FIRC'n painful

American flyers is the reason I set up dual monitors. Their website on the left, occasionally clicking something, interesting reading on the right. I've done at least 4, maybe 5 refreshers that way.

While I have no direct knowledge of the American Flyers $125 lifetime FIRC program, I did ask a friend. My friend said that he would open up a section at night, click all the way thru the pages (to make it look legit), download the pdf of the section, and then go to sleep leaving the computer on and browser open. Elapsed time: 5 mins (approx). Wake up and in the morning take the quiz (using Ctl-F to search relevant info in PDF) then open the next section and do the same every night.

This same friend renewed in person at a FSDO 2 years ago and mailed it to America Flyers (and $50) this year and both ways were painless and easy.

While I have no direct knowledge of the American Flyers $125 lifetime FIRC program, I did ask a friend. My friend said that he would open up a section at night, click all the way thru the pages (to make it look legit), download the pdf of the section, and then go to sleep leaving the computer on and browser open. Elapsed time: 5 mins (approx). Wake up and in the morning take the quiz (using Ctl-F to search relevant info in PDF) then open the next section and do the same every night.

That's all I do. Works like a charm.

I've heard you can log on with your iPhone and it wont log you off. Then you can log on with an iPad and download the PDF. Then go on your computer and take the quiz and use your iPad and software like readdledocs to search real quick for each question.

Just what I heard was a good way to not feel like your handcuffed to the computer.

I don't know why you all are going through all of that hassle with the American Flyers FIRC. With the gleim it's not timed and you can open the study material in one window and take the test in another window making it an open book test.

Honestly, I'd rather just renew with a DPE I knew (alot of the CFI's in my area renew with our DPE)...Who knows, you might actually learn a thing or two when you renew.

I don't know why you all are going through all of that hassle with the American Flyers FIRC. With the gleim it's not timed and you can open the study material in one window and take the test in another window making it an open book test.

AF is lifetime. Worth the headache, IMO.

I found if I check the box to keep logged in, the process is now Click the Stage and then walk away and come back in 100 minutes to take the 10 question test and repeat.

I will say this though. I actually saved the PDF for the instrument section since there is some good material in there and it'll help my instrument students. I decided that later tonight when I need to get some sleep, I will start reading that section since it is the only section that seemed to have good information beyond aviation 101 type stuff.

Last test to take in 10 minutes. Completed in under 24 hours and now good for two more years :)

How would that be better than paying $125 for a lifetime of renewals? It's really not hard at all. I knocked it out in a 24 hr period. Does it make me a better instructor? Well probably not..
because you can let it lapse after 2 years but not loose it. Then when you need the privileges take a flight with a CFI like a bfr.

Hey does a type rating count as a substitute for the FIRC courses?

No. Why would it? A type rating has nothing to do with the CFI certificate.

(a) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate that has not expired may renew that certificate by--
(1) Passing a practical test for--
(i) One of the ratings listed on the current flight instructor certificate; or
(ii) An additional flight instructor rating; or
(2) Presenting to an authorized FAA Flight Standards Inspector--
(i) A record of training students showing that, during the preceding 24 calendar months, the flight instructor has endorsed at least five students for a practical test for a certificate or rating and at least 80 percent of those students passed that test on the first attempt;
(ii) A record showing that, within the preceding 24 calendar months, the flight instructor has served as a company check pilot, chief flight instructor, company check airman, or flight instructor in a part 121 or part 135 operation, or in a position involving the regular evaluation of pilots; or
(iii) A graduation certificate showing that, within the preceding 3 calendar months, the person has successfully completed an approved flight instructor refresher course consisting of ground training or flight training, or a combination of both.

Doing a FIRC is better than studying for the ATP written. Sheppard Air keeps putting me to sleep. I'll never get it done. At least most FIRCs you can just let sit for the time limit then do the open book test at the end.

Are they now timing how long you view the page? It is literally taking 4 minutes for me to be able to go on to the next page, this is insane.

Is GLEIM doing the same thing? I got American Flyers CFI renewal for life, but I do not have time for this (does anyone?).

Last edited:
Back