Delta electronic flight bag

DE727UPS

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-equip-11-000-pilots-150000465.html

ATLANTA and REDMOND, Wash., Sept. 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Delta Air Lines (DAL) is equipping its 11,000 pilots with the Microsoft Surface 2 tablet, which will be used initially as an electronic flight bag to replace heavy paper-based flight kits containing navigational charts and aircraft operating and reference manuals. Device rollout to pilots flying the Boeing 757 and Boeing 767 fleets will start later this year and all Delta cockpits are projected to be paperless by the end of 2014.

The Surface 2 will run on the Windows RT 8.1 platform and provide flight crews easy access to essential tools and the most up-to-date flight-related resources, including navigational charts, reference documents and checklists while saving the airline $13 million per year in fuel and associated costs.

"Delta's electronic flight bag running on Surface 2 continues the technological strides Delta has been making to give our crews the best tools to keep them flying safely and efficiently," said Capt. Steve Dickson, Delta's senior vice president – Flight Operations. "This intuitive device puts key information at our pilots' fingertips right when they need it. By eliminating paper, we'll reduce clutter and minimize time spent looking for flight information, allowing our pilots the opportunity to develop greater situational awareness in the air and on the ground."

Electronic flight bag to support real-time access to resources
Delta's electronic flight bag will leverage Jeppesen's industry-leading FliteDeck Pro application built specifically for the Windows platform. The interactive software gives flight crews quicker and more efficient access to key, real-time information and resources such as dynamic charts and navigation utilities that help them better manage the safe operation of their aircraft.

"Delivering digital flight information through FliteDeck Pro on the Surface tablet platform will increase situational awareness and improve operational efficiency for Delta Air Lines," said Tim Huegel, director, Jeppesen Aviation Portfolio Management. "This EFB integration program highlights a successful collaboration between Delta, Microsoft and Jeppesen and we congratulate Delta on the digital transformation of their flight deck operations."

With the Windows RT 8.1 operating system, pilots will be able to open two applications side-by-side, offering, for example, the opportunity to assess weather information alongside proposed flight paths. The Live Tile user interface in Windows 8.1 can feed up-to-the-minute information to crew members while the Surface 2's true high-resolution 1080p touchscreen display adds detail to maps and other resources.

Delta expects to receive approval from the FAA to use the tablets during all phases of flight next year, a process that follows an extensive period of testing on board Boeing 757 and Boeing 767 aircraft. Approvals for all subsequent fleet types are expected by the end of 2014. The Surface tablets fully integrate handheld technology in the flight deck, streamlining organization of necessary materials and ensuring continuity of information accessed by pilots while giving them the latest tools to drive operational and cost improvements. The reduction of paper in the cockpit also reduces clutter and allows pilots to spend more time focusing on flying the aircraft as they will benefit from an intuitive user interface that features functions to find information faster, without having to hunt for appropriate manuals in flight bags or page through paper documents.

"The integration of the electronic flight bag is part of Delta's broader move to upgrade flight deck equipment, deploy technology enhancements and take advantage of airspace modernization efforts," said Dickson. "With these improvements, we're able to reduce the airline's environmental impact while providing a great deal of flexibility to continue to add mobile technology solutions into our flying operations."

Maximizing efficiencies for environmental benefit
Rolling out the Surface 2 tablets across the entire fleet and eliminating paper in the cockpit means the carrier will remove traditional 38-pound pilot flight bags maintained on board aircraft for each pilot. That critical weight reduction is expected to reduce fuel usage by an estimated 1.2 million gallons per year which translates to a 26-million-pound reduction in carbon emissions — the equivalent of taking more than 2,300 passenger cars off the road. Additionally, the tablet will cut the airline's paper usage by 7.5 million sheets annually and save an estimated 900 trees each year.

In the coming years, Delta plans to expand the functionality of the EFB equipment and increase the efficiency of the operation by providing pilots with electronic dispatch and flight release information, access to real-time weather forecasts, up-to-the-minute operational information and dynamic communication with aircraft technicians on the ground.

"We set out to make Surface the most productive tablet, so we couldn't be more excited to help Delta pilots be more productive and help the environment," said Brian Hall, Surface general manager at Microsoft. "This announcement demonstrates Delta's absolute commitment to bringing the best in technology innovation into their flight operations. The full HD Surface screen and ten-hour battery life will be perfect for flights where Delta pilots will get seamless real-time data and visualization in a variety of lighting conditions. And then they can be productive off the plane with Microsoft Office and our click-in keyboard. We look forward to seeing how Delta amazes us with its Surfaces."

The move to a paperless cockpit follows Delta's industry-leading launch of handheld devices for its 19,000 flight attendants that runs on Windows Phone-based software. Delta flight attendants began using the Nokia Lumia 820 in August and are able to access customer and flight information while using Dynamics for Retail technology for easy onboard customer purchases.

Screw drivers are amazing tools, everyone is talking about how great screw drivers are, how they've made things simpler and much easier to get work done, screw drivers have really proven their value and reliability.

Delta: That's awesome, lets buy a bunch of hammers.

Screw drivers are amazing tools, everyone is talking about how great screw drivers are, how they've made things simpler and much easier to get work done, screw drivers have really proven their value and reliability.

Delta: That's awesome, lets buy a bunch of hammers.
That's roughly how I read it to. Laughing the whole time.

That's roughly how I read it to. Laughing the whole time.
I don't know, I wouldn't throw Widget quite under the bus that quickly. Enterprise management of iOS ranges from "bad" to "aggravating."

Say what you want about Microsoft, but their conquering of the business world is not solely due to unfair business practices. ;)

I have a Windows 8 netbook, so far it's been excellent. The Windows tablets look interesting, and a lot more capable than the iPads. They also integrate with regular Windows software.

I have a Windows 8 netbook, so far it's been excellent. The Windows tablets look interesting, and a lot more capable than the iPads. They also integrate with regular Windows software.

I like the looks of the Surface, but, well....Aviation apps? Foreflight on the way? I hate apple and keep trying to find an alternative but it just seems like Ipad is better for GA pilots.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Say what you want about Microsoft, but their conquering of the business world is not solely due to unfair business practices. ;)

Much like Blackberry conquered the business world a few years ago? We see how well that ended.

It is all about innovation. The winner of the Mac/PC war has yet to be determined, but Mac certainly is several laps ahead of Windows based products.

Last edited:
I like the looks of the Surface, but, well....Aviation apps? Foreflight on the way? I hate apple and keep trying to find an alternative but it just seems like Ipad is better for GA pilots.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
For GA Foreflight is about the best thing out there. For Airline stuff all they need is a simple way to pull up maps, charts and docs and don't need all the extra FBO, flight planning and weather aspects that come with Foreflight.

I have a friend who has used AnywhereMap on a Windows tablet PC for years. Has looked at both the iPad and Android and still likes what he's been using best.

I have a friend who has used AnywhereMap on a Windows tablet PC for years. Has looked at both the iPad and Android and still likes what he's been using best.
I still have my anywhere map too. I run it on a Compaq iPAQ (if you know what that is) or believe it or not a 2004 Averatec Tablet (yes there were tablets before iPads). I like that the hockeypuck GPS is WAAS. 8).

I also do foreflight on a iPad 1.

Last edited:
My grandmother has used BetaMax and LaserDisc's for years. She has looked at both DVD and Streaming Online Video and she still likes what she's been using best.
OTOH my friend, probably unlike your grandmother, is doing very well in the high-tech industry, so it's not as though he doesn't understand this stuff.

Throw enough money and programming skill at this and it'll run just fine. The sooner we realize that the hardware you run things on doesn't matter anymore, the better off we'll be.

At this point I'm pretty sure with enough time and money, even @Autothrust Blue could program an entire suite of software that would do everything an airline could ever want a device to do, whether it's running Windows Mobile, iOS or Android.

Throw enough money and programming skill at this and it'll run just fine. The sooner we realize that the hardware you run things on doesn't matter anymore, the better off we'll be.

At this point I'm pretty sure with enough time and money, even @Autothrust Blue could program an entire suite of software that would do everything an airline could ever want a device to do, whether it's running Windows Mobile, iOS or Android.
Hardware, yes. But the OS and underlying kernel... well no, those are very different.

Sure. Because the important stuff would run on Linux, Apache, PostgreSQL, and Django. You know, software written by competent people.

Back