AA hiring rate and Envoy flow rant

Nah, wh.at I'm advocating in this thread is a fair system for all regional pilots where one doesn't presently exist. I don't look down on regional pilots at all, and I wasn't aware that I ever gave that impression; as you guys know, I've spent a good part of my career as one.

My opinion is that flow should apply to all, or none. I don't feel it's fair that @Screaming_Emu is stuck in the right seat at his regional, while guys at another regional flying under the same Delta banner have guaranteed slots at mainline. Yes, we all know that's just how the system works, and life isn't fair, but I feel the system as it stands is broken. We can discuss Compass all night (I just got up at 5pm #nightfreight), but it doesn't address the systemic problem that advancement from regional to mainline is largely based on luck, timing, and which seniority list you happened to get on first. For example, if you look at Delta Connection carriers, only a small percentage of pilots are eligible for flow system-wide. I think all should, or none should.

If I had my way in a perfect world? National seniority list, but sadly I don't see that ever happening.
You spent a few minutes of your career at XJT, then accepted a better paying job at Cape Air if memory serves? Cape air wasn't a regional last I saw, just a code shared with jetBlue.

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets. I'm all for a NSL.

Anyway I'm just out (fresh out) of the regional world and a union volunteer too, so I live in the real world and it's complexities. It'd be nice if everyone in a regional got something for their trouble, but I could spend all day talking about how unfair the world is. If a regional doesn't work for you, leave. I made 60k (I include the perdiem so mid 50's without) by picking up open time and that was about 16 days of work a month when I was an FO on an Mesaba RJ. Got married, had a great QOL compared to what I would have had other places that offered jobs (timing) and when the place hit the skids I got out. If I got burned out I bid last out reserve and spent the whole month at home (lived in base). Maybe I had it too good for too long, but it's over now. Regionals can be a great experience if you have luck and good timing.

Should that not be the end goal?
You young optimists, you make me laugh.

jabba-laugh-o.gif

You spent a few minutes of your career at XJT, then accepted a better paying job at Cape Air if memory serves? Cape air wasn't a regional last I saw, just a code shared with jetBlue.

If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets. I'm all for a NSL.

Anyway I'm just out (fresh out) of the regional world and a union volunteer too, so I live in the real world and it's complexities. It'd be nice if everyone in a regional got something for their trouble, but I could spend all day talking about how unfair the world is. If a regional doesn't work for you, leave. I made 60k (I include the perdiem so mid 50's without) by picking up open time and that was about 16 days of work a month when I was an FO on an Mesaba RJ. Got married, had a great QOL compared to what I would have had other places that offered jobs (timing) and when the place hit the skids I got out. If I got burned out I bid last out reserve and spent the whole month at home (lived in base). Maybe I had it too good for too long, but it's over now. Regionals can be a great experience if you have luck and good timing.

I was furloughed from XJT, then went to Cape. Cape is a commuter/regional, but with the benefit of owning its own lift. Anyway, that's beside the point.

Glad Mesaba worked out for you, and best of luck moving forward with wherever you're at now. I just know a lot of PO'd regional pilots who've gotten the shaft for years, and it's not right.

I was furloughed from XJT, then went to Cape. Cape is a commuter/regional, but with the benefit of owning its own lift. Anyway, that's beside the point.

Glad Mesaba worked out for you, and best of luck moving forward with wherever you're at now. I just know a lot of PO'd regional pilots who've gotten the shaft for years, and it's not right.
When you say regional you refer to the distance not to providing lift for a mainline "partner"?

Correction: the Delta south guys. As you said earlier, the north guys are a completely different group. They'd move heaven and earth to help out their regional brothers and sisters.
Yeah, because you interacted with the NWALPA guys you feel you can say that, but from the conversations I've had in the last four years, and remember, this is just about every other trip, I have to say you are wrong.

The doors shut on a NSL long ago. And the super senior ones like Les Abend, who were hired at a legacy at 26, served 1 year as a flight engineer, 4 years as a FO, and then upgraded at 32 want no part in any NSL. Hell, it was funny reading Les Abend's "merger musings" article. The guy will have a coronary if he loses any seniority. In another article the question he asked was "since when did my profession become a second job?" in which he talked about how one of his 757/767 FOs had a side business that was supplementing the FO salary, and Les was confused. For a guy who upgraded at 32 and has spent the last 20 years as a CA, he apparently has a hard time grasping that at the time, AA had 20 year seniority FOs.

There is too much:

1. Greed
2. Disconnect
3. More greed
4. Lack of unity

To ever have a national seniority list or even a national longevity list.

To ever have a national seniority list or even a national longevity list.

The only way it would work would be to assign every new hire STARTING TODAY a number on the list. Everybody above is already grandfathered in and those numbers wouldn't mean anything until the last guy flying that didn't have a number retires. Still a pipe dream though.

For a mainline job? Absolutely. The regional job is the interview. Flow everyone up.

I would be fine with that if the regionals were given more authority to fire bad apples. I know you're a unionista, but there ARE bad apples.

If the bad apples are weeded out during their 5 year regional "interview," then yeah I agree with you.

I would be fine with that if the regionals were given more authority to fire bad apples. I know you're a unionista, but there ARE bad apples.

If the bad apples are weeded out during their 5 year regional "interview," then yeah I agree with you.

Management has immense authority to fire bad apples. They're just too incompetent to use it.

You say hobo, I say I looked original and my indie rock outfit is all the dressing up I need when I fight the man. @Rocketman99 uses the word hipster, but that's so old, I'm a progressive and original thinker and I refuse to be pigeon holed. I'm who I am, take it or leave it man.

Wow, these guys the Yardbirds are so good on 88rpm LP. You guys really should get into this, but if you do I'll make fun of you and jump to something else. I'm edgy and effortlessly cool.

We should buy you mustache wax for Christmas, huh? I bet @Rocketman99 can find you some in Greenpoint...

National Seniority List? Are we going to talk about unicorns next?

@ATN_Pilot is my boy, but three things we'll always disagree on is iPhone vs Android, Airline stocks, and Lee Moak. I strongly believe Lee Moak is one of the best if not the best President in the history of ALPA.

Scope Choke, KCM, and Deny NAI were epic, Epic victories. One just has to go look at Concourse C in ATL and Delta's current hiring rate to realize the impact of Moak's vision.

South guys will too if it means getting you home at night... not that you'd know that Atlanta boy! :)

South guys are good guys. They just have a culture I want no part of.

It's shameful how much different I am treated in the same cockpit flying something that says Boeing on the side instead of Bombardier. Jesus Christ I used to fly their passengers for years and make them money. I didn't fill their pockets full of "'dat cheddar" but good lord I do NOTHING for them now.

Someday it'll be old news. It's still so weird to me and foreign. Especially when every once in a while it's a NWA guy who likes to remember the good old days of the Avro and the Saab and the Delta guy tries not to yack up his salad. It's just a weird weird culture to me. Outsider, and I know dick about dick. It was probably all comair's fault I guess, maybe it still is.

Shameful how different you are treated? How's that?

I was treated with Southern Hospitality when I jumped seated on Southernjets as a CRJ pilot and now am treated with the same Southern hospitality as a fellow crewmember.

Along with the "they don't wave back at me in the terminal" I think these are false perceptions ingrained in one's head after reading countless Internet musing about a particular pilot group.

a regional new hire is for the most part a new 121 pilot and this untested in airline flying. I don't think it's safe to say if they pass one 121 check ride they should have a clear path to a mainline career.

Back