FIRC'n painful

TexasFlyer

Living the Dream (well at least trying to)
Just wanted to say I am doing the American Flyers FIRC right now. Man, this is like torture. Pretty much 16 hours of reading (or just keeping the webpage open with the occasional click to keep it active) followed by quiz's. All broken up into approximately 100 minute intervals.

This CFI renewal process seems like it'll take two days of my life away every two years now. Someone has got to come up with a better and more interesting way. Maybe Sheppard Air will come along to save the day for us CFI's and make an interesting FIRC for us.

But then at $125 bucks paid one time for life, American Flyers has the best deal going right now. Fingers crossed when I go to the FSDO with my completion certificate the process is quick and painless.

Okay, 3.5 hours into this process and now time for quiz two. Looks like the clock finally got to the time limit where it'll let me take quiz 2.

I wish the FAA would finally have it where the CFI doesn't expire, but where you need some sort of bfr to let you use the privileges. One can dream.

I wish the FAA would finally have it where the CFI doesn't expire, but where you need some sort of bfr to let you use the privileges. One can dream.

Ugh... I already did a flight test for the CFI that was no fun... doing one every couple years to keep my cert up does not appeal AT ALL..... besides what about those of us that dont actively instruct anymore but still keep the cert up... that would be one brutal ride

Ugh... I already did a flight test for the CFI that was no fun... doing one every couple years to keep my cert up does not appeal AT ALL..... besides what about those of us that dont actively instruct anymore but still keep the cert up... that would be one brutal ride
It would not be with a fsdo or dpe. That would overload them. Just a renewal course like we take now with a current CFI maybe.

Your wish has been granted, at least the second part. All you have to do is take a practical test for renewal. Many people avoid that option like the plague because they think it will be as painful as their initial CFI. Not so. The requirements are in the Rating Task Table and they are far less than required for original issuance. You can also use any airplane applicable to your CFI. You don't have to use a complex airplane.

A little more expensive, but a lot more fun is to add another rating to your CFI.

Just wanted to say I am doing the American Flyers FIRC right now. Man, this is like torture. Pretty much 16 hours of reading (or just keeping the webpage open with the occasional click to keep it active) followed by quiz's. All broken up into approximately 100 minute intervals.

Count your blessings. The FIRC requirement used to be 36 hours.

FIRCs are nothing like the CFi written, so don't sweat it. The FIRC quizes on the American Flyers course are very simple and can be answered for the most part without reading the material.
I just did the AF FIRC online course and finished it in 2 days. I just went to the computer every once in a while and jiggled the mouse to keep the timer running. Not a big deal especially since its only done every two years. That and you pay once and get lifetime FIRCs.

It would not be with a fsdo or dpe. That would overload them. Just a renewal course like we take now with a current CFI maybe.

How would that be better than paying $125 for a lifetime of renewals? It's really not hard at all. I knocked it out in a 24 hr period. Does it make me a better instructor? Well probably not..

I always enjoyed FIRC's. It kept me refreshed on the FAR's, AIM, etc. OF course I havnt done one in years, got a Gold Seal, Master Flight Instructor Award, all which counts toward renewal. I also got to renew my CFI every year to keep my Chief Flight Instructor status.

This year I was able to renew on the basis of being a 141 check airman. All by mail too.:) Next year I'll be with you guys taking American Flyer's FIRC.

FIRCs are nothing like the CFi written, so don't sweat it. The FIRC quizes on the American Flyers course are very simple and can be answered for the most part without reading the material.
I just did the AF FIRC online course and finished it in 2 days. I just went to the computer every once in a while and jiggled the mouse to keep the timer running. Not a big deal especially since its only done every two years. That and you pay once and get lifetime FIRCs.

Exactly what I am doing. And that's why painful. I am like a prisoner hanging out around the house taking a very simple quiz every 100 minutes. So far 100%, 90%, and 100% without looking at any of the material as the questions are very basic in my opinion.

Maybe painful is the wrong word. Just boring and I have no motivation to actually learn anything from this experience. Funny how the FOI says if things are not interesting the student won't learn. Looks like the FIRC is the perfect example of this as I am sure if I actually read all the chapters I may learn something. But my lack of interest has me motivated to play on the internet and do chores around the house while taking a quiz each 100 minutes.

Wish my $125 would have bought a more interactive learning experience almost like that silly TSA interactive deal we do every year as a CFI or more like those Air Safety Foundation videos and quizzes where you print out a certificate for each one you complete. I actually learned something from those the first time I took them due to how they are set up.

But then, 16 hours of actual learning from interactive scenarios and videos may be even worse as that would be painful for sure to accomplish in a short time, like two days. So maybe boring is better as it can't get any easier than lounging around waiting to take a simple quiz every 100 minutes.

I do like the idea of doing this as a Flight Review though. Would be great if when your flight review comes up you could simply teach a couple maneuvers and discuss spin awareness and other topics with any CFI. Then they would sign you off for your CFI privileges as an endorsement and your flight review for another 24 more months. At least I might learn a thing or two from that as it would be more interesting and very interactive.

Hey look. Another 12 minutes went by :)

Yeah...American Flyers is pretty brutal. But I'm in the same boat. Paid for the lifetime renewal...hated every second of it.

The first time I had to renew I did the Jeppesen/AOPA one. I'm pretty sure the material is geared for people who don't fly at all, not those who just haven't been an active CFI. One of the slides that stands out in my head is "don't forget to tell your students that flying through thunderstorms is dangerous."

Really?

I just did the American Flyers version on my iPad, and it kept me logged in and the clock ticking the whole time. I'd start the clock ticking, go fly a leg or two at work and then take a quiz. Got it banged out in a couple of days.

I remember reading on here that if you change the time on your PC you could 'trick' the webste, I dunno if it still works.

Back