DCI carrier and jumpseating

v1valarob

Recently switched over to the pncl side and got shafted with these horrible delta "benefits." I decided not to sign up since Im single, and I have the ability to jumpseat.

The only issue is the past 2 times I have jumped on a delta flight the gate agent has complained that I haven't paid my non-rev fee. Yesterday I was #2 for the jumpseat and the computer would not print me a ticket since the guy ahead of me was already the "jumpseater" even though there were over 100 seats left. Luckily he was cool with letting them delete it all in the system and allow me to list as a jumpseater first and then listed him and the computer allowed him to be moved to the back.

Can I have the pass department just delete my 3500 number that I don't even want? Any other ways around this?

If there are seats open in the back, you are considered by Delta to be a non-rev pass traveler. The only time you can get away with jumpseating without paying the $50 activation fee is when the aircraft is full in the back and you will be occupying the actual jumpseat. When 9E switched over from NW to DL passtravel, lots of guys tried to get away without paying the $50. They were later denied boarding or were charged later for travel offenses.

Even mainline employees have to pay the $50 yearly cost. Hell, at one point it used to cost $15 per leg until you had 10 years with the company.
Yup.
If there are seats open in the back, you are considered by Delta to be a non-rev pass traveler. The only time you can get away with jumpseating without paying the $50 activation fee is when the aircraft is full in the back and you will be occupying the actual jumpseat. When 9E switched over from NW to DL passtravel, lots of guys tried to get away without paying the $50. They were later denied boarding or were charged later for travel offenses.
Yup...enroll early, enroll often...

"Misuse or abuse of nonrevenue travel privileges is subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination."

Can I have the pass department just delete my 3500 number that I don't even want? Any other ways around this?

Also keep in mind your PPR number (3500...) is impossible to get rid of. It is used for ALL non-rev travel, including positive space deadheads.

So what if you are a non-DCI or non-Delta type (Southwest, Usairways, et cetera)? In that case you wouldn't have to pay the $50 fee? (for cabin JS).

So what if you are a non-DCI or non-Delta type (Southwest, Usairways, et cetera)? In that case you wouldn't have to pay the $50 fee? (for cabin JS).

Correct. Non-Delta/Connection pilot jumpseaters do not pay... even if you occupy a seat in the cabin.

This phenomenon is because Delta Connection pilots have Delta PPR numbers and may show as a pass rider in Delta's reservation system - the way I understand it, anyway.

On Delta you can be a non rev or jumpseater, not both. You may be on the list twice, but your priority becomes the jumpseat priority (below every non rev and buddy pass). Be careful listing as a jumpseater on a CRJ 200 or anything that could be weight/balance restricted if you could get on as a non rev.

On Continental I used to list as a non rev and then fill out a jumpseat form at the gate. It gave me an early time of check in as a jumpseater just in case the back filled up. That trick doesn't work on Delta.

In Delta Trau-Matic jump seat listings get sorted by time and priority (DL first, DCI, OAL by various agreements). Once the Jumpseats are filled the agent only gets an option to Transfer to Airport StandBy. This is where DCI pilots that haven't paid their annual activation fee get caught. While OALs get added at the bottom below every one else (including OAL employees using ZEDs, ID90s, etc), DCI pilots get added as S3/S3C as appropriate. However, if the annual activation fee hasn't been paid all the agent gets is the payment collection screen. And if you wait to do it at the airport (and not online before) it's far more than $50. Last one I did I think was around $250 and that was for SkyWest.

As an ASA/XJT new hire, I attempted to jumpseat on Delta. I was too new to have pass travel benefits on Delta, but I was listed in CASS. Delta allowed me to ride in the back but not in the flight deck jumpseat, until I had paid the fee. I was denied three times on Delta until a United flight allowed me on. The fee has since been paid, but I still haven't recieved an explaination.

As an ASA/XJT new hire, I attempted to jumpseat on Delta. I was too new to have pass travel benefits on Delta, but I was listed in CASS. Delta allowed me to ride in the back but not in the flight deck jumpseat, until I had paid the fee. I was denied three times on Delta until a United flight allowed me on. The fee has since been paid, but I still haven't recieved an explaination.

CRJ or ERJ side?

There were some problems with ERJ pilots jumpseating with their new employee numbers. I got left at the gate a handful of times on DCI flights that were operated "by our company" until it got sorted out.

We have 2 numbers we can give the gate agent. One I think bypasses the system, atleast I have yet to deal with that.

Just pay the $50. The delta pass benefits are by far the best in the industry. Well worth the $50.
True for Delta employees. Not so true for us "contract carriers."

Delta employees have acces to things like fly confirmed for less, unlimited international travel, etc. Us plebes get bumped by retirees, parents (on occasion), have a limit to the number of legs we can fly international and lost fly confirmed for less when NWA went away.

Delta employee's $50 goes a LOT further than ours'.

I even got charged TWICE last year because of the several month delay in changing our hire dates. That's not Delta's fault, but the could have easily just said "We know it's the same year." My hire date on my ID per old PCL rules was in May, my actual hire date was in March. I paid one fee in April and again in May. I don't even go anywhere except to and from work.

Honestly, the whole "if you get a seat in the back, you're non-reving" does seem like a shake down to me. Are American, United or other non Delta/DCI guys "non-reving?"

I hardly ever take Delta anyway. If I DO manage to get on, it's at the last second, it's a headache, and the flights are normally oversold to infinity with 10 HKs and 15 non-revs on the list ahead of me. I'd rather just jumpseat on jetBlue or American.

Back