What is the best air ambulance company to work for?

hotice

What is the best air ambulance company to work for? I am looking for information on these and other air ambulance companies. I know that this list does not include all companies, but I think that it is a good list. I am looking to make the move in 3-6 months. I would like to know starting pay. What schedule do people like the best? Schedule is a big deal to me. 7 on 7 off sounds the most appealing to me. What is the schedule for some of these jobs? ie. 7on 7off 12 hr rotating shifts, 14 on 14 off, 20 on 10 off. Do you sit at the airport or at home? Do you have to be within a specific time/ distance of the airport. What are the benefits and vacation time and how long do you need to work there to get them. How are the pilots treated? Is the moral high? ecetera. Please add any other information that you think would be good to know. If you don't feel comfortable posting this info you can just pm me. Thanks

7 Bar

Air Medical Services

Air Methods

AMRG

Avera McKennan

Billings Clinic

Cal-Ore Life Flight

CareFlite

Classic Air Medical

EagleMed

Elite Medical Transport

Express Air Medical Transport

First Flight

IHC Life Flight

Life Flight Network

Life Guard International

Lifeteam.us

Mercy Flights

PHI Inc.

Reach Air Medical Services

Sanford Medical Center

Summit Air Ambulance

Tristate Care Flight

I had a very good experience at Methods. Others may disagree...largely depends on your program, I'd imagine, but I very easily could have stayed there for a career and not felt like I'd missed the bus.

I don't know anything about some of those names, but I would say that Methods, PHI, and maybe AMRG are generally considered "first tier" as far as pay and QOL of the ones I did recognize.

As far as schedule, I liked 7/7. If you commute or it's remote, you might prefer 14/14. We had to be at the base for our shift...I believe this is typical, although I have heard of exceptions. One thing to consider is that if you're sitting at home, you're very likely to be on a schedule with less hard time off.

I work at AMRG and enjoy it. Like Boris said, alot depends on what program you're at.

FYI Billings Clinic doesn't really run the aviation side of their service. You'd be working for Edwards JetCenter (the Billings FBO), they run the Billings Clinic and St Vincent's Hospital flight programs, as well as their own charter. Not sure if pilots swap from one part to another but I can't think of why they wouldn't.

EagleMed is 7/7. Must be at base. Full benefits. I know we are currently hiring. I wouldn't wait too long. You pretty much have your pick of where you want to go right now. I've seen a lot of air ambo openings lately.

Reva (not on your list) is hiring Lear 35 FO's now.

Any info on Reva? I looked into them about a year ago and couldn't come up with anything other than they hire a lot. Sounded like a revolving door, but again, I have zero knowledge on the place.

Do you sit at the airport or at home? Do you have to be within a specific time/ distance of the airport.

Kind of difficult to be sitting at home when the 911 dispatch comes in for an MVA or some other emergency traffic requiring a scramble. The helo has to be responding in a minute or so.

Airlift northwest and lifemed Alaska are both staffed by aero air in Oregon.
Alaska regional is staffed by eaglemed.

Eagle Air Med (AMRG-owned) is 20/10, on call from home. Daily rate is less than almost every other company, but take home is higher thanks to the extra shifts. Currently 10 openings across 7 bases.

I have some insight into Reva from the medical side. They are well funded and growing, possibly growing too quickly. From what I hear after they acquire or start up a base there is a bit of lag time to get things going. They did win the fixed wing program of the year at AMTC this year. From the medical side you are on call at home, must be within an hour of the airport for a 2 hour post dispatch departure.

With Eagle Air Med, aren't their domiciles mostly on tribal lands?

7Bar are going to be interesting to watch as they go into rotor wing market. I am unsure what they are doing differently. It is a saturated market, with fewer programs seeking vendors.

Eagle Air Med (AMRG-owned) is 20/10, on call from home. Daily rate is less than almost every other company, but take home is higher thanks to the extra shifts. Currently 10 openings across 7 bases.

By home, you mean many locations in which the average person can't even buy a place to live (nor would they want to).

By home, you mean many locations in which the average person can't even buy a place to live (nor would they want to).

Actually not quite.

I am crrently am able to live in base in a city that I love. Also, my company doesn't require us to remain at the facility for being on call. Usually I just kick it and hang out at my place and maybe get a call.

Anyhow hope your able to break into the industry to the OP.

Actually not quite.

I am crrently am able to live in base in a city that I love. Also, my company doesn't require us to remain at the facility for being on call. Usually I just kick it and hang out at my place and maybe get a call.

Anyhow hope your able to break into the industry to the OP.

Fixed wing has the easy life.

Fixed wing has the easy life.

Matter of perspective. Like I said above, anyone who sits at home almost certainly is available more than someone who sits at base.

Plus, fixed wing pilots have to leave the hangar when there are clouds and rain and stuff! Ewwwwwwwww!

Back