AA hiring rate and Envoy flow rant

HobGoblin

-Warning-
Huge wall of non sensical text

APC states AA planned on hiring 600 in 2014, and 1500 for the next three years. However other articles state that number at 1500 over five years. What's the correct number? Does it seem like a safe assumption they would continue to hire for the foreseeable future, if not increase the hiring rate, as the mandatory retirements start to pickup pace? According to FAPA 453 pilots have been hired by American this year.

(Correct me if any of the following information is wrong. Also large assumptions are made, and I neglect attrition as it's hard to calculate. That in itself makes my calculations inaccurate. I'd appreciate any input and opinions.)

As of the last seniority list(10/13/14), it appeared there were about 2500 envoy pilots.

So far, 220 of the 824 have flowed. The 824 should be a minimum 20 per month, and ultimately should be 50 percent of the AA new hires. So at 20 a month that is a minimum 2.5 years for the remaining 600 of the 824 to flow. As the latest flows have been around 330 seniority, that would put the last 824 at about 930 seniority. If AA is only hiring 500 per year, 20 a month works out roughly right, to meet the 50 percent ratio.

After the 824, then there is the protected pilot group. 35% of the each AA class have to be eagle pilots. In the event 35% of AA new hire classes exceeds 25 pilots a month, they are required to release at least 25 pilots. At best we can say 25 pilots a month with flow, as contractually that would be the most pilots they have to release. That's AAG hiring about 900 total a year, 300 being from envoy. It of course could be more or less.

The last pilot whom is part of the protected pilot group is seniority 2200, a 10/11/11 hire.

So if we assume it's taken 2.5 years to get through the 824, stopping at 930 seniority, then to get through the remaining 1,270 at a rate of 25 a month would take about 4.2 years additional years, for a total of almost 7 years from today for the most junior protected pilot to flow to American.

I have no idea what AA is capable of hiring, and plans on hiring in the future. If AA continues to only hire 300-500 a year, 35% would be a minimum 100-175 flows per year, which means it could take 12.7 to 7.25 years to get through the 1270 protected pilots, putting the total wait to almost 10 to 15 years from now.

With AA and US airways combined mandatory retirements exceeding 500 in 2018 and doubling it in 2023, I can only assume hiring rate will have to increase from 500 per year.

The combined AA and US retirements.

2015- 285
2016- 341
2017- 424
2018- 562
2019- 692
2020- 796
2021- 830
2022- 870
2023- 1,003
2024- 956
2025- 942

On the subject of the increased flow, the rumor is 50 percent for everyone after the 824, and minimum 30 a month for the 824. Will it still have the 25 pilot per month caveat? One hopes not, as that seems like an easy out to bypass a minimum percentage if AA hiring really kicks into high gear.

Assuming the 50% for all and 30 a month for the 824, The remaining 600 of the 824 would only take 1 year and 8 months. A new hire is still looking at AAG having to hire 4340 pilots before they flow.
(1200 hired to get through the remaining 600 of the 824, plus there are 2500 pilots on property, so 2500-930=1570 pilots. At a 50 percent ratio that's 3140 pilots hired at AA plus the 1200 hired which gives me the 4340 pilots)

How long will that take? By the end of 2022 AAG will have retired 4800 pilots, will they have hired 4800 to replace that? That's 600 a year for 8 years.

I don't know if the new AAG plans on growing or shrinking their overall mainline pilot group. I assume with a merger there is always some consolidation and overall slight loss of jobs, compared to being two separate airlines.

Attrition is through the roof at the moment due to many factors. To make the math easier I of course made incorrect assumptions, such as no attrition, and everyone that hasn't flowed yet would accept the flow. I have no idea how many people will leave envoy in the meantime. Currently we are losing a lot of pilots, though I would think that will slow if and when we get some new planes and perhaps an increased flow.

I realize my post is wholly inaccurate due to neglecting attrition, but I don't know of a good way to predict the future attrition.

So what you're saying is "Im angry the golden ticket hasn't produced yet."

Perhaps go out on your own and remove those handcuffs of a flow and perform some "movement" with your own professional background, academic history, flying quality, and go get one of them big boy jobs vs waiting around.

For the record, I hate flows.

So what you're saying is "Im angry the golden ticket hasn't produced yet."

Perhaps go out on your own and remove those handcuffs of a flow and perform some "movement" with your own professional background, academic history, flying quality, and go get one of them big boy jobs vs waiting around.

For the record, I hate flows.

Not at all. What I am trying to do is get a realistic view of the flow.

A lot of people don't even know what the agreements actually are, and some are under the impression we will be flowing very quickly, quicker than the numbers I think support. Is it worth voting yes for something that could potentially take a very long time? How much is the flow really worth?

I'm sorry if I gave the impression "I am angry" or "deserve to flow now." I thought the numbers were interesting, and am looking for opinions and input on said numbers. Also I was hoping there were current employees and prospective new hires out there that might not be informed about the flow and would be interested in the numbers I came up with.

It does seem sketchy but there are certainly a lot of flow and interview agreements popping up. It is slowing things down a bit for otherwise qualified candidates. I'm not quite complaining, yet, because from what I've been told, recruiting is still overwhelmed, anyway.

What happens if eagle closes? Also is psa and pedprops included in flow.

The flow is null and void if there is no envoy. The protected pilot group flow percentage increases to 50 percent of each class in the event envoy furloughs.

PSA and PDT flows or whatever they have are not included in my numbers, and don't have any real impact on the envoy flow.

It seems with the flows and the fact that AA loves military pilots it's hard for anyone who's not an envoy/pdt/psa or military pilot off the street to get an interview.

This. It's not a fairness thing to me. It's more of a "do you want to have control over who gets an interview or not" thing. It seems to me that a lot of weight is being put on getting contracts amended and allowing more peeps from those airlines to interview sooner. As long as it works for the airlines...

When AA and Airways get a SLI and all hiring is combined, watch out. They'll be easily hiring 100+ a month like Delta. Hang on!

I have heard pre 9/11 AA was hiring a hundred a month. I was curious if that was really true, and if it's possible in the future. I guess they have a training bubble now, including a lack of instructors, hence the pause in hiring. I was under the impression hiring is combined now. One also wonders how long the SLI takes and how much of a cluster it becomes.

The SLI is moving along and I believe will be done in Dec 2015.

I think I speak for anyone hired at Airways, they were extremely lucky to get in when they did. Airways was pretty much the only company hiring regular Joe's who just went to work, did their thing and didn't over achieve while there.

FWIW I was commuting one day and the E190 CA had recently been hired from Eagle. Spent a few years there and jumped everyone. The Eagle flow has so many people on the list that those who do flow who are relatively young but junior will be FO's the majority of their career at mainline IMO.

Long term I think DAL would offer a better career and if UAL can get their stuff together they will be raking in the dough. AA from what I am seeing is so stuck in the 'old' way of thinking I fear they will have a tough time competing in the future. Parker has only ever competed on cost and has used the significantly lower labor costs to keep Airways humming, but that is coming to a close soon.The current contract is well below DAL/UAL and even the LCC's offer better soft time credits. I heard a Spirit guy did 170 credit one month, that would be impossible at AA. Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Too all Eagle / Envoy on this board. I and some others at CAPA are writing a rebuttal to a recent article in Civil Aviation Training magazine. The article in question is the typical bashing of the new ATP rule and other issues and as all RAA sponsored stuff it ignores economic reality.

I don't have access the actual proposal from Parker and Kirby. I know a great deal has been written about it. Could someone please compose a bullet point posting of the major features of the management proposal that is so objectionable.

It is laughable that an international training magazine would print some of the weird reasons for why pilots don't want to spend over 100K to become an airline-pilot. They talk about every possible issue except wages / working conditions - job security etc.

I just need some data on the main points of the management proposal.

Thanks in advance.

Too all Eagle / Envoy on this board. I and some others at CAPA are writing a rebuttal to a recent article in Civil Aviation Training magazine. The article in question is the typical bashing of the new ATP rule and other issues and as all RAA sponsored stuff it ignores economic reality.

I don't have access the actual proposal from Parker and Kirby. I know a great deal has been written about it. Could someone please compose a bullet point posting of the major features of the management proposal that is so objectionable.

It is laughable that an international training magazine would print some of the weird reasons for why pilots don't want to spend over 100K to become an airline-pilot. They talk about every possible issue except wages / working conditions - job security etc.

I just need some data on the main points of the management proposal.

Thanks in advance.

We have not received the latest official offer from the company.

Back