go "checklists only" for 10 hours. And then nobody's gonna have fun. :)

You should hear some of the complaining in the international briefing room. There are guys making almost $300/hr that are fit to be tied about being questioned about bringing their tuxedo from the US to Amsterdam to be dry cleaned for free at the hotel.

"AMMA FALL A GREEEVUMPS!"

You should hear some of the complaining in the international briefing room. There are guys making almost $300/hr that are fit to be tied about being questioned about bringing their tuxedo from the US to Amsterdam to be dry cleaned for free at the hotel.

Cheep F'rs

About a year ago, I had basically convinced myself that at the ripe age of 30 I was washed up and made enough poor career moves that I was doomed. That, coupled with some personal issues back home caused me to really evaluate how far I had come and where I am at now.

I lived the entirety of my 20's by basically never turning down a job offer. Of all of the moves I made, only one was truly lateral, and that was because I feared for my certificate every time I showed up to work. Otherwise every move was either into bigger equipment, moved me 3 feet to the left, or added responsibility.

Would I recommend everyone manage their career like that? No. But it sure was interesting. There is no one winning formula to this game. For every new-hire at a legacy that is sub-30 and has no PIC there is his/her antithesis that has 10,000 hours and is on airline number 7. The one thing you have to keep your eye on is the goal. And as @Derg and many others have said in this and many other threads, don't get lazy. If the fire burns within to continue to rise up the ladder, then you have to keep working.

That work can manifest itself in many different ways. Does it mean you need to abandon your current job for one that pays less but offers PIC? No. Because everyone's situation is different. You have to find the balance of work/life that ultimately keeps you and your family happy and do what you can within those confines. Ultimately for me, it was my lack of drive to finish my degree that was holding me back. So I'm working on that. Hopefully I will be done in the next 18 months.

And the sad part of it all, is why it took me so damn long to have that epiphany. In 2009, while I was in management for a 121 Regional, I had the pleasure of working with a man for 2 days who was a retired Chief Pilot from a rather large triangular airline who came in with a group to do our IOSA audit. After 2 days of working with him going over every facet of our flight operations, he looked me square in the eye and asked me if I had ever thought of working for said triangular airline (which has been my goal ever since I was about 9). I was floored, and said yes, however, that I had not completed my college degree. I could tell by the look on his face that he was surprised and disappointed. That right there should have been enough to set off a firecracker off under my ass, but I allowed it to discourage me rather than ignite me (stupid career mistake #2321). It took another 2 years until I was sitting on the jumpseat of a triangular airline 777 that I finally got that fire re-lit, and hopefully I can round out my resume package and put myself in a position for success, because ultimately, it is very easy to convince yourself that you're not good enough, smart enough, or lucky enough, when in fact, you are.

@JEP oh you like that do you? *freakout screaming Jerry*

Here to light smokes and crack jokes.

Tuna....It's the opposite of Salmon....Salmon swim upstream, tuna swim downstream..... :) Sad that I can quote those episodes. Seinfeld is a constant on the DVR....

Tuna....It's the opposite of Salmon....Salmon swim upstream, tuna swim downstream..... :) Sad that I can quote those episodes. Seinfeld is a constant on the DVR....
I only watched scrubs, never got into Seinfeld. Yes I know I know I should watch it, but I'd rather rewatch B5again or finally see the Wire. Someday, someday.

Christ, even I pay for my dry cleaning at home.

It's funny because that's happened at every single airline I've worked for. It's the same complaints time after time again. The only thing that changes is the name of the company on your badge. I think to me, that's what's really getting old.

-"I had better schedules at X!"
-"X company has Y, and we have Z! Unbelievable!"
-"This company is a bottomfeeder unless we get Y."
-"You're how old? Oh, you'd be a fool not to go to X right away."
etc.

At every single company, the grass is always greener. Heck, go on APC and check out the FedEx threads. Those guys are just as angry as anyone else, even though they're some of the highest-paid pilots in the industry. It just never stops unless we as individuals recognize it, and decide to break the cycle.

Oddly enough, the only ones I've seen truly break the cycle and choose happiness are at Cape Air. The top 1/3rd of that seniority list will never leave. They've decided that their piston twin job on the Cape is all they need, and the rest of their energy should go to friends, family, and their personal interests outside aviation. While we're all constantly fighting over how crappy our contracts are compared to Brand Y, or how to move up the ladder in record time, I think they're ones who've figured it out. :)

tl;dr: nobody gives a (__) how you did it at American Eagle/SkyWest/Western/Northwest/etc.

tl;dr: nobody gives a (__) how you did it at American Eagle/SkyWest/Western/Northwest/etc.

That's not even what my post was about. :)

Ron-Burgundy-That-Doesnt-Make-Any-Sense.gif

Back