Sierra academy instructor job (thoughts)

jgheggie

Hello,

Today I spoke with Scott from Sierra academy of aeronautics in Atwater, Ca. He has offered me the chance to attend their cfi program for "free" at first...

It sounds like I would sign a 1yr 1000hr contract with the school. I would get my cfi, cfii, and mei, and then instruct for them. They will then take payments back for the cost out of my instructor pay.

Good idea?? Bad idea?? Anyone doing this now or in the past?

They didn't give detail about how much they would take out of my instructor paycheck each time. However rent is free and breakfast and lunch are free at the restaurant for instructors.

Well after more communication and research it seems that they keep ALL of your pay during the contract period :(. But they do have free housing and food.

Plus...$1500 deposit that is refunded after the 1yr or 1000hrs.

Turns out you are paid. After getting cfi you are obligated to stay for 1000 hrs or 1 year. Whichever comes first. During which, the pay is $17-20 per hr air or ground. They say instructors are flying 100 hrs per month and billing 60-70 ground hrs. Free housing for instructors. Free breakfast and lunch...no dinner I guess :(.

Seems like a decent opportunity for low timers with no cfi. The only major catch I see is a $1500 deposit that gets refunded after the contract.

I was hoping to find someone who is doing this or has done it for some insight. Other opinions are helpful...but just opinions.

Thanks

I would still do it if I were in your shoes. Heck, if they would pay for my MEI also, I would strongly still want to go now.

Turns out you are paid. After getting cfi you are obligated to stay for 1000 hrs or 1 year. Whichever comes first. During which, the pay is $17-20 per hr air or ground. They say instructors are flying 100 hrs per month and billing 60-70 ground hrs. Free housing for instructors. Free breakfast and lunch...no dinner I guess :(.

Seems like a decent opportunity for low timers with no cfi. The only major catch I see is a $1500 deposit that gets refunded after the contract.

I was hoping to find someone who is doing this or has done it for some insight. Other opinions are helpful...but just opinions.

Thanks
I'd tell them I'd love to come instruct but don't have the $1500 to deposit. That being said, provided you get all certificates, even if they didn't give you the 1500 at the end it still would be a bargain.

I'd tell them I'd love to come instruct but don't have the $1500 to deposit. That being said, provided you get all certificates, even if they didn't give you the 1500 at the end it still would be a bargain.
I agree...that's probably what I am going to tell them. Cfi,cfii, and mei will all cost $15k. So it's not a bad set up....

It sounds to good to be true because it is to good to be true..... this is the last place I would advise anyone to work at.... I worked there and while yes you do get to fly a lot the housing is not good and the food is not good at all... there is only free lunch and only on the weekdays and even at that it's not good most all of the instructors here cannot stand the food and do not eat it... It's not a good place the aircraft are bad to say the least. the maint department should not be allowed to touch an aircraft they do not know what they are doing. they just had several engine failures in a row due to poor management.. also if you take there deal you will be there for the full yr since the guys they have that are getting there cfi's paid for there are only doing ground I watched one of them have to wait for three mo before they let him start flying after having to take his AGI to teach ground first till they would let him instruct.... I will say that the instructors there are a great group of people but that is it.... there is no other good thing about Sierra..... I wish I had stayed away so that I wouldn't have to have such a bad permanent stain on my resume from working there....

It sounds to good to be true because it is to good to be true..... this is the last place I would advise anyone to work at.... I worked there and while yes you do get to fly a lot the housing is not good and the food is not good at all... there is only free lunch and only on the weekdays and even at that it's not good most all of the instructors here cannot stand the food and do not eat it... It's not a good place the aircraft are bad to say the least. the maint department should not be allowed to touch an aircraft they do not know what they are doing. they just had several engine failures in a row due to poor management.. also if you take there deal you will be there for the full yr since the guys they have that are getting there cfi's paid for there are only doing ground I watched one of them have to wait for three mo before they let him start flying after having to take his AGI to teach ground first till they would let him instruct.... I will say that the instructors there are a great group of people but that is it.... there is no other good thing about Sierra..... I wish I had stayed away so that I wouldn't have to have such a bad permanent stain on my resume from working there....
Thanks for the insight. Are you still at Sierra?

Why is this website so full of sarcasm? Everyone steps on everyone regardless if their career level. This forum is supposed to be helpful, and yet people just want to be sarcastic.

Are there anyone currently working there right now to give us updates? I know past instructors have something to say but we want to know management nowadays and see any improvement so far. But if its still the same, then don't know what to say..

I mean how bad can it be? lol

Are there anyone currently working there right now to give us updates? I know past instructors have something to say but we want to know management nowadays and see any improvement so far. But if its still the same, then don't know what to say..

I mean how bad can it be? lol
Are you looking into going there? Someone has emailed who is currently there. I'm going to speak with him over the phone this evening. If you want more infor I can relay it.

Back