Just curious...

What happened to kids these days? Loving on the ERJ/CRJ? Man if you're gonna get all hot and sweaty over an airliner at least make it something like a 777 or an MD11.

Nah, RJs are where it's at these days. They just look so cool.

What happened to kids these days? Loving on the ERJ/CRJ? Man if you're gonna get all hot and sweaty over an airliner at least make it something like a 777 or an MD11.
Lol i have a huge poster framed on my wall of a 777 cockpit!

I wish I could fly a DC-8 or 727. Something old with round gauges. Or even better, something older with round engines.

Why do you ask?

I think it's great that you're exploring where things are now.

But by the time you are qualified for a position at a Regional (and I would encourage you to explore other facets of aviation as well, just so you make informed decisions) I would suggest that you focus on learning to fly well.

Things will change as you progress. I'd hate to see you target fixate on the one thing like a Regional and miss out on other opportunities. There is all kinds of flying out there to do. Fortunately, there is a wide range of pilots in varying aspects of the profession - get a lot of perspective here at JC. Most are willing to answer questions and educate you along the way.

Well the 757-200 is my next fav but still nothing beats the ERJ. :)

Well the 757-200 is my next fav but still nothing beats the ERJ. :)

If you want the advice of a guy who has flown Brasillias, RJs, 737s, 757s, and now a 767ER, the ER is by far, hands down the best I have flown so far. While they all had good points and were fun to fly, I wouldn't aim so low.

I always said I would aim to fly a 777 someday. If I even get that far is another matter but that looks like one hell of a plane to fly or even be up front in the cockpit in.

I think it's great that you're exploring where things are now.

But by the time you are qualified for a position at a Regional (and I would encourage you to explore other facets of aviation as well, just so you make informed decisions) I would suggest that you focus on learning to fly well.

Things will change as you progress. I'd hate to see you target fixate on the one thing like a Regional and miss out on other opportunities. There is all kinds of flying out there to do. Fortunately, there is a wide range of pilots in varying aspects of the profession - get a lot of perspective here at JC. Most are willing to answer questions and educate you along the way.
Well since summer has just started. I Should have a lot of time right? WRONG. right now i have football camp with 2 a days all week this week. However after this week i should have some time. After my discovery flight i will look into getting some lessons this summer. how long would it take me to get my private?

Well since summer has just started. I Should have a lot of time right? WRONG. right now i have football camp with 2 a days all week this week. However after this week i should have some time. After my discovery flight i will look into getting some lessons this summer. how long would it take me to get my private?

Some of that depends on you. The more frequently you can afford to fly - 2-3 times a week - the less money you'll spend earning your private certificate.

The point is - you're thinking in terms of months. Aviation is a journey. I started out thinking I wanted to train fast and go to the regionals. However, in my training, I discovered that I really do love flying small airplanes when and where I want on my schedule. I have a good career (I'm 35, it's a little different for me) and the joy I get from flying keeps me from wanting to make a hobby a job - because it would get old for me. It's just how I'm wired.

It takes a lot of time to build your hours - you may have seen the recent Commutair job posting where they want 1500 TT minimum to be even considered, and there are a lot of guys out there competing for jobs with way more time than that in their logbooks.

At your age, focus on the small stuff. Enjoy your time. Get your private. Take some friends flying. Take dates up. Work on your IR, Commercial and eventually CFI tickets. Go to college, instruct on the side. Enjoy it.

The most "senior" guys on this site - Calcapt, Typhoon, Doug...they'll tell you it's a journey, not a destination.

Some of that depends on you. The more frequently you can afford to fly - 2-3 times a week - the less money you'll spend earning your private certificate.

The point is - you're thinking in terms of months. Aviation is a journey. I started out thinking I wanted to train fast and go to the regionals. However, in my training, I discovered that I really do love flying small airplanes when and where I want on my schedule. I have a good career (I'm 35, it's a little different for me) and the joy I get from flying keeps me from wanting to make a hobby a job - because it would get old for me. It's just how I'm wired.

It takes a lot of time to build your hours - you may have seen the recent Commutair job posting where they want 1500 TT minimum to be even considered, and there are a lot of guys out there competing for jobs with way more time than that in their logbooks.

At your age, focus on the small stuff. Enjoy your time. Get your private. Take some friends flying. Take dates up. Work on your IR, Commercial and eventually CFI tickets. Go to college, instruct on the side. Enjoy it.

The most "senior" guys on this site - Calcapt, Typhoon, Doug...they'll tell you it's a journey, not a destination.
Ok thanks for the advice! However as i said before i do not know exactley when i want to start my "JOURNEY" Weather it be in high school, Or as i am considering going to college to do my training. Another thing. What are your thaughts on ATP? I have talked with a few people who went there and they said it was a BLAST. Currentley they all hold jobs at the regional level. When or how i begin my journey. I will definatley be sure to enjoy it.

Ok thanks for the advice! However as i said before i do not know exactley when i want to start my "JOURNEY" Weather it be in high school, Or as i am considering going to college to do my training. Another thing. What are your thaughts on ATP? I have talked with a few people who went there and they said it was a BLAST. Currentley they all hold jobs at the regional level. When or how i begin my journey. I will definatley be sure to enjoy it.

There is plenty of research out there on ATP - search the forums, you'll find quite a bit of good info. Originally, I had planned on going there, but decided to get my PPL first, outside of ATP, to make sure that I really wanted to fly pro. I was pleased at what I found and glad I didn't go.

Opinions vary about ATP - we have some very successful ATP grads around here, and there are also a few people who are not fans of ATP. Make your own decision on what's right for you.

Personally, though - I would give careful consideration to one thing: hiring is not really going on right now - you can get all your ratings quickly there, but there isn't much of a reason to train quickly to that level if there is no job for you to pick up, y'know?

Ask lots of questions, use the search feature. You'll be fine.

But it doesn't matter what you are flying go where the pay is good and a strong union with a good contract. After a few months the wow factor or SJS wears off and you could care less what kind of plane you are flying.

There are no Regionals with good pay or strong unions or good contracts. That paradigm does not exist.

There is no such thing as a "best regional."

Right now there is tremendous turmoil in the regional world and it will take a little while to sort out. The big thing to look at with a regional is advancement potential balanced with pay. Horizon is great, sure. But their upgrade time is longer than most major airlines. Same with Eagle. I ended up at Pinnacle who had pretty average pay at the time but considerable growth and advancement potential. It worked out well.

Others got hired in similar situations and the music stopped. I know people that got hired at Comair the same time I got hired by "southernjets international..." they are now on furlough.

Currently everything is on pause, though. Upgrade times are pretty much indefinite at every regional and there is alot of sorting out to be done over the next few years. Build your flying time and get your ratings and get a good idea as youre getting toward the qualification minimums and things should be sorted out a bit better by then.

Ah, yes, the Disposable Brazilian Jet. The XR version looks nice, but they are all slow.

SLOW? Mach .80? compared to what? Concorde and the CE-750? :p

Also, asking what's the best regional is no different than asking what's the best major/legacy/lcc. Different places work better for different people. Sure FedEx pays the best but a lot of people might not want to work nights or be based in MEM/ANC and not have travel benefits. Continental might not pay well in comparison, but maybe you're from Cleveland and would like to be based at home. It's all arbitrary and subjective.

Honestly I think most pilots would do well to avoid the regionals altogether, but for some people they end up being the only option. In my case, my CFI job was going down the tubes and I was working less than 40 hrs per month (<15k/yr) so I was desperate for an out. I really wanted a 135 freight job but could not get one, since I only had about 1000 hrs. Luckily, things worked out well for me, but had I been hired just a few months later I would be singing a different tune.

Back