HR 5900 Airline Safety and Federal Aviation Administration Extension Act of 2010

When wages go up at the entry level 121 world - your Republics, Eagles, ASAs, what have you, then I will consider it, until then I'll be flying wherever I can make a livable wage to take care of my family. If they'd pay me enough and I'd be home enough, I'd fly a kite. I wouldn't mind working for a regional - even as a lifer in some circumstances (live in base, decent work rules, etc.), however I've done the "make peanuts for resume fodder" as a single guy and that's no fun - as someone with a family I can't even consider it.

Have you even been to a regional? I'm working under what some consider one of the worst contracts in the industry and I love the job. I'll make over $30k on first year pay, have half of the month off, fly an automated, easy to fly jet with overnights in the largest cities in the US. Most of the people hating life are the ones trying to commute on reserve.

To make a real reply....

It's very clear that you're a new-hire, with what you've mentioned about first year-pay. Please do something for me. Please bookmark this post, and come back in 24 months. Read it again, then. See what your mindset is, and how things have changed. Most of us were like you at one time. It doesn't last long.

To make a real reply....

It's very clear that you're a new-hire, with what you've mentioned about first year-pay. Please do something for me. Please bookmark this post, and come back in 24 months. Read it again, then. See what your mindset is, and how things have changed. Most of us were like you at one time. It doesn't last long.

Yes, I'm a new hire for the second time after a furlough. I only have the attitude I have because I spent more money training for a non aviation career than I did for flying and hated the grass on the other side, even considering I made more than RJ left seat pay. This job is all perspective, to each his own.

Yes, I'm a new hire for the second time after a furlough. I only have the attitude I have because I spent more money training for a non aviation career than I did for flying and hated the grass on the other side, even considering I made more than RJ left seat pay. This job is all perspective, to each his own.

Like he said, come back in 24 months. I to was making more at my former career. I hated the work, I loved the money. Now, I love the work, and hopefully the money will come at some point. If it doesn't break for me soon, I guess I'll have to figure something else out. Being happy with what you do every day is very important. But you have to reach a point in life where you go after the QOL and suck it up. The grass isn't any greener over here, it's just a different shade of brown, with some other persons dog tirds on the lawn.

Have you even been to a regional? I'm working under what some consider one of the worst contracts in the industry and I love the job. I'll make over $30k on first year pay, have half of the month off, fly an automated, easy to fly jet with overnights in the largest cities in the US. Most of the people hating life are the ones trying to commute on reserve.

To the OP. I believe the requirement is to have an ATP. The requirements to obtain an ATP might be amended to something lower than 1500 hrs.

I know when you are fresh out of college 30k seams like a lot of money. I know I was pumped to make around that at my first job. Then again, my first job entailed sitting at a desk, looking at excel and the only decisions I was allowed to make was what I wanted for lunch. I didnt have a single person sitting behind me depending on my ability to perform, let alone multiple plane loads per day.

Unless you are doing charity work, no professional job that requires many hours of training and a college degree should require you to live in your parents basement, eating ramen to survive. A professional job should pay a livable wage from day 1. You're not an apprentice, you are being paid as a required crew member to perform a job.

Demand more of yourself and demand more of your employer. Also, never, NEVER say your job is easy. Saying so devalues you, it devalues the profession and it puts the idea in management head that they can pay even lower wages because even their own pilots say "this is easy". It may be easy day to day, but what about when the poo hits the fan? That is what you are really being paid for, not to push buttons on the routine days, but to get the plane there when the sky is full of thunderstorms or ice and the paying customers in the back are counting on you.

Respect is earned, not given. If you don't respect what you do, it will show and you will be treated as such.

Out of curiosity, what former career required more money spent on training than aviation? I wasn't aware there was one.

Out of curiosity, what former career required more money spent on training than aviation? I wasn't aware there was one.

I'm trying to think of jokes, but I can't even come up with any jokes that would require more money than aviation.

Law, medicine, dentistry, most PA programs. I'll spend about 3 times as much on a law degree as I did my flight training, and it unfortunately has to be completed MUCH quicker than I did my flight training.

Delta pilots didn't "cave." They got scope improvements. Reduction of the number of outsourced airplanes = good thing.

Wouldn't the fact that 50 seaters were going away anyway + the looming "shortage" from the ATP rule would have caused that reduction while keeping the scope in place for the larger airframes? Everything was in the favor for pilots as far as old 50-seat airframes and the fact that they are unsustainable in the current airline environment.

Wouldn't the fact that 50 seaters were going away anyway + the looming "shortage" from the ATP rule would have caused that reduction while keeping the scope in place for the larger airframes? Everything was in the favor for pilots as far as old 50-seat airframes and the fact that they are unsustainable in the current airline environment.

And yet United has been bringing back 37 seaters from the desert for XJT to operate.

I like a sure thing, personally.

And yet United has been bringing back 37 seaters from the desert for XJT to operate.

I like a sure thing, personally.
Likely because they are on Cal runs and 50 seat jets aren't being made anymore and aren't available. They will likely cost the company money to use which is a good thing for pilots as that wont be sustainable.

Probably just some negotiating tactic to get cal pilots to relax their scope as well.

I know when you are fresh out of college 30k seams like a lot of money. I know I was pumped to make around that at my first job. Then again, my first job entailed sitting at a desk, looking at excel and the only decisions I was allowed to make was what I wanted for lunch. I didnt have a single person sitting behind me depending on my ability to perform, let alone multiple plane loads per day.

Unless you are doing charity work, no professional job that requires many hours of training and a college degree should require you to live in your parents basement, eating ramen to survive. A professional job should pay a livable wage from day 1. You're not an apprentice, you are being paid as a required crew member to perform a job.

Demand more of yourself and demand more of your employer. Also, never, NEVER say your job is easy. Saying so devalues you, it devalues the profession and it puts the idea in management head that they can pay even lower wages because even their own pilots say "this is easy". It may be easy day to day, but what about when the poo hits the fan? That is what you are really being paid for, not to push buttons on the routine days, but to get the plane there when the sky is full of thunderstorms or ice and the paying customers in the back are counting on you.

Respect is earned, not given. If you don't respect what you do, it will show and you will be treated as such.

Wow, way to twist things around. I'm not sure how old you are but I've been flying (not professionally) for quite possibly as long as you've been alive. There is not much I haven't heard already so you're not telling me anything I don't know. I never said that making a little over 30k is what a pro pilot deserves but this is not the food stamp 18k wage everyone talks about and you won't be living in your parent's basement. Do you even know what legacy starts their first year FO's at? Try somewhere in the 30s. It's pretty bad but that is how management compensates for taking the risk for spending $35k or more training you. I'm not saying I agree with it but it is what it is.
Secondly, I said that the Jet I fly is easy, easy as in easier than a lot of other jets and turbo props because of the level of automation on board. You should take a look at what a SW pilot has to do just to start their 737 engine but I don't feel sorry for them since they are paid well.
Lastly, pilots have been exploited for their love of the job forever, even before deregulation this has been going on. I've tried myself to combat this problem myself by staying out of the regionals for over a decade but sadly for every guy like me taking a stand for the pilot group trying to acheive a higher sense of worth, there were 10 kids behind me trying to take the job I didn't so they could chase a dream that for most did not become reality.

Wouldn't the fact that 50 seaters were going away anyway

The 50-seaters weren't going away anyway. Management had long-term contracts on those airplanes that they couldn't get out of. They had big heavy checks coming due on some of the older planes, and they wanted a way out of paying that, while at the same time getting rid of the airplanes that weren't profitable anymore and replacing them with airplanes that are profitable. The way out was to get Bombardier to agree to a deal to trade the old 50-seaters for a smaller number of 70-seaters. The total number of airframes would go down, but management would be happy with the bigger airplane and the lower unit costs, not to mention avoiding the heavy maintenance. If it hadn't been for the TA, they couldn't have made that deal with Bombardier, and those airplanes were not going out the door. Don't believe everything you hear a crew lounge wannabe airline manager tell you.

Law, medicine, dentistry, most PA programs. I'll spend about 3 times as much on a law degree as I did my flight training, and it unfortunately has to be completed MUCH quicker than I did my flight training.

Ah I see. I haven't seen many scholarships or federally subsidized student loans available for flight training though (if there were I'd probably be at Riddle). Unfortunately "pay as you go" or parent's with college funds aren't really realistic ways to pay for a degree anymore. My tuition was raised by 40% over the last two years alone, at a PUBLIC university. It's crazy.

Ah I see. I haven't seen many scholarships or federally subsidized student loans available for flight training though (if there were I'd probably be at Riddle). Unfortunately "pay as you go" or parent's with college funds aren't really realistic ways to pay for a degree anymore. My tuition was raised by 40% over the last two years alone, at a PUBLIC university. It's crazy.

When I started undergraduate in 2001, in state tuition for my public university was $120 an hour. By the time I graduated in 2005 it was up to $265. Now it's over $300.

My current tuition is $1,200 an hour. It's a 90 hour program, so the math is pretty easy. 10 years ago this program cost half as much.

When I started undergraduate in 2001, in state tuition for my public university was $120 an hour. By the time I graduated in 2005 it was up to $265. Now it's over $300.

My current tuition is $1,200 an hour. It's a 90 hour program, so the math is pretty easy. 10 years ago this program cost half as much.
Wow!
My Cornell B.S. cost me $150/year after scholarships.
My U Penn M.S. cost me zero/year after scholarships.
My Drexel MBA cost me zero because my employer paid for it.

Back