New Pictometry Vendor

I've wondered that myself. The 206 is obviously proven, but maybe it's not compatible with what they use? I doubt Picto cares too much about the acquisition costs, and you have to figure a slightly higher up front cost is going to pay for itself in the made up revenue.

The only 206 flying Picto equipment is from the Canadian vendor. The reason I had heard for that was that the FAA never approved of the modification Pictometry proposed, but the Canadian equivalent did.

Is that 500 a hard minimum? I've been very interested in aerial survey jobs but am sitting at 409TT with a CFI/CFII and don't want to start working at a place only to leave in a couple of months.
Right now it is. We are still negotiating with the insurance company so that may change but would not go below 350 in any case. I'll go ahead and take resumes from pilots with >350 but understand that you may not qualify if we can't effectively get the insurance mins down.

The idea of using the twins is risk management on the part of Pictometry - the redundancy of the second engine over mountainous and other terrain that would make an engine out/off airport landing difficult for a single.

Right now it is. We are still negotiating with the insurance company so that may change but would not go below 350 in any case. I'll go ahead and take resumes from pilots with >350 but understand that you may not qualify if we can't effectively get the insurance mins down.
Thanks. I sent in my resume yesterday just in case anyway.

The idea of using the twins is risk management on the part of Pictometry - the redundancy of the second engine over mountainous and other terrain that would make an engine out/off airport landing difficult for a single.
Haha they must not be too familiar with light twins.
The AC690 is a proven platform that would actually deal with the altitude but the operating cost is probably a touch high.
What would be cool is something like a pac750. Turbine uptime and reliability.

Hey Bryan for people who worked for you last year, do they need to submit a resume for the new company if they want to come back and work for you?

Last edited:
Ah yes...so we'll still have electrical power to save the shot data and shut down the rig before we crash lol
I don't get it. In my multi engine training I did a engine out and flew a while without it, my instructor felt it would be good training and we landed at the airport - not the one where the flight originated. properly trained y'all make it to the next airstrip. Picto in their assignments are really good at putting you near an airport I should know I flew for them. Still trying to find the humor.......hmmmmmmm

Last edited:
Hey Bryan for people who worked for you last year, do they need to submit a resume for the new company if they want to come back and work for you?
Yes. Anyone who ended the last DWAS season in good standing is eligible (though not guaranteed) for re-hire but I still need them to submit a new resume with updated times and any other relevant info.

Ah yes...so we'll still have electrical power to save the shot data and shut down the rig before we crash lol
Well we can have a sense of humor about the risks we all know are real but Pictometry is as concerned about safety as much as we are. No complaints there at all.

Well we can have a sense of humor about the risks we all know are real but Pictometry is as concerned about safety as much as we are. No complaints there at all.

Oh I know, they're a great group of guys. I honestly have no complaints about them at all.

I don't get it. In my multi engine training I did a engine out and flew a while without it, my instructor felt it would be good training and we landed at the airport - not the one where the flight originated. properly trained y'all make it to the next airstrip. Picto in their assignments are really good at putting you near an airport I should know I flew for them. Still trying to find the humor.......hmmmmmmm

Engine shutdowns/failures are not an issue at sea level. In the mountains during the summer, when the airport you take off from has a density altitude of 8K.....you're not going to have a good time if you lose an engine. I should know, I've flown the last 1300 hours doing picto, 900 of which was in the aztec.

Back