Changing from Flight Control to Airport Operations

mission_aviation

Being umemployed really sucks. I've had to take a security job to keep from reaching financial disaster. I did however manage to go back to ERAU and continue my Master's. Fortunately, I'm able to use my G.I. bill to cover the tuition and expenses. Long story short, my only classmate is one of the top dogs at Sky Harbor. Through him, I was able to wiggle my way into an interview for an Airport Operations position.

I thought I would share this story with you all, to reinforce the value of education and networking. The first month in PHX has been by far the hardest my wife and I have ever been faced with. But I had I have not been in school and not gotten the honor to meet such a very well known and powerful individual in aviation, I would have never known about the position opening. I'm waiting for a call this week to schedule an interview.

I never saw myself working on the airport operations side of the house, but since meeting such a wonderful man like Mr. Carl, it has sparked a major interest in possibly changing from the flight ops side to the airport side. Take note boys, I maybe changing my aviation career to airport.

Wish me luck!

If you get the job, tell them to have the Phoenix Fire Department's Airport Station 19 and the crash side of Station 29 paint their trucks yellow again, as they should be. It's the classic color that all of Sky Harbor's assigned crash trucks have always been, even though they're operated by the Phoenix FD and all of Phoenix's normal fire trucks have always been red. The Airport rigs have always stood out, as they should.

Being umemployed really sucks. I've had to take a security job to keep from reaching financial disaster. I did however manage to go back to ERAU and continue my Master's. Fortunately, I'm able to use my G.I. bill to cover the tuition and expenses. Long story short, my only classmate is one of the top dogs at Sky Harbor. Through him, I was able to wiggle my way into an interview for an Airport Operations position.

I thought I would share this story with you all, to reinforce the value of education and networking. The first month in PHX has been by far the hardest my wife and I have ever been faced with. But I had I have not been in school and not gotten the honor to meet such a very well known and powerful individual in aviation, I would have never known about the position opening. I'm waiting for a call this week to schedule an interview.

I never saw myself working on the airport operations side of the house, but since meeting such a wonderful man like Mr. Carl, it has sparked a major interest in possibly changing from the flight ops side to the airport side. Take note boys, I maybe changing my aviation career to airport.

Wish me luck!
dude, mesa was hiring dispatchers when i was there

If you get the job, tell them to have the Phoenix Fire Department's Airport Station 19 and the crash side of Station 29 paint their trucks yellow again, as they should be. It's the classic color that all of Sky Harbor's assigned crash trucks have always been, even though they're operated by the Phoenix FD and all of Phoenix's normal fire trucks have always been red. The Airport rigs have always stood out, as they should.

I will mention your thoughts if I get into a position of authority someday.

I have even looked into it myself. Check out the careers section of www.aaae.org

Best of luck!

F9DXER

Very interesting. Didn't even know that type of certification existed. Well I wouldn't qualify for anything on that site for at least a year. But it is surely save in my favorites. The compensation for some of those jobs crazy good. Maybe someday I will be eligible for them. Thanks for the link.

The interview went fantastic. I think I did very well. I had an instant connection with my interviewers since we're all Embry Riddle Alumni. I'm hoping that I get the call this week.

Here's a recent article regarding ways in which companies are mistreating job seekers.

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-wor...ob-seekers.html?mod=career-salary_negotiation

I've been looking for work for a month now since graduating from DX school and I have never been more in the dark when it comes to my status on job applications. These internet recruitment and application tools could not be any more impersonal and uninformative. Often I have absolutely no means on which to follow up nor any idea when a position has been filled. With the last 10 positions I have applied for only one airline had the decency to write back to inform me that they had gone with someone else to fill the position. The rest are complete mysteries.

The uncertainty that comes with this sort of anticipation is incredibly frustrating and emotionally demanding.

:confused:

Okay... a few hours after I wrote that I got called up for an interview. I am going to complain on here more often!

:rawk:

Back