Airline Placement Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirPloyment

We are currently investigating the possibility of introducing an Airline Hiring/Placement program specifically for low time pilots. There is no confirmation of the program, and we are in the preliminary process of developing a suitable program. Our intentions are to provide the low time pilot with an A320/B737 rating and also provide them with line training and airline placement around the world. It could turn out, that this program is not going to be effective in producing career pilots, and I want to be upfront about that.

I personally understand some of the stigmas and arguments against such programs. Many experienced pilots in the industry feel that it is not the right way in becoming a highly respected and experienced pilot. However, I feel that with the current economic climate, and the unstable future of many of the airlines, low time guys do not have lots of options.

Our AIM is to set up a program that would have contingincies in place. I believe that there are no guarantees in life, and the "guarantee" of a job after going through the program is just not possible. The ability and prior history of the candidate play heavily into the placement into an airline. We would want to make sure that if at any point the program does not fulfill what was agreed upon in the terms and conditions, that the pilot would receive a partial/full refund pro-rated to what they had paid.

I would like to open up this forum to discussing how the industry would perceive this program. I believe, that if it is run effectively, it could be a great way for guys to advance in their career.

Lets all keep an open mind about this. Like any other profession, whether it be a lawyer, doctor, or other highly skilled/trained profession, advanced training is required. Doctors spend 250-300K on tuition expenses + living expenses for 8 years, and then only receive 30-40k as a resident/fellow for 4-8 years depending on their specialty.

Of course there are the majority of individuals who can't afford this program. We are working on putting together scholarships/government aid to help those who are unable to support the program financially on their own.

Finally, I would like to address the prior companies that have or are currently engaged in such programs. The forums are often a place in which many people report the negative aspects of companies, institutions, and flight schools. Many of the positive comments are not posted, because those individuals are not interested in finding more about those programs, as they have already completed it and moved on. I graduated from Embry-Riddle, and was extremely satisfied with the university/flight program, but I have never commented anywhere about it. I have also been with a company in which I had a terrible experience with, and found myself looking on forums to see if others had the same negative experiences.

Please be respectful to others on this thread, and lets not create do any company bashing. If you have something negative to say about these programs, we would like to hear it. However, lets make sure it's not slanderous or patronizing of what could be a great program.

We are currently investigating the possibility of introducing an Airline Hiring/Placement program specifically for low time pilots. There is no confirmation of the program, and we are in the preliminary process of developing a suitable program. Our intentions are to provide the low time pilot with an A320/B737 rating and also provide them with line training and airline placement around the world. It could turn out, that this program is not going to be effective in producing career pilots, and I want to be upfront about that.

I personally understand some of the stigmas and arguments against such programs. Many experienced pilots in the industry feel that it is not the right way in becoming a highly respected and experienced pilot. However, I feel that with the current economic climate, and the unstable future of many of the airlines, low time guys do not have lots of options.

Our AIM is to set up a program that would have contingincies in place. I believe that there are no guarantees in life, and the "guarantee" of a job after going through the program is just not possible. The ability and prior history of the candidate play heavily into the placement into an airline. We would want to make sure that if at any point the program does not fulfill what was agreed upon in the terms and conditions, that the pilot would receive a partial/full refund pro-rated to what they had paid.

I would like to open up this forum to discussing how the industry would perceive this program. I believe, that if it is run effectively, it could be a great way for guys to advance in their career.

Lets all keep an open mind about this. Like any other profession, whether it be a lawyer, doctor, or other highly skilled/trained profession, advanced training is required. Doctors spend 250-300K on tuition expenses + living expenses for 8 years, and then only receive 30-40k as a resident/fellow for 4-8 years depending on their specialty.

Of course there are the majority of individuals who can't afford this program. We are working on putting together scholarships/government aid to help those who are unable to support the program financially on their own.

Finally, I would like to address the prior companies that have or are currently engaged in such programs. The forums are often a place in which many people report the negative aspects of companies, institutions, and flight schools. Many of the positive comments are not posted, because those individuals are not interested in finding more about those programs, as they have already completed it and moved on. I graduated from Embry-Riddle, and was extremely satisfied with the university/flight program, but I have never commented anywhere about it. I have also been with a company in which I had a terrible experience with, and found myself looking on forums to see if others had the same negative experiences.

Please be respectful to others on this thread, and lets not create do any company bashing. If you have something negative to say about these programs, we would like to hear it. However, lets make sure it's not slanderous or patronizing of what could be a great program.

:mad: With all due respect, a few comments in your post have made me extremely angry. I'm going to do my best and restrain myself from lashing out.

Quite frankly, what your selling is snake oil, like many others before you.

What your proposing sounds a lot like the defunct CAPT program, and we all know how well THAT went. I'm a Riddle Grad too, so trust me, I'm familiar with the phony baloney song and dance that school puts out. "Harvard of Aviation", Blah Blah Blah.

It sounds like a great way to make a quick buck off the hopes and dreams of others, but hey if you break a few hearts in the process whats the big deal? You still made a decent profit margin, right?

You think your "great way to advance careers" is a novel idea? I've seen HORRIBLE things happen to people that place thier faith in "exciting new programs" that will "help" new pilots with thier career. Right off the top of my head, Silverstate helicopters: Took the money and ran. TAB express: Took the money and ran. CAPT Program: Took the money, ran, went bankrupt, and stranded some Chinese in Flagler. Add to that a dozen others, I can't think of right now because it's 3am. You ask us to not bash companies in response, but what do you seriously expect? The aforementioned companies have ruined peoples LIVES, sir, and now you're essentially selling the SAME excrement but this time you've wrapped it in a pretty little ribbon of a different color.

I find the comparison to doctors and lawyers equally offensive. Doctors will make 30-40K through residency, you're absolutely correct. What I wouldn't give to make 40K my first year of flying! If we did, there would be no need for your program. Have you stopped to see the difference in the two careers? First off, there are substantial loan forgiveness programs avaliable to those in the medical profession. Am I going to get a hand-out for my 100k if I sign on your dotted line? Secondly, a cardiologist makes 480K a year...in Idaho (yes, I checked). How much am I going to make when I get to be a captain in my big fancy jet, spiffy uniform, and 100 lives in my hands 5 times a day, 4 days a week? $65,000 a year and I'll probably be laid off 3 times before I retire with no pension. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I knew what I was getting myself in to when I pursued the career. However, show us a little bit of respect and stop insulting our intelligence and don't you dare compare doctors to pilots. You're not dealing with chumps on this board.

How about if your program does not perform to what was agreed to, the student gets to sue the ever livin' pants off of you, and then gets to go on board like this one and curse your name up and down the internet, that sounds more fitting. Typical puppy mill flight school. Sell somebody a service, but then offer no guarantee that you'll hold up your end of the bargain.

Sure you'll get some interested people that love the job, but not the work. They want to take the quick and easy way. They'll sign on with you. They'll buy your snake oil. You'll sell them the romance, the adventure, and make the career sound prestigious and easy. You'll gladly take their 100k, and like all the others before you, you'll fail them and still sleep soundly at night on a mattress stuffed with money you neither earned nor deserve.

Snake Oil.

My guess would be that you'll find it hard to fill airliner cockpits with lowtime pilots just now, but that's just my 2 cents worth................

BP244
CFI/CFII/MEI

This is done all around the world. In Europe, India, and other markets, an A320 type is required yo even interview. The starting pay is also much higher. I would rather get a 20k loan for a type and make 60-70k a year than not pay and make 1/3 of that.

Is this the same spamming Airployment that I blocked on Twitter?

My suggestion is to research the MANY "programs" like this that have failed.

: Am I going to get a hand-out for my 100k if I sign on your dotted line? Secondly, a cardiologist makes 480K a year...in Idaho (yes, I checked)..

The majority of that, near 50%+, is already gone to malpractice insurance costs.

So they only make 240K? Yeah I guess it's comparable to pilots then.

Malpractice is just the first set of costs, the biggest one. If one is private practice, then there are all the business costs to come with it. If one is HMO, then different costs associated. Just don't believe that 480K is takehome. It's an apples and oranges comparison in some respects simply due to the costs to be deducted, though I understand the idea that poster is trying to convey with the comparison which has merit.

as far as people only saying bad things about programs like this...

I heard about a colgan captain who went to gulfstream and had great things to say about them.

Was that too much?

Which Airline are the CEO of??????

the program could work if you tailor it for countries other than the U.S and don't require money up front. Those are the key items. Other countries require types to interview and the program could be a benefit, but the airlines in the U.S. will pay for the type. Also a A320 or B737 type wont get a U.S. student far at all as they would have to start with a regional, and so far they don't fly an A320 or B737.

I graduated from Embry-Riddle, and was extremely satisfied with the university/flight program, but I have never commented anywhere about it.

I'm beginning to doubt that you actually went to Embry-Riddle. If you went there you wouldn't have been satisfied. Almost 75% of the people that go through the flight program there can't become pilots because of excessive debt. You're telling me that you spent 200 an hour for a 172 and 70 dollars an hour for some half-wit SJS instructor, and you were satisfied?:rolleyes: If you were willing to pay that, while there were comparable aircraft and training across the street at Wrightway going to 110 an hour TOTAL, you have absolutely no business acumen at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back