Delta’s red dresses don’t fit, Northwest union says

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Delta’s red dresses don’t fit, Northwest union says
By Kelly Yamanouchi

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Friday, July 10, 2009

A Northwest Airlines union is protesting merger partner Delta Air Lines’ uniform policy that keeps flight attendants over size 18 from wearing Delta’s eye-catching signature red dress.

The red dress with a cinched waist is one of the work-wear options for Delta flight attendants, and it’s the type of uniform that makes flight attendants striding through airport concourses stand out.

Dan Klores Communications
The Delta flight attendant and customer service agent uniforms, designed by Richard Tyler, were previewed during Fashion Week in New York in 2005 (above) and debuted on flights in 2006.

“Red is a color that attracts attention and someone, somewhere has made a decision that they don’t want to attract attention to someone in a dress that’s larger than a size 18,” said Patricia Reller, vice-chair of the grievance committee at the flight attendants union’s executive council at Northwest. “I’m very offended by it.”

Atlanta-based Delta closed its deal to acquire Northwest last year, and Northwest flight attendants, pilots and customer service employees started wearing Delta uniforms about three months ago.

The Delta flight attendant and customer service agent uniforms, designed by Richard Tyler, were previewed during Fashion Week in New York in 2005 and debuted on flights in 2006. The designer focus of the Delta uniforms recalls an airline industry of decades past when passengers dressed up for flights and in-flight meals were commonplace.

The Association of Flight Attendants at Northwest filed grievances over the lack of availability of the red dress for females over size 18 and over a requirement that flight attendants who wear orthopedic shoes must wear slacks and not a skirt or dress. Those that wear the orthopedic shoes must obtain a doctor’s note.

Delta denied the grievances over the red dress and orthopedic shoes with slacks. The disputes are headed toward mediation.

“There are fuller-figured women who would like to wear the red dress,” Reller said. Others want to wear the orthopedic shoes with a skirt for a better look, she said.

Delta said its uniforms fall under its company policy and that most flight attendants from Northwest like the uniforms. Flight attendants can wear other pieces including slacks, tops and blue dresses in larger sizes.

“It’s a variety to fit a very diverse group of preferences and sizes, and to continue presenting a uniform collection that is both stylish and very functional,” said Delta spokeswoman Gina Laughlin.

Although the policies on the sizes of the red dress and the orthopedic shoes with slacks are not new at Delta, the flight attendants from Delta are not represented by a union. The merger with Northwest has brought the flight attendant union from that carrier, along with its grievance process, in contact with policies at the mostly non-union Delta. The Association of Flight Attendants hopes to unionize flight attendants at the combined Delta as the work forces from the two airlines merge, while an anti-union coalition of flight attendants from Delta has also formed.

Richard Tyler, who called the Delta uniforms “chic and glamorous” when they debuted, has participated in some of the flight attendants’ fit sessions to try on uniform pieces.

“This is Richard Tyler’s collection — he designed it, he knows it better than anyone,” Laughlin said. “So his perspective on how the pieces were meant to be worn, perhaps how the pieces could be best altered to fit someone — that’s invaluable

Some FAs are getting into those dresses, whether they fit it or not. They should all do that then maybe management will make bigger sizes.

:pop: This thread is still young....can't wait to read all the fat, unattractive FA comments from the magnificent JC studs. :deadhorse:

I am no wizzard about women's sizes at all, but size 18 isn't exactly considered svelte is it (unless the woman is 6'3")? Again, just asking because I am not sure how large (or small) size 18 is. What was Marilyn Monroe?

Size 18 is a pretty big girl. NOT obese, but a bit larger than "average." Don't hold me to it, but I think the average size of American women is a 10.

I am no wizzard about women's sizes at all, but size 18 isn't exactly considered svelte is it (unless the woman is 6'3")? Again, just asking because I am not sure how large (or small) size 18 is. What was Marilyn Monroe?
If I'm not mistaken, Marilyn Monroe was a 12 (maybe 14). Truthfully, I don't see how a FA larger than 18 would be able to get down the aisle without bumping into people on both sides.

Just throwing this out there...

But isn't telling someone they can't wear a certain outfit because of their size a form of discrimination?

Hmm--good question, but they're not denying them a job, just one form of the uniform. I believe they'd be allowed to implement any uniform policy they choose. Personally, I think the red dress is unflattering, regardless of the size. I think darker colors are more professional and are more flattering to all body types--as well as being more practical.

Hmm--good question, but they're not denying them a job, just one form of the uniform. I believe they'd be allowed to implement any uniform policy they choose. Personally, I think the red dress is unflattering, regardless of the size. I think darker colors are more professional and are more flattering to all body types--as well as being more practical.

Like I said, just throwing it out there.

You have an excellent point about the looks.

Red dress plus inevitable coffee spill in coach doesn't sound good!

Here is my curiosity with how these complaints work. Some service professions quite clearly discriminate based on appearance. For instance, restaurant hostesses for some reason are always young, thin females. I am also pretty sure I could not be a waiter at Hooters. However, I am told flight attendants do not have the youthful glow they once did. Legally, how are these professions different from face-of-the-business service people at the airlines? (This is not a statement about how anything should be. It is a question about how discrepancies exist in our system).

I gather where the disconnect is, is that there are a large variety of different uniform choices so you can choose something professional, you look good in and you feel good in. Because when you look good, you feel good and you're professional, you do a way better job because your confidence and self-esteem is sky high.

Not a whole lot of flight attendants wear the red dress. Generally, the ones that do can really make the customer say, "Wow! This ain't my father's Southernjets!", which was the intention, but there's a few that try to squeeze into it and it just doesn't work.

This is just my opinion, I'm probably wrong and I'm sure I'll get angry emails, PM's and probably a stern talking to from the boss, but for every increase (X) in size of uniforms that are meant for certain body types, there's X+3 sizes larger that'll try to squeeze into it. And if you're a size 25, you're going to look far more like a steakhouse tomato than you would anything else.

I know it's not fair, I acknowledge that. But forward of the locking cockpit door, we have one uniform to try to look professional in. aft of the locking cockpit door, there, I think, are at least five* variations if not more.

* as usual, if I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me.

You are 100% correct on all points...especially the first one. This is going to sound crazy, but I really miss wearing my uniform.

Because when you look good, you feel good and you're professional, you do a way better job because your confidence and self-esteem is sky high.

:clap::clap:

Well said.

I get this crazy image of lots of shiny buttons and red dresses walking down the concourse...

Correct me if I am wrong here, but aren't Flight Attendants expected to provide Basic Life Support services to customers in distress, such as heimlich maneuvers and CPR? At size 18, I would think it would be difficult to provide that kind of care in the cramped quarters of an airplane. Obviously, if the only duties now are to provide coffee and peanuts as well as point out the emergency exits, then size would not matter.

Also, on CNN today, they were commenting on how the current size 10 used to be size 14 about 8 years ago. All the women's clothiers have moved the sizing numbers down to accomodate for, uhmm, larger Americans. Therefore, a 2009 size 18 was a size 22 not too long ago.

You are 100% correct on all points...especially the first one. This is going to sound crazy, but I really miss wearing my uniform.

Thanks!

I just know that when my shirt is laundered, my slacks are clean and my hair is cut, I tend to be on my "A-Game" and get more "Hey, not trying to kiss your ass but you do good work" from the captain.

If I'm sporting the afro topiary, my shirts on it's second day and I feel like a slouch, I'm generally more bitter, negative and more "Well, what time does the 1730 flight leave? Well, when they're good 'n ready, they'll push us back, I'm going for a coffee."

Psychology plays a big role. At least in my world.

Back