Why I don't give out buddy passes.

I travel to and from Europe on buddy passes every year.

But:

I travel alone. I know what I am getting. I dress well, show up early, am polite to everyone and don't hassle the gate agent. I get business on United most of the time. But I don't cry if I'm in economy, or get the chicken.

I get stuck sometimes, overnight occasionally, but saving money and usually better seats are worth a lot to me.

I'd like to thank anyone who does help out their buddies with these passes, and ensures they are fully aware of what they are and are not getting. If it's family, be a buddy and tell them straight.

Absolutely. I have gotten stuck and gotten first class. Dressing sharp is key. Always alone.

What if a friend gets you a buddy pass, you purchase an airline ticket on the same flights under a different name, with refund insurance, and phone in to cancel that trip the "other person" was going to make while waiting at the gate to board your flight?
Not to mention this is grounds for getting your travel benefits suspended or more likely fired.

What if a friend gets you a buddy pass, you purchase an airline ticket on the same flights under a different name, with refund insurance, and phone in to cancel that trip the "other person" was going to make while waiting at the gate to board your flight?

On my airline your friend would lose the pass privileges or ultimately get fired.

No money, there is always driving or walking.

Or GoToMeeting.com! :)

But I tell you, I've given out a buddy pass perhaps twice in the last three years.

I do get some sob stories but on an aviation website, cats are renting G-1000 cessnas, making GoPro Hero videos and showing me their snazzy pretty guns in the lavatory, lecturing Seggy about Ayn Rand and then write sad stories about how they need a buddy pass to see a dying aunt in Hawaii in the thick of tourist season...

Ok, that's why the FSM gives us credit cards.

amjon said:
Yeah and someone should miss their child's memorial.

If someone can afford a nice camera, vacation, flight in a 150, exct, than they can afford an airline ticket to their child's memorial. If not, sell the camera, or don't fly the 150...

If someone can afford a nice camera, vacation, flight in a 150, exct, than they can afford an airline ticket to their child's memorial. If not, sell the camera, or don't fly the 150...
The camera new IS less than a plane ticket. Guess you just can't understand because you have some extra cash to buy something one day doesn't mean you have it when everything comes up at once (and no one expects an infant to suddenly die at 7 months gestation). (And who had been doing those things in a LONG time. I can't remember the last vacation I took until we had some money for me to fly to hubby if that counts. Flying, yeah, haven't done that since I was 12 weeks pregnant and that was 3 landings. Hopefully will get back into it soon.)

Why I don't give out buddy passes.

amjon:)
I'll remind you of that when YOU have a child die and can't make it to the funeral because of current finances. My husband would have been even more heartbroken and would have never gotten over the regret of not going to his own child's memorial service.

The camera new IS less than a plane ticket. Guess you just can't understand because you have some extra cash to buy something one day doesn't mean you have it when everything comes up at once (and no one expects an infant to suddenly die at 7 months gestation). (And who had been doing those things in a LONG time. I can't remember the last vacation I took until we had some money for me to fly to hubby if that counts. Flying, yeah, haven't done that since I was 12 weeks pregnant and that was 3 landings. Hopefully will get back into it soon.)

I guarantee you if you gave me 100% control over your finances you would always have extra money available for emergencies.

I guarantee you if you gave me 100% control over your finances you would always have extra money available for emergencies.
Sometimes thing come up that pile up. Weddings are very expensive; so are long, unexpected hospital stays; And unexpected funeral expenses. I have never made that much money and my husband was out of work for a few months before also. We'll get a good reserve now that he had a good job again, so we'll have money for unexpected expenses (that hopefully won't all hit at once again).

Sometimes thing come up that pile up. Weddings are very expensive; so are long, unexpected hospital stays; And unexpected funeral expenses. I have never made that much money and my husband was out of work for a few months before also. We'll get a good reserve now that he had a good job again, so we'll have money for unexpected expenses (that hopefully won't all hit at once again).

Weddings don't have to be expensive. That's a choice. As are other things. Seriously, I will guarantee you financial security. All you have to do is exactly what I tell you. I'll do this for free.

I am confused Amanda. You asked for a pass and, instead, I pointed you to an affordable fare out of ACY on NK (because DH won't give out worthless passes, even if they are free on NK because the flights are always full--usually jumpseaters have to sit up front) and you chose that option. Or was there a second request for a pass that I missed?

Aww, weddings aren't all that much. Now if you go outside of your means significantly, yeah, they can be.

I was stacking mad cheddar in 2002 from a variety of sources, but I didn't spend that much because its largely a couple good pictures, jewelry that doesn't always fit and overpricednapkins. And that nasty, rotting mummified cake in the freezer underneath the Costco weenies that you're supposed to brave up and eat a year later.

Trivial things like that get in the way when the occasional emergency pops up and you're 1 of 50 people on the standby list when you're trying to non-rev to an important event.

Sent from my TRS-80

Back