Jumpseat question

will_fly_for_bandwith

I have just moved into the 121 word and have had the privilege to jumpseat a few times.

I flew up from tpa to ewr yesterday, I listed at the United gate and was given a seat in the back. I boarded with my group but ducked into the flight deck to ask the cap for a ride. He indicated that as I had a seat in the back there was no need to checkin with him.
A week ago a AA capt. mumbled something about this to as I introduced myself to him.

So am I doing the right thing?

Last edited:
I have just moved unto the 121 word and have had the privilege to jumpseat a few times.

I flew up from tpa to ewr yesterday, I listed at the United gate and was given a seat in the back. I boarded with my group but ducked into the flight deck to ask the cap for a ride. He indicated that as I had a seat in the back there was no need to checkin with him.
A week ago a AA capt. mumbled something about this too as I introduced myself to him.

So am I doing the right thing?

Yes, if you're jumpseating, always check-in up front! If they dismiss your doing so then so be it but always stop by and ask for a ride.

Always introduce yourself to the crew regardless where you're sitting, it's a courtesy that can't hurt the situation. I wait until the crew is finished with their checks and then introduce myself with a hand shake and my badge. I have had a few capts say I didn't need to introduce myself, and I would leave it at that, but I would bet 90% of the crews appreciate the courtesy.

Yes, if you're jumpseating, always check-in up front! If they dismiss your doing so then so be it but always stop by and ask for a ride.
The one time that I've seen someone ushered off is when they failed to check in with the Captain.

Indeed, doesn't it say "CHECK IN WITH CAPTAIN AND FLIGHT LEADER UPON BOARDING" on the Delta jumpseat passes?

Always check in. I'm new to 121 too and I'm a commuter, so I always say hello and goodbye to the crew. Last thing I'd want is to get kicked off when I'm trying to go home

I'm almost positive if you're in uniform you're required to notify the captain you're on board, but funny you mention AA though. Last week I was catching a ride home, in uniform and I went to the front to greet the crew and ask for a ride, even though I had a ticket for a seat in the back. I told the captain I just wanted to stop in, say thank you etc, but the captain actually gave just a little bit of an attitude and said "You know you're required to check in up front every time, right?" I told him absolutely, thanked him and took my seat, but I was just slightly put off by the attitude. I mean I went up front on my own to check in before taking a seat, doesn't that mean I know to check in with them? o_O

Edit: I've noticed Southwest and Delta boarding passes say check in with captain, but if I get a seat with American or United it just looks like a regular boarding pass.

The one time that I've seen someone ushered off is when they failed to check in with the Captain.

Indeed, doesn't it say "CHECK IN WITH CAPTAIN AND FLIGHT LEADER UPON BOARDING" on the Delta jumpseat passes?

Not if the gate agent clears you...

I've seen it happen with OALs, once cleared for a seat in the back, no more "01P" paperwork.

I was positive spaced this morning and still popped my head in to introduce myself to the crew and thanked them for the ride. The captain thanked me for doing it.

When I list for the js but get a seat in the back I introduce myself to the crew, tell them I listed for the jumpseat but was given a seat in the back and I ask if that's ok. If the js is the only option I'll ask the crew if I can ride along with them

I would much rather be told that I didn't need to do it than be told that I need to try on the next flight

Really, a Capt pulled off a jumpseater who was riding in the back just because he didn't say hi? I would have been quite upset had that happened to me. And I can't think of why you would be REQUIRED to check in if you were in uniform if you were a paying customer. Screw that, I will take my seat with the sheeple and be asleep before the door closes. I no longer have jump seating privileges, but I am fairly certain that I didn't check in a few times when I did. And I KNOW that if I had a ticket I didn't check in.

Really, a Capt pulled off a jumpseater who was riding in the back just because he didn't say hi? I would have been quite upset had that happened to me. And I can't think of why you would be REQUIRED to check in if you were in uniform if you were a paying customer. Screw that, I will take my seat with the sheeple and be asleep before the door closes. I no longer have jump seating privileges, but I am fairly certain that I didn't check in a few times when I did. And I KNOW that if I had a ticket I didn't check in.

If you are riding on a paid ticket you aren't jumpseating.

If you are trying to ride for free, based on an agreement your pilot group has with the pilot group operating the aircraft you are trying to catch a ride on, damn skippy you need to come up and, not just say hi, but actually ask if you can have a ride. That's how it works. The ride is AT THE CAPTAIN'S DISCRETION.

I've only booted 3 guys from the "jumpseat" (and that includes riding in the back without a being a non rev). One was a scab. One worked for GoJets and told me he worked for Trans States (Airlines, not Holdings). And one never said hi and then told me that my FO told him to just go sit in the back and he was all set, which never happened because my FO still hadn't gotten to the plane yet.

Captain's discretion, Holmes.
I've only booted 3 guys from the "jumpseat" (and that includes riding in the back without a being a non rev). One was a scab. One worked for GoJets and told me he worked for Trans States (Airlines, not Holdings). And one never said hi and then told me that my FO told him to just go sit in the back and he was all set, which never happened because my FO still hadn't gotten to the plane yet.
Basically that, too.

Most of my experience jumpseating has been on Delta, which always expects jumpseaters to check in. But lately I've been riding on US Airways, and apparently they do NOT expect or want you to check in if you're given a seat in the back. I've gotten a lot of crap for trying to check in with the captain, as if I'm doing something wrong. It's frustrating because it's a courtesy, yet you get yelled at by a captain for trying to respect their authority.

Anyway, I still check in and expect the occasional dress-down by the captain.

Most of my experience jumpseating has been on Delta, which always expects jumpseaters to check in. But lately I've been riding on US Airways, and apparently they do NOT expect or want you to check in if you're given a seat in the back. I've gotten a lot of crap for trying to check in with the captain, as if I'm doing something wrong. It's frustrating because it's a courtesy, yet you get yelled at by a captain for trying to respect their authority.

Anyway, I still check in and expect the occasional dress-down by the captain.

Yeah, we're trying to change of the mentality of the PITbulls guarding the door and not allowing anyone access to the flight deck. They're just supposed to allow anyone up, but old habits are hard to change. I've heard rumors of one of our finest reaming out the 2nd man on the moon because he went forward.

Back