Surf Air Hiring

floridabeachbum

Surf Air is looking for both captains and first officers for their PC 12's. They have ordered over 60 new aircraft. Mins are 800 for first officers don't know if that's a hard number or not. Please check thier website for more information. All the best JCers!

Applied twice since April with about 1,000TT and never heard anything. Found work elsewhere but it'll be interesting to see if they contact me again with that kind of time.

Met and talked to a few Surf Air pilots and have yet to meet anyone that looks anywhere under 30. They said they have seen people get hired at 800 hours but it seems as if they're picking you based on how well you can interact with the passengers and how customer service oriented you are. You really have to show that you are willing to go above and beyond when it comes to interacting with the clientele. I can see how some part 121 or freight applicants who may not have the personality they are looking for could have a tough time getting a job with them, despite their qualifications.....after all, this is a company who markets themselves a ship and trendy, but this is all just my own personal observation. Hopefully that helps...

What would be the advantage of working here, career wise than a 121 job? Or is this a retirement job...where once you have it, you stick around for life.

What would be the advantage of working here, career wise than a 121 job? Or is this a retirement job...where once you have it, you stick around for life.

They're apparently doing a good amount of flying right now, so you could definitely build time and solid corporate experience if that's the route you want.

Wish I had the minimums, as a current flight attendant I think I'd actually have a usable skill. The shmooze.

Looks like a fun job. I have the minimums and live in Los Angeles and have considered them many times - I'm currently a CFI and our cross countries usually take us to Surf Air bases and every time I see their crew, they all seem so laid back and stress free. My only concern is the fact that I'd feel like an extra passenger manning that right seat. The PC-12 was designed for single pilot ops. I really do like how they're literally breaking new ground with their business model...will be interesting to follow!

Looks like a fun job. I have the minimums and live in Los Angeles and have considered them many times - I'm currently a CFI and our cross countries usually take us to Surf Air bases and every time I see their crew, they all seem so laid back and stress free. My only concern is the fact that I'd feel like an extra passenger manning that right seat. The PC-12 was designed for single pilot ops. I really do like how they're literally breaking new ground with their business model...will be interesting to follow!
Your full time job could be to look for a suitable area to land when the ONE engine you have quits. Hopefully it's not night/imc.

Why? Its in their OpSpec that they have two crewmembers. So your not just meat in the seat per se.

Derek

Why? Its in their OpSpec that they have two crewmembers. So your not just meat in the seat per se.

Derek

That's true. Hmm, don't get me wrong - I would absolutely love the opportunity to fly SIC on a PC-12. I've just been on a few rides that are multi crew on a single pilot op jet (Phenom 100) and the pilot that's not flying usually does the radios and not much else (PF does gear, flaps etc...), but I guess the word "concern" was not the word I should have used in my original post - either way, Surf Air seems like a sweet opportunity for pilots that live in SoCal to get some turbine and PC-12 time.

I'm curious how their pay compares to the regionals....

Realistically, the guy in the right seat is going to do most of the "customer service" stuff, aka be the flight attendant.

But yes you would at least get to log the time, get the alternate legs and and the PC-12 seems like a pretty cool plane to fly.

I applied and interviewed two years ago when it first started up. They strung me along for a long time and I eventually decided that there was more valuable time to be built than SIC SEL. It was terribly disorganized then, hopefully better now. Maybe a good niche job if it is what you are looking for but definitely not a career builder, especially with ever regional hiring right now directly into glass cockpit turbofan aircraft that actually require a crew...

I interviewed before they opened the doors and most of the people interviewing had 5000 + hours. I was surprised at the level of experience people looking for this job, I guess its just a sign of the economy 2 years ago.

They are expanding like crazy, I have seen them open up Carlsbad CA and Truckee recently. From what I have seen most of the pilots currently filling both seats are in their 50s. I imagine they are trying to round out the right seat with some younger guys willing to be parked there a while.

I was told to look into surfair as a current CFI, airlines want people with crew experience. They look to be expanding quite a bit with 15 firm orders of pc12 and 50 optioned. They could turn into a larger company servicing the whole west coast. Would working for surfair for a period of time give one the ability to bypass the regional route and move to a major. That's just my thinking. Does anyone have any onsite on my logic?

I was told to look into surfair as a current CFI, airlines want people with crew experience. They look to be expanding quite a bit with 15 firm orders of pc12 and 50 optioned. They could turn into a larger company servicing the whole west coast. Would working for surfair for a period of time give one the ability to bypass the regional route and move to a major. That's just my thinking. Does anyone have any onsite on my logic?
As far as quality time for the airlines... I can't speak to the majors but regionals require a pulse and 1500 at this point. Quality is not so important for the hiring process. Not sure things would work out without jet pic at the majors. But starting right seat pay looks comparable to a regional FO...

Back