Just curious...

future pilot

I know that this might seem like a stupid question, But... Upon being hired by a regional airline. What do you usually start out flying? Something like a Saab? or could you start out by flying a CRJ?

Totally depends on the airline and when you get hired. Some only fly jets some only fly turboprops and some fly a mix and then it's hard to say what you will get.

Im not talking about right now. i am talking about in the future. Hince the name Future Pilot :D
So you mean in the future when you get hired by a regional will you be put in a jet or a t-prop to start out?

Again if the airline only flies one type of plane you're pretty much guaranteed to be put in that plane. The trend seems to be toward fleet simplification.

I know that this might seem like a stupid question, But... Upon being hired by a regional airline. What do you usually start out flying? Something like a Saab? or could you start out by flying a CRJ?

If you pay enough money, though - you can skip flying some crappy turbo prop and go straight to an ultra sleek jet!

:sarcasm:

So you mean in the future when you get hired by a regional will you be put in a jet or a t-prop to start out?

Again if the airline only flies one type of plane you're pretty much guaranteed to be put in that plane. The trend seems to be toward fleet simplification.
Yes that is what i mean

There are too many variables to answer your question. If you get hired at Comair then you will surely be placed into the CRJ because thats all they operate. If you go somewhere like Skywest then you could go into the CRJ or Brasilia. Somewhere like Colgan and you are guaranteed that turbo prop. So it depends... But it doesn't matter what you are flying go where the pay is good and a strong union with a good contract. After a few months the wow factor or SJS wears off and you could care less what kind of plane you are flying.

There are too many variables to answer your question. If you get hired at Comair then you will surely be placed into the CRJ because thats all they operate. If you go somewhere like Skywest then you could go into the CRJ or Brasilia. Somewhere like Colgan and you are guaranteed that turbo prop. So it depends... But it doesn't matter what you are flying go where the pay is good and a strong union with a good contract. After a few months the wow factor or SJS wears off and you could care less what kind of plane you are flying.

Ive always wondered why the saying goes like that... wouldn't it make more sense to say "you couldn't care less"... meaning you care so little, you cant care any less.

sorry for the hijack

I think most of the time it comes down to company need. If the company flies more than one type of aircraft and they are filling all types, they might put the candidate in the type of aircraft depending on your background.

I can only speak for Comair. Comair flies CRJ-200, CRJ-700/900. Back when I got hired at Comair, every new-hire was going to JFK as DL was expanding their operation there. JFK is a CRJ-200 base, so everyone was going to JFK/CRJ-200. You can bid whatever you want, though. I bid CRJ2/CVG as soon as I could. I ended up being JFK based for only a month before transferring. CVG is a CRJ2/7/9 base. Comair got a few more CRJ9s, so a vacancy bid was issued. I ended up transferring to the CRJ7/9 for better QOL. Didn't last very long, because once they started to furlough, I got displaced back the CRJ-200 and then got furloughed myself;)

I think most of the time it comes down to company need. If the company flies more than one type of aircraft and they are filling all types, they might put the candidate in the type of aircraft depending on your background.

I can only speak for Comair. Comair flies CRJ-200, CRJ-700/900. Back when I got hired at Comair, every new-hire was going to JFK as DL was expanding their operation there. JFK is a CRJ-200 base, so everyone was going to JFK/CRJ-200. You can bid whatever you want, though. I bid CRJ2/CVG as soon as I could. I ended up being JFK based for only a month before transferring. CVG is a CRJ2/7/9 base.
Comair is the regional airline that i am hoping to be hired by. However that is a few years away untill i get to that point so alot can change.

Comair is the regional airline that i am hoping to be hired by. However that is a few years away untill i get to that point so alot can change.

Better hope that Comair will be around by then;) Comair used to be a good regional airline and the place to be a few years ago..... yeah, not so much anymore.

Back