A letter to X Airlines, and ALL Regionals for that matter.

Like if and when airline bankruptcy strikes.

You're going to have the people that are going to jump off a building (true story bro), those that adjust their trim and weather the storm or those have the flexibility to jump ship to a better opportunity.

Personally, I'd want to be the one with the ability to jump at a better opportunity, Op Op @X-Forces style.
MMMTO, I'm always available to the highest bidder.

After having read this thread I have to agree with @Derg for all of us being lazy and not networkig we'd all be at Delta without ever being a captain at a regional.

*yawn* Now I just have to figure out how to get this posting on JC to pay money and put that towards more job fairs.

Pay me five bucks and I guarantee every post I make on your behalf with recieve two likes or your money back.

After having read this thread I have to agree with @Derg for all of us being lazy and not networkig we'd all be at Delta without ever being a captain at a regional.

*yawn* Now I just have to figure out how to get this posting on JC to pay money and put that towards more job fairs.

Pay me five bucks and I guarantee every post I make on your behalf with recieve two likes or your money back.

Let me clarify before someone who reads half paragraphs and mischaracterizes what I said.

If you're THAT pissed off, if you're so filled with rage and angst, it's wasted energy that you can be directing toward improving your situation.

Happy and content you are? Cool, enjoy.

But if you're not, you're not stuck. You have resources. Bitching on the internet and expecting a miracle to happen isn't part of a winning plan for success. For anything.

I never said go to job fairs as I'm not really sure if they make a difference and that's absolutely the worst place to look for a high level networking contact.

As always, do what you want, it's your career. But if I had a dime for every guy who wanted to break into corporate aviation, bitched about a lack of opportunity, when there's chief pilot of an corporate operation with aircraft as large as A319's, or a chief pilot of another large corporate/charter operation sitting right there browsing the thread, I'd be retired by now.

Let me clarify before someone who reads half paragraphs and mischaracterizes what I said.

If you're THAT pissed off, if you're so filled with rage and angst, it's wasted energy that you can be directing toward improving your situation.

But if you're not, you're not stuck. You have resources. Bitching on the internet and expecting a miracle to happen isn't part of a winning plan for success. For anything.

I never said go to job fairs as I'm not really sure if they make a difference and that's absolutely the worst place to look for a high level networking contact.

As always, do what you want, it's your career. But if I had a dime for every guy who wanted to break into corporate aviation, bitched about a lack of opportunity, when there's chief pilot of an corporate operation with aircraft as large as A319's, or a chief pilot of another large corporate/charter operation sitting right there browsing the thread, I'd be retired by now.
A dime? I just got started and already you are undercutting me? Why cant you be happy flying big metal to far away place Derg?

Christ it's a dog eat dog world out there. Im lowing my cost to five cents. Help out the little guy ya'll. Zap gets a free tshirt for his check already mailed. Hes already a giant bag of fail for having been a regional captain before he made it to the big leagues, he needs all the help he can get.

Last edited:

To be really blunt and concise about it: All OP has really accomplished is ensure an entire industry sector won't look at him, along with pissing off an HR guy or gal who has little control over the airline's compensation practices.

I find neither of these positive things.

Complete thread drift, your avatar amuses me, what is that from? Sort of reminds me of my own pets when they get a good catch or meal....boy are they proud, practically beaming. My pets make me laugh.. :). Anyways, carry on.

Oh, PS, if I've asked before, I apologize!

It's actually a gif but they aren't allowed here :( #otteroverload #deadlwithit

groovyotterz.gif

Christmas theme too!

christmasi.gif

Might have hand drawn it too when I was bored one day....

4IZCF.gif

And who doesn't love ms paint

deadpixel.gif

Pretty much. If you focus your time and effort in the right direction, more work will lead to more reward. But you have to weigh the loss in time off towards the money in the bank. Two of my best friends are 23 just like me and already pushing close to six figures. But they almost never stop working. My old roommate in San Jose is paying $575/mo for rent at our old place and making $80k a year right off the bat at an engineering job he landed right out of college. But he's responsible for keeping a production line running, and anytime it goes down, he has to go and resolve it. My other friend started promoting events with a DJ buddy in a small college town in NorCal while they were still in school. Now he's hosting big names like Krewella, Steve Aioki and Laidback Luke in downtown SF, snap chatting celebs, and every hot girl we know is on his D trying to get hook ups. But when those big names or hot girls want to hang out, he never has time, he's working an event or planning one. I see him maybe 2-3 times a month and I'm the only friend outside his industry he even hangs out with. Yeah he gets paid to party, but he goes through tons of stress weeks ahead of an event before he sees any cash. Both of these friends now have trouble relating to people because they're so wrapped up in work.

Pay is horrible as far as I'm concerned at the regionals, well under $30/hr to carry up to 99 people thousands of feet into the sky at hundreds of miles an hour and ensure that you get them and the multi-million dollar airplane on the ground, on time, accepting the responsibility that you could be the first one to ever face a new kind of emergency at any minute and hold all those lives in your hand? It sounds like a bad joke with no pun. Pax should be pissed too, because mainline carriers are pretty much saying, "We'll sell you a ticket on our airline, but we really don't care about your well-being or our own reputation, so instead we're putting you on a 3 hour flight in a regional jet flown by a contractor where one pilot is sulking about the fact he can barely survive living in a crash pad with 4 other guys and the other is wiped out because they had minimum rest the night before. That way, we can beat the other airline by $20 and you'll click on us in your Priceline search!". The reality, however, is this has become the norm. With contracts out calling for "4 year F/O salary caps", I fully expect things at the regionals to get worse, not better. But at the end of the day, who has a better life? The guy who lives in base pulling in 40k in the right seat at a regional, who parks the jet and goes off to live his life with the ability to travel pretty much anywhere he wants or start another source of income, or the guy who rakes in twice that but doesn't know what to do with themselves if and when they do have a day off?

With the changes to the regionals over the past few years, especially the ATP rule, there is only one thing that doesn't make me want to drop the idea of 121 flying entirely and focus solely on other incomes: MMTO. I don't know anyone outside of flying who makes more money than most of the 10 year+ airline pilots I know AND has more time off. I'm sure people do, but unless you were born into money, it usually requires many years of working your ass(you can totally say ass on here) off with little or no personal life to get to the point of lavish living. Plus, I love to fly. I'd hope we all do. And while the public perception isn't what it used to be, and most airline executives could care less about the well-being of their pilots, it is still a very important job. You're taking people hundreds or thousands of miles away so that they can be re-united with people they love, or start a new life or job, or close a deal, or go on the trip of a lifetime. We know the planes don't really fly themselves, the members here are the one's who make this happen. You can make a low six-figure income pushing paper at a 9-5 making a rich person richer, but there is actually purpose in the work you do as an airline pilot. We are lucky to have a passion that we can equate into a sustainable living that many could only dream of. Nothing is guaranteed, and things are a far cry from being close to perfect, but there is a reason everyone who ever signed with a regional took that first year pay. As far as moving on goes, I've always wondered how many people who are "stuck" at a regional are actually updating apps with all the majors they hope to work for and networking rather than hitting apply and bitching about never getting a call back.

Get in, do what you can to make things better than you found them, don't forget to slow down and enjoy what you do, but don't get comfortable and make sure you network, network, apply, and GET THE HELL OUT. Just my $.02 as a guy with a 121 regional flying goal with a solid non-flying back-up.

Last edited:
@ChasenSFO - So what you're saying is don't get hired at "Regional", get married, let the wife quit, crank some babies out and bitch about not being able to afford to apply for American or not being able to stick out the $65K starting pay at SouthernJets (and pays near $100K in year 2) and, well, gotta have weekends off because the three year old is a Ju-Jitsu master and has practice? :)

I've hear this… ALL THE DAMNED TIME... "but help me, Derg!" :)

Back