Delta electronic flight bag

Ipad, surface, nexus who cares. I'm glad companies are making a push for EFBs. I hated carrying charts at AMF. using iPads now is fantastic. First world problems of having to update them and the wifi goes down.

I care, deeply. Whenever a particular company decides to 'go it on their own' and custom-make software or decide to whip up a device using ball-bearings, Bisquick and a whole lot of wishful (wistful?) thinking, "IT'S A DISASTA, MYRON!"

Didn't AA or AE approve but you gave to provide it yourself? I seem to remember someone trying to buy an iPad.
Yes AE has them approved and they do have to buy them. Kinda stupid since it benefits the company just as much as the pilot.

This also irks me because they fly the exact same aircraft as us at XJT and for some reason the FAA seems to keep requiring tests as if the results will somehow change from when Eagle got their stuff done.

Didn't AA or AE approve but you gave to provide it yourself? I seem to remember someone trying to buy an iPad.

My understanding is AA provides everything for the crew. AE is approved, but crew has to but the ipad, the mount, and the batter pack charger.

iPad, Surface, Nexus, they're all good platforms that pretty much work the same. The real key is reliablity. In the three years using my company issued iPad 1, it's only crashed to the home screen a handful of times and never in a critical phase of flight. It's rumored we'll be getting the iPad 5s when they're released and I am excited for that. I just bought a Nexus 7 to do my non-work related reading, playing, surfing because my company iPad 1 is getting wonky when I try to do too many things (the apps have outgrown the hardware). In the cockpit I run just GoodReader for manuals, Jepp FlightDeck, and LogTenPro.

My concern with Delta and the Surface Pro is upgrade cycles. We're just a 1400 pilot group and we're already a year behind where we should be in the upgrade cycle. Will the Surface be able to maintain usability toward the end of it's life cycle as the bean counters decide when to allow deployment of updated devices?

Yes AE has them approved and they do have to buy them. Kinda stupid since it benefits the company just as much as the pilot.

This also irks me because they fly the exact same aircraft as us at XJT and for some reason the FAA seems to keep requiring tests as if the results will somehow change from when Eagle got their stuff done.

That's not why we don't have them right now. As soon as we sign a new contract, expect to see them show up.

That's not why we don't have them right now. As soon as we sign a new contract, expect to see them show up.
When'll that be?

I care, deeply. Whenever a particular company decides to 'go it on their own' and custom-make software or decide to whip up a device using ball-bearings, Bisquick and a whole lot of wishful (wistful?) thinking, "IT'S A DISASTA, MYRON!"
I wish they'd hand out Google tablets instead, but I still think that this'll work well enough to satisfy the "I need an EFB" needs. Windows 8 is evidently pretty grown-up, even if all it's really done is make my PC OS choice Linux now and forevermore.

Back