Mesaba Announces Furloughs....

FYI, PCL's also lost a lot of outstations, and the replacement guys aren't near up to speed. Basically, training at an oustation consists of "Here's your SIDA badge, there's the airplane. Go get 'em, kid." It's not just ASA that's taken the hit.

The worst thing I did with Comair was training new stations. The change of scenery was nice, but it was SOOOOOO stressful being one of two people out of 20 (and the only one on the ramp) that knew what an airplane looked like. Plus they had you work ridiculous hours, at least the pay check and per diem was nice.

Wow thats an amazing statement. Haven't been to these stations but it seems that regional whipsawing involves rampers as well. Work at one company for a couple years. Switch the company. Rehire same employees.

Next thing you will be telling me is how Mesaba is taking "your" flying with less paid guys and comparing ASA's shiny contract to Mesaba's concessionary contract. If you are ASA get over it all regionals suck. Companies are only good to employees when it is convenient.

PS My regional is better than yours. Insert Sarcasm tag here

Exactly. Im pretty sure alot of us guys flying the red-tailed regionals wanted no part of this merger....suck for everyone.

Please, let's not turn this into a "my regional is less crappy than your regional" thread. Although, we're about due for one of those.

Joe, if you flip you epaulets upside down, I will find you in the airport and punch you in the face. :)

LOL! Ill help.....:D

I'm still amazed we call certain stations OURS, and certain FLYING OURS. Last I checked the flying attached to my plane said, "USairways" and whatever they want to do with it they can. Much like last time I checked the XJ, 9e, Compass, and ASA birds all had "Delta" name attached to them much like the stations. It sucks folks. But airlines are trying to survive. IF XJ could do the job and do it cheaper, its all part of the cost SAVINGS program we are all trying to do. I was just in RHI and it was an XJ crew and they were nothing but PROFESSIONAL and did a great job. I have no complaints at all. Now I was in TRI last night and heard a guy saying he's getting furloughed/laid off. It all sucks, but again like Steve said lets not get into the my regional is better then your regional. Or the OUR flying when next to the DAL/UAL/CAL it says express/connection etc. Because the last time I checked that flying ISNT any of ours but its mainlines to do with it as they please.

Good points there....

If you look close enough on some of those Pinnacle RJs, you might even still see NWA :) I had one the other day that actually had a BUG painted into the airplane. At least shoo the things away before you spray the thing down.

LOL!! :laff: Now thats funny!

FYI, PCL's also lost a lot of outstations, and the replacement guys aren't near up to speed. Basically, training at an oustation consists of "Here's your SIDA badge, there's the airplane. Go get 'em, kid." It's not just ASA that's taken the hit.

Once again good point.

Man, it seems like the last furlough just happened there. When was it? 2006? That really sucks. One of my friends was really close to upgrading there. :(

Reduction Notice 09-02 (more to come I'm sure)

34 Saab capt (24msp 10dtw)
5 mem Saab FO

If I'm doing my math right

Delta is awesome! Best thing that ever happened to Mesaba.

Reduction Notice 09-02 (more to come I'm sure)

34 Saab capt (24msp 10dtw)
5 mem Saab FO

If I'm doing my math right

Delta is awesome! Best thing that ever happened to Mesaba.

Wait. So they're not reducing MEM CAs? Does that mean you're safe for now, or are you looking at maybe getting bumped by someone from MSP or DTW?

Wait. So they're not reducing MEM CAs? Does that mean you're safe for now, or are you looking at maybe getting bumped by someone from MSP or DTW?

not reducing us yet.

I've yet to read the language, but my understanding is that a MSP or DTW person could bump me down yes. This should knock me out of CA seat, if not I'll be the last guy on the list.

Bout time to flip those epaulettes and my frown, upside down!

Captains are forced to down grade in order of seniority(reverse). It's in the contract. You can't voluntarily downgrade(right now according to the union). So we need 65-75 to go down and the most junior 45 CA's are MEM so they will be downgraded and have to figure out where they want to go from there. If you aren't bidding under 20(out of 66) in MEM you will be saying "clear right" by winter.

MEM has quite a bit of saab flying with the Florida stuff and I guess we are doing ATL flying out of MEM as well so it wont shrink that much its just that most of the captains that are there wont be there(on the left side) in the coming months.

If we use a 70 ca reduction(they want 65-75) the bottom 45 will be gone from MEM and the bottom 25 off of DTW ca list. Then the deck will be reshuffled from there. No one in MSP is close to being downgraded just displaced. The most senior CA downgraded will be right around 620 or so which is 21/66 in MEM, 66/93 in DTW. The 3 most junior CA's in MSP are 607, 600, & 597.

Captains are forced to down grade in order of seniority(reverse). It's in the contract. You can't voluntarily downgrade(right now according to the union). So we need 65-75 to go down and the most junior 45 CA's are MEM so they will be downgraded and have to figure out where they want to go from there. If you aren't bidding under 20(out of 66) in MEM you will be saying "clear right" by winter.

MEM has quite a bit of saab flying with the Florida stuff and I guess we are doing ATL flying out of MEM as well so it wont shrink that much its just that most of the captains that are there wont be there(on the left side) in the coming months.

If we use a 70 ca reduction(they want 65-75) the bottom 45 will be gone from MEM and the bottom 25 off of DTW ca list. Then the deck will be reshuffled from there. No one in MSP is close to being downgraded just displaced. The most senior CA downgraded will be right around 620 or so which is 21/66 in MEM, 66/93 in DTW. The 3 most junior CA's in MSP are 607, 600, & 597.
I think it's hilarious the at least one of the guys that will survive this is the reason the training department changed new FO's PC's to 11 months in so they could dump them.

Oh well, maybe reserve will treat that person some humility. :)

Clear Right!

I think it's hilarious the at least one of the guys that will survive this is the reason the training department changed new FO's PC's to 11 months in so they could dump them.

Oh well, maybe reserve will treat that person some humility. :)

Clear Right!

Does he have red hair????;)

There werent very many positive things said about that person. I never flew with him when he was an FO because I was in DTW. So everything to me is second hand info.

The worst thing I did with Comair was training new stations. The change of scenery was nice, but it was SOOOOOO stressful being one of two people out of 20 (and the only one on the ramp) that knew what an airplane looked like. Plus they had you work ridiculous hours, at least the pay check and per diem was nice.

Wow, tell me about it. I was working for XJT when CAL put my station up for bid, which went to Eagle. I now work for Eagle, and feel like I am one of the only people at the station that has the slightest clue what they are doing, or even take their job seriously, and cares about doing their job well. I know more than some of the supervisors, even. It is VERY aggravating.

Several weeks ago, the lead agent/supervisor for my shift called in sick. On this particular day, he and I are literally the only two people who know how to work passenger service (gate, ticket counter, baggage, etc). This left me completely alone. I had to work the gate, with a flight delayed for three hours, rebook all 50 people by myself, meanwhile people were left at the ticket waiting for over an hour, while I dealt with this flight. Not a fun day!

There are so many instances where I have to run down from the gate, to the ramp, to marshall an airplane in, wing walk, etc., because the rampers don't meet flights on time. Then, it makes me look bad, because the pilots don't know any better. The other week I got chewed out by some FO, because they had to sit out and wait for rampers to come marshall them in. I was the gate agent, was busy at the gate, and it wasn't my job to be meeting the airplane. It was the rampers. To top this off, our station doesn't staff anybody full time in ops, to answer radio calls. This FO procedes to chew me out for nobody meeting the airplane, and nobody answering in ops .... as though that is my fault, or within my control ... which is a huge pet peeve of mine ... taking things out on people, or arguing with people who have no control over whatever the situation is, to begin with, and can't do anything about it. It is such a shame that this is what the airlines have gone to. I just can't wait to finish school, and leave!

Does he have red hair????;)

There werent very many positive things said about that person. I never flew with him when he was an FO because I was in DTW. So everything to me is second hand info.
He was getting calmed down the last time he flew with me. Then I guess he went captain america. Oh well, hope he enjoys deep reserve.

Wow, tell me about it. I was working for XJT when CAL put my station up for bid, which went to Eagle. I now work for Eagle, and feel like I am one of the only people at the station that has the slightest clue what they are doing, or even take their job seriously, and cares about doing their job well. I know more than some of the supervisors, even. It is VERY aggravating.

Several weeks ago, the lead agent/supervisor for my shift called in sick. On this particular day, he and I are literally the only two people who know how to work passenger service (gate, ticket counter, baggage, etc). This left me completely alone. I had to work the gate, with a flight delayed for three hours, rebook all 50 people by myself, meanwhile people were left at the ticket waiting for over an hour, while I dealt with this flight. Not a fun day!

There are so many instances where I have to run down from the gate, to the ramp, to marshall an airplane in, wing walk, etc., because the rampers don't meet flights on time. Then, it makes me look bad, because the pilots don't know any better. The other week I got chewed out by some FO, because they had to sit out and wait for rampers to come marshall them in. I was the gate agent, was busy at the gate, and it wasn't my job to be meeting the airplane. It was the rampers. To top this off, our station doesn't staff anybody full time in ops, to answer radio calls. This FO procedes to chew me out for nobody meeting the airplane, and nobody answering in ops .... as though that is my fault, or within my control ... which is a huge pet peeve of mine ... taking things out on people, or arguing with people who have no control over whatever the situation is, to begin with, and can't do anything about it. It is such a shame that this is what the airlines have gone to. I just can't wait to finish school, and leave!
I wouldn't take it too personally, he may be in the same position as you that day being screwed by work (not that its an excuse). In addition next time a crew talks to you about having to wait say "No kidding, we are really understaffed, you should complain to ______" and give them the name of someone who is responsible for listening to complaints. I wouldn't ever "chew someone out", but to me everyone at a lot of stations seems to do everything, saw gate agents on the ramp all the time, I never had a clue who was responsible for anything.

I wouldn't take it too personally, he may be in the same position as you that day being screwed by work (not that its an excuse). In addition next time a crew talks to you about having to wait say "No kidding, we are really understaffed, you should complain to ______" and give them the name of someone who is responsible for listening to complaints. I wouldn't ever "chew someone out", but to me everyone at a lot of stations seems to do everything, saw gate agents on the ramp all the time, I never had a clue who was responsible for anything.
I just let the guy rant, and then let my supervisor know of his complaint (didn't complain about him, just let the supv. know that nobody was on the ramp, and that nobody was in ops to answer the radio). The FO was a bit rude about it, when all he had to do was pull me aside, and ask me to pass the complaint along. I had the same thing cross my mind, as you said; he was probably having a long day, maybe had been messed over by work, and was getting ready for his last leg.

It is crazy at some of these outstations. You just about have to do everything.

The other week I got chewed out by some FO, because they had to sit out and wait for rampers to come marshall them in. I was the gate agent, was busy at the gate, and it wasn't my job to be meeting the airplane.

Hahaha, I think this might have been one of my FO's. I'm sorry man. Just imagine being locked up in a cockpit with him for about 25 hours in a week.

When exactly was this? If it was at the end of may I was probably the captain on that flight. I do remember pulling up and having no marshallers, and then the FO trying to call ops over the radio. We were about 10 mins early IIRC so I didn't really care. He had a commute to catch after we got back so he was upset. I'll just say that you weren't the only person he annoyed that week, so don't take it personally. He actually told me he was going to go "talk to the rampers" and I said "fine". Guess I should've stopped him. Personally when I was an FO the last thing I ever felt the need was bitch at anyone. I let the skipper handle those sorts of things. I guess he didn't share that philosophy.

Back