Changing from Flight Control to Airport Operations

Here's a recent article regarding ways in which companies are mistreating job seekers.

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-wor...ob-seekers.html?mod=career-salary_negotiation

I've been looking for work for a month now since graduating from DX school and I have never been more in the dark when it comes to my status on job applications. These internet recruitment and application tools could not be any more impersonal and uninformative. Often I have absolutely no means on which to follow up nor any idea when a position has been filled. With the last 10 positions I have applied for only one airline had the decency to write back to inform me that they had gone with someone else to fill the position. The rest are complete mysteries.

The uncertainty that comes with this sort of anticipation is incredibly frustrating and emotionally demanding.

:confused:

Excellent article. Yes job searching has become sooo unpersonal now a days. I was very happy and positive that I was able to look at the men who do the hiring in the face and say I CAN DO THIS JOB SIR! I also have business cards, phone numbers and email addresses to follow up. I can't complain too much because when I spoke to the airside superintendant, he told me that they needed me asap. Its all about how fast the background checks come back.

Good luck. It's a good place to get started. It will be very interesting to see how things unfold with the acquistion of Midwest and Frontier.

Republic is now proud owners of Frontier. The animals are saved, so does that mean that they could be hiring?

After a long two weeks of waiting, I finally got the call yesterday. My start date is August 24th. There was no better feeling than to clock out for the last time at my crappy job. Now I can continue my mission to aviation career success, hence my name. :D

After a long two weeks of waiting, I finally got the call yesterday. My start date is August 24th. There was no better feeling than to clock out for the last time at my crappy job. Now I can continue my mission to aviation career success, hence my name. :D

That is great, dude! I am three weeks into training at Mesa, and I love it. Love the people, love the area, and I am doing great. I am doing good despite what certain(you know who you are) people told me, and I owe it all to MYSELF. I am the one that made myself get this far.

good luck on your job! Seems like alot of people are doing well here now.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Way to hang in there, man! Congratulations!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Way to hang in there, man! Congratulations!

Kev, if I remember correctly, you are a recent sheffield grad, correct? I finished in May. Got hired on with Mesa in Phoenix a month later. I have 3 other people in my training class, and two of them are sheffield grads. Im glad I went there, as the one other person that went to a school in Dallas seems whoefully unprepared. When is your interview?

My interview was on Wednesday at Republic. I got a question or two wrong from post-course atrophy, some fairly basic stuff, but oddly enough the answers came to me in my sleep that night. Funny how that happens! It was not for Sheffield's lack of preparation, I was just a bit rusty and have had a lot to deal with since I've been back home.

The rest of the interview went fine and it was great to meet the manager, who seemed very nice and professional. The dispatch office looked like it was full of good, hard-working people as well. I was very impressed. Just hope I was able to leave a good impression myself despite stumbling a bit. Man, I REALLY want to work there, though!

As for training, I would imagine that all it takes is a good look through the big green binder and a recall of the sum of experience throughout the training course to have a leg up until the moment you sit down for the comp check.

Glad to hear training is going well for you!

My interview was on Wednesday at Republic. I got a question or two wrong from post-course atrophy, some fairly basic stuff, but oddly enough the answers came to me in my sleep that night. Funny how that happens! It was not for Sheffield's lack of preparation, I was just a bit rusty and have had a lot to deal with since I've been back home.

The rest of the interview went fine and it was great to meet the manager, who seemed very nice and professional. The dispatch office looked like it was full of good, hard-working people as well. I was very impressed. Just hope I was able to leave a good impression myself despite stumbling a bit. Man, I REALLY want to work there, though!

As for training, I would imagine that all it takes is a good look through the big green binder and a recall of the sum of experience throughout the training course to have a leg up until the moment you sit down for the comp check.

Glad to hear training is going well for you!

Well it sounds like you will get the job. Just be patient. I really have not used the binder at all. They provided me with all the books I needed, and we have spend most of the time so far going thru Mesas Opspecs, and the different planes cfms. We have one more day of classroom, then off to ojt for 4 to 6 weeks. Then a com check and a desk check and then we are good to go. Will you be re locating to Indy if you get the job?

Indeed, a move to Indy would be appropriate. I'm only 2 hours away as it is, so it's no big hassle. It would work out to be the best case scenario for my lady and me. Her job prospects are greater there and she could work on her Masters at IUPUI while I finish up my bachelor's there. Plus, it's a quick hop over to Chicago for some time with our friends living in the area. I'd probably stay in Indy for some time- it looks like a very nice airline to work for and the fact that they keep growing could open up some interesting opportunities.

Not sure I'll snag that job this time around, I should know within the week either way. It does suck having to wait, but heading up there and checking out the operation gave me a good feeling about the place. I can only hope they take some time to see if they felt the same about me.

Indeed, a move to Indy would be appropriate. I'm only 2 hours away as it is, so it's no big hassle. It would work out to be the best case scenario for my lady and me. Her job prospects are greater there and she could work on her Masters at IUPUI while I finish up my bachelor's there. Plus, it's a quick hop over to Chicago for some time with our friends living in the area. I'd probably stay in Indy for some time- it looks like a very nice airline to work for and the fact that they keep growing could open up some interesting opportunities.

Not sure I'll snag that job this time around, I should know within the week either way. It does suck having to wait, but heading up there and checking out the operation gave me a good feeling about the place. I can only hope they take some time to see if they felt the same about me.

That would be cool. Sounds like things are looking up for you. Sounds like you will get the job. I waited for two weeks, and then out of the blue, I got the call from Mesa, and they offered me the job. 2 months later, im living in Phoenix. Sheffield pays off..I did just ok on my interview test, but good enough to get the job. So far, the training has been challenging, but I tend to rise to a challenge.

That is great, dude! I am three weeks into training at Mesa, and I love it. Love the people, love the area, and I am doing great. I am doing good despite what certain(you know who you are) people told me, and I owe it all to MYSELF. I am the one that made myself get this far.

good luck on your job! Seems like alot of people are doing well here now.

Thanks and Congrats to you as well. I see Mesa's Headquarters from where I work and I know you see the airport from all them windows on the 7th floor. :beer:

Thanks and Congrats to you as well. I see Mesa's Headquarters from where I work and I know you see the airport from all them windows on the 7th floor. :beer:

Well tomorrow I start my ojt. I have been at the facility on University, so tomorrow is my first day on the floor at corporate. Should be interesting. I am kinda nervous, but so far so good.

Well tomorrow I start my ojt. I have been at the facility on University, so tomorrow is my first day on the floor at corporate. Should be interesting. I am kinda nervous, but so far so good.

Went there for ramp agent interview. I walked out after they said what the starting wages would be.

Congratulations Good luck:rawk:

Back