We all want the same thing...

Phil Schuyler

...a strong and vibrant aviation industry that provides good jobs and security for all involved. So why is there so much anger and vitriol directed towards people who simply disagree in the manner in which to go about it?

Phil Schuyler said:
...a strong and vibrant aviation industry that provides good jobs and security

Define "good jobs" and "security". Everyone has their own definitions within a very wide spectrum.

It's not, Phil, it just seems that way on the internet. There's no social padding, and a lot of people forget basic courtesy. Thus, many people who aren't actually a-holes come off that way without a lot of attention paid to their delivery.

EDIT - A pretty decent, simple rule I follow for posting on JC:

I never, ever say anything to anyone that I wouldn't say to their face.

I have probably deleted one post in mid-composition for every one that I've actually posted.

Last edited:
Type "A" ?
This would be my guess. Pilots are typically two things...

1. A very complaint oriented lot...and often bitter about their complaints.
2. Pricks. Not that it's a bad thing...I'm a prick.

The two together can make for a really bad combination. Fortunately, it's been my experience that pilots out on the line aren't nearly as confrontational and miserable as one would assume just by reading some of the message boards. Some of the other message boards are just hives of scum and villainy. This one here is normally pretty tame and civil...with a few rare exceptions.

125f98e3903a120ce87961a91e6fbdd7759313ab3d42ed11275578f710188379.jpg

I wouldn't limit this to just pilots and aviation. Here in the hospital it's the same situation. We simply feel our way is the best way despite the fact that someone else might have a good idea too.

I disagree that it has to do with type A personalities or even forgetting courtesy (BTW, I do agree with @killbilly about the fact that I would say to your face what I say on here).

It has to do with the fact than when you go start spouting off on how an entity, such as ALPA, is screwed up, yet you have no first hand experience of even being an ALPA member much less a volunteer and there are folks who spend a lot of time actually volunteering for that entity, such as ALPA, to try to fix things, patience is thin for those who disagree as that patience can actually be used for more important items than being nice and stroking your feelings. Furthermore, when you have a state owned enterprise trying to take your job away, patience will be nonexistent if you try to defend it using 'free market' bullcrapola.

Last edited:
...a strong and vibrant aviation industry that provides good jobs and security for all involved. So why is there so much anger and vitriol directed towards people who simply disagree in the manner in which to go about it?

Oh man..This one is going to go the distance!!!

3898460-8864152835-

My personal opinion, and short short short answer.

It is just like religion and politics. You will never get everyone to see eye to eye, and everyone thinks that they are right.

Cut and dry.

(Insert additional theories, and/or detailed examples below)

It is just like religion and politics. You will never get everyone to see eye to eye, and everyone thinks that they are right.

So, in short, the problem is irrationality? But aviation isn't majik-based like those other two things... So rationality oughta work, hmm?

Don't come into a heavily unionized industry spouting your anti-union nonsense if you don't want to get push-back. And as usual, I agree with the Wookie. Anything I say here, I'll say to your face.

At least as far a forums go?? Because of the glory of anonymity.
Some people feel that they can get away with anything simply because they're on the Internet, and few if any people know their true identity.

In the "nonline" world, though, I'd have to say because many people are opinionated A-holes who are too sure of their inherent superiority over others.

Also, they aren't slapped enough when they get belligerent.

Also, they aren't slapped enough when they get belligerent.

Be careful with that. Depending on your background you could be acting like a badass.

If you have a background in anything else it's just the internet, if you actually have a background in hitting people you're a d-bag.

Edit because you can't spell out d-bag.

By it's very nature an online aviation forum will be filled with people who care to opine.

Just realize that on the line most guys see a benefit to Alpa. There is. But it's far from perfect.

Guys like ATN & Seggy will bust your chops but just realize where it's coming from. They're all in. They're not just rank and file members of the congregation, they're like they guys who fluff the Pope. ;-)

Not really a background in hitting people, just a strong opinion that some members of society could use a bit of physical feedback when their behavior becomes uncivilized.

Yeah, I know, "sink to their level" etc...

Back