Boss needs a jet

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
The company is rapidly expanding and our King Air isn't fulfilling all of our needs. We will probably keep the King Air because we do go into back country and small airports. The jet will be used for the longer distance stuff from the Pacific Northwest to the East coast area. It is usually 4 to 6 pax with about 30lbs of bags each. Here is what the boss has put in front of us to figure out.

He is really into the Lear 45 but the problem is I think we would really be stretching range when we head back to the West.

He also likes the idea of picking up an older Challenger that is cheap but he is worried about maintenance because of cost and that we only have one mechanic on staff.

He doesn't like the G150 because his friends dropped it because they felt it had excessive fuel burn.

What other options that we could be overlooking?

Budget is in the 4 million range.

BBJ..............

We are actually sitting in the BBJ office now :) Just outside the budget though.

Wow talk about first world problems!
That's what I thought until I saw the comparison for how much it costs our work crews to fly commercial and drive to the work site. It is usually only about $500 more to use the King Air. The time of transit well makes up for the $500 flight cost difference.

I believe most of the mid-size jets will have trouble making the trek back west w/o a fuel stop.

How about:
Citation VII
Hawker 800XP
Falcon 50
Falcon 20

I think that might be at the upper end of the budget. Most of them we have seen in the 4 million range have been the very first aircraft.

It sure is the upper end of the budget, but it your gonna go coast to coast its the plane to do it. Especially going west bound against the strong winter headwinds.

Falcon 50. You can pick up some really good ones in the mid 2's-low 3's. Range is no problem, fuel isn't really that bad considering you can go straight to 430 with a full load. MX can be a handful though if you don't stay on top of it.

I'm not sure how you're going to keep any jet in those classes in the air with only one mechanic though.

Edit:

Saw the 20 mentioned also, great aircraft, low acquisition, but kind of a mx hog, even compared to the 50.

Falcon 50. You can pick up some really good ones in the mid 2's-low 3's. Range is no problem, fuel isn't really that bad considering you can go straight to 430 with a full load. MX can be a handful though if you don't stay on top of it.

I'm not sure how you're going to keep any jet in those classes in the air with only one mechanic though.

Yeah our guy usually contracts with someone to help him or sometimes we give him an extra hand to hold stuff.

Yeah our guy usually contracts with someone to help him or sometimes we give him an extra hand to hold stuff.

Not preaching or anything, I would go in with worst case scenario numbers for MX. You know your boss better than I do, but they all tend to start sharting bricks when the 50,000 dollar routine mx bills start rolling in. Especially going from a KA to a mid size jet.

Falcon 50. Hawkers will be pressed to make the east to west leg 100% of the time. A low time Challenger 601-3R really can't be beat right now, however. Get set up on the engine, airframe and avionics programs and you can cut your unexpected maintenance bills to almost nil.

Not preaching or anything, I would go in with worst case scenario numbers for MX. You know your boss better than I do, but they all tend to start sharting bricks when the 50,000 dollar routine mx bills start rolling in. Especially going from a KA to a mid size jet.

For a boss he is probably one of the best with understanding what goes into operating aircraft. He researches everything and uses us to assist with some of his information finding.

Falcon 50. Hawkers will be pressed to make the east to west leg 100% of the time. A low time Challenger 601-3R really can't be beat right now, however. Get set up on the engine, airframe and avionics programs and you can cut your unexpected maintenance bills to almost nil.

That's what the boss was saying as well. I think the Challenger might be the best option.

The company is rapidly expanding and our King Air isn't fulfilling all of our needs. We will probably keep the King Air because we do go into back country and small airports. The jet will be used for the longer distance stuff from the Pacific Northwest to the East coast area. It is usually 4 to 6 pax with about 30lbs of bags each. Here is what the boss has put in front of us to figure out.

He is really into the Lear 45 but the problem is I think we would really be stretching range when we head back to the West.

He also likes the idea of picking up an older Challenger that is cheap but he is worried about maintenance because of cost and that we only have one mechanic on staff.

He doesn't like the G150 because his friends dropped it because they felt it had excessive fuel burn.

What other options that we could be overlooking?

Budget is in the 4 million range.

The lear 45 isn't a coast to coast aircraft. Unless you plan on a fuel stop east to west. Don't let a salesperson "sell you" on the coast to coast capability of the lear 45.

Excessive fuel burn is the MO of the CE750 even if you operate wrong way at 450 East to West I would plan on a fuel burn of a minimum for 10,000#

4 Milli isn't really gonna "hack it" in this case....

Back