Interviews and checkride failures

Busta McRuffsta

The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rolla
Anyone with a recent interview know how much the airlines are still looking at failed checkrides and how many will disqualify you?

Most will still disqualify you if you have more than 2 failures. I don't know of any that won't.

I recently qualified at Eagle with 2 failures and know both Eagle and Colgan disqualify if more than 2 failures. However, I know a few CFI buddies who are recent new hires for Pinnacle and Republic that have 3 and even 4 failures on their records. The 4 time checkride failure guy just passed the EMB-190 checkride and starting IOE and I congratulate him just as much as I would anyone else. Failures should be reviewed as case by case scenarios. Especially, regarding Initial CFI checkrides, lapsed time, and several other mitigating circumstances. Last, with desperate need of pilots over the next 5 years, the airlines will not be able to staff their fleet unless they change the checkride failure rules. Domestic flight instruction is low and minimums are being dropped quickly to help subsidize. Their are far too many great aviators in this industry that are being passed over because of times of immaturity during training especially relative to college , poor examiners, and lapsed time that is now not allowing for them to be employeed especially for low pay. The fact of the matter is if the airlines Interviewing process, training, and passed 121 checkride is found proficent then the new hire should be privileged to fly for that desired airline reardless of 3 busted checkrides back in immature college years (just one example).

I have 3 check ride failures (2 were for CFI and one for a commercial add-on) and I was picked up my Lakes and have a TSA interview. If you're a potential PR nightmare for a company (because of check ride issues) then you'll get passed over for dog poo. Always hear the "just be honest with them" response, but hardly anyone will give you the chance to be honest, which is the sad reality. I have now joined the "undesirables" and am being outcast and subject to judgement because I can't go to the almighty American Eagle.

Eclipse says it right.. It's all about circumstance and explanation in my opinion..

I have two. In my recent interviews they asked what happened, how'd the recheck go, and one guy asked me "turn the tables.. would you have failed yourself?".

Just be honest with them. The worst thing you can do is try to fool PRIA.. aint gonna happen

failed(but partial failure only) 2, 2 add-on, nothing important in my point of view.Just a few things the examiner wanted to check with me.
Specially when after I passed all the JAA first time.

but that was 13 years ago, how long the FAA keep track of it. How an airlne will check? they call the FAA?

failed(but partial failure only) 2, 2 add-on, nothing important in my point of view.Just a few things the examiner wanted to check with me.
Specially when after I passed all the JAA first time.

but that was 13 years ago, how long the FAA keep track of it. How an airlne will check? they call the FAA?

records used to be kept for only 5 years...but after the colgan thing....they are kept forever...FOOORRRREEEEVVVVEEEERRRR

Honestly if the question asks how many check rides have you failed or how many speeding tickets you've had, ANSWER THE FREAKING QUESTION! It doesn't ask what your PRIA will show. Be an adult and answer honestly. Do you really want to walk around at your new job during training thinking, "wow I'm glad my lie worked out and I really hope they don't find out." If you tell an interviewer about a failure you MAY not get the job. If you lie and get caught you WILL get fired and you WILL have difficulty getting other jobs...at least I sure hope you'll have trouble because I have no desire to fly with someone of your character.

Have you ever heard of someone being fired for missing one question during the oral part of a check ride?

I recently qualified at Eagle with 2 failures and know both Eagle and Colgan disqualify if more than 2 failures. However, I know a few CFI buddies who are recent new hires for Pinnacle and Republic that have 3 and even 4 failures on their records. The 4 time checkride failure guy just passed the EMB-190 checkride and starting IOE and I congratulate him just as much as I would anyone else. Failures should be reviewed as case by case scenarios. Especially, regarding Initial CFI checkrides, lapsed time, and several other mitigating circumstances. Last, with desperate need of pilots over the next 5 years, the airlines will not be able to staff their fleet unless they change the checkride failure rules. Domestic flight instruction is low and minimums are being dropped quickly to help subsidize. Their are far too many great aviators in this industry that are being passed over because of times of immaturity during training especially relative to college , poor examiners, and lapsed time that is now not allowing for them to be employeed especially for low pay. The fact of the matter is if the airlines Interviewing process, training, and passed 121 checkride is found proficent then the new hire should be privileged to fly for that desired airline reardless of 3 busted checkrides back in immature college years (just one example).

Thats great and I completely agree, but since we are more or less competing for jobs based on how many "boxes" we can check on an application, this rational doesnt matter. Of course its bogus to disqualify a guy cause of busted part 61 checkrides 5-10+ years ago, but they have to weed out the applicants somehow. Checkride failures is just an easy way for HR to narrow down the list of applicants. I hope youre right about the pilot shortage though (dont we all?)

I am sort of facing this issue as I failed my private(legit failure) and commercial (that one was BOGUS). I have another checkride coming up in a few days which they tell me 50% of the people fail the first time around. It sucks, but thats life. If I cant work at Eagle cause of 2-3 busted checkrides out of over 20 I have taken so far in this career, I can live with that... I think

Check rides (FAA practical tests) - forever.

Accidents and Enforcements - until recently, five years, now it is back to forever.

But, as others have written, always answer every question honestly regardless of anything else.

Hi everyone,

One instructor told me that checkride failures are on certificates...so If I fail twice the private and twice the commercial; then I have two failed checkrides. Is this correct ?

Thanks

Two failures for the same rating is a permanent black mark on your record, sorry.

BTW I heard conflicting statements about part 141 busts. So perhaps two 141 private busts count as one or even zero. But I doubt it would matter for the employment purposes.

Two failures for the same rating is a permanent black mark on your record, sorry.

BTW I heard conflicting statements about part 141 busts. So perhaps two 141 private busts count as one or even zero. But I doubt it would matter for the employment purposes.
I have that "black mark", maybe even exceed it actually. But bottom line is that I am currently flying the line at Horizon. All part 61 schools

Wfiw, there's a new hire at B6 who failed six pc checks at his previous employer who went bankrupt, and has no records custodian. Who knows how many prior to this.

Suppose a guy goes to a 141 school and fails some stage checks. Some stage checks were for certificates and some were not. It's been years and he really doesn't recall what failures were for what certificate not thinking it was all that important at the time to remember. What is required to be reported? I've heard that no 141 failures ever get reported to the FAA. What about 142 failures?

Suppose a guy goes to a 141 school and fails some stage checks. Some stage checks were for certificates and some were not. It's been years and he really doesn't recall what failures were for what certificate not thinking it was all that important at the time to remember. What is required to be reported? I've heard that no 141 failures ever get reported to the FAA. What about 142 failures?
There seem to be a lot of conflicting opinions on 141 stage check/check ride busts. probably a result of people confusing the two different events in the 141 world.

This is completely anecdotal but my school did not have examination authority. All of our students did actual check rides with a DPE. With that said, each syllabus still had 141 stage checks built into it, for evaluation to proceed to further stages of training with in the same course. When I gave a stage check and busted someone that information was written on a folder that was then kept by the school for a few years. That information went no where else. Nothing reported to the FAA, THAT I AM AWARE OF.

Now my understanding is if it is a end of course "stage check" for the actual issuance of a certificate in a school with examination authority, as far as record keeping goes, it's essentially the same as an actual practical test that is recorded as part of your airman file. I would divulge that.

If you busted your instrument stage 1 stage check? Meh, that's up to you. I can tell you I didn't divulge any 141 stage check failures...and I am pretty sure i failed one or two. However, that was years before I started applying and honestly couldn't tell you which ones, or really if I even did. I THINK I did, but that's the best I could tell you.

I think busting rides is the least of your concern when I know two regionals who have picked up guys with previous DUI busts. One was pretty recent.

One guy with two.

Back