Tailwheel Endorsement: I haz one.

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
It should be illegal to have this much fun. Truly. I couldn't stop grinning, cackling maniaclly to myself as I repeatedly slipped the sucker down to the turf and then kicked it out, learning to settle gently....

Two days of yanking and banking, tap dancing on the rudder, one near-ground loop, and a plane that will slip like an express elevator to hell, and I have my endorsement.

I ain't qualified to just go jump in any taildragger, and I can't even solo this plane without 100 hours in it, but I feel like a hell of a lot better pilot.

I learned to save the bad landings that I could, convert a 3-pointer to a wheel or go around when I couldn't. To land when it was ready and not before. I learned that fat Alaska tires on pavement are difficult at best. And that Larry at the FBO will make fun of you for bouncing one pretty bad.

On grass, they're outstanding.

I understand more about rudder control now than I ever thought possible.

And when you THINK the stick is all the way back to plant that tailwheel, you really do have another inch or so of travel, and it does make a difference.

If the Cessna 172 is the Honda Accord of the sky, then the '59 SuperCub is most certainly a Jeep:

supercub_llano_2.JPG

I have never had more fun in my life. And Ken, my instructor, does this the right way: it's not just instruction. It's a Texas Hill Country Flying Adventure where you will land in pastures, unmarked grass strips, pavement, nice grass strips, riverbed sandbar touch n' goes and if you're lucky, an island in a lake. You'll learn wheel landings, 3-pointers, crosswind-rudder-two-step-jitterbug. He's about making the whole thing educational and fun, instead of educational and boring.

You'll also have sore legs and back from muscling the plane around. And you'll grin stupidly the whole time and cackle to yourself.

You'll learn how to do a MONSTER "slip-around-the-corner" to touch down softly, gently, at Llano.

llano%20river.JPG

Most importantly, you'll feel more like an Aviator and less like a "pilot."

Best money I've spent so far in flight training. I REALLY want a tailwheel airplane now.

pretty%20cub%202.JPG

I've included a couple of pictures here, but the full album (and you REALLY need to look at the Colorado river shots) is linked below.

http://picasaweb.google.com/billy.hutchison/Tailwheel#

Awesome dude! I'm so happy for you!

:nana2:

Sorry we didn't meet up last night as well!

So...you liked it?

Sounds like a BLAST!

Oh, yeah. I'm seriously crunching numbers. I figure I can start the "looking and investigating" process now...get hard numbers, do research, etc. Maybe in 9-12 months I can look at buying an airplane.

I still have Citabria lust. Can't afford a SuperCub, much as I'd like one.

I don't wanna go back to a 172. But I will. I'd rather have a stick and a tailwheel though. Damn. Awesome.

Most excellent.

I'll agree some of the most fun I've had flying was in tailwheel airplanes.

Congrats on a checkout. I'll bet you can find a Champ with electrics for alot less than you think.

I know exactly how you feel. An old super cub down low and slow is pure heaven. It is like flying a Harley. I feel sorry for anyone that never gets to experience the feeling. Congrats on your endorsement, have fun looking at Trade-a-Plane, and barnstormers.com. The prices reflect just how fun tandem tailwheel planes are.

It should be illegal to have this much fun. Truly. I couldn't stop grinning, cackling maniaclly to myself as I repeatedly slipped the sucker down to the turf and then kicked it out, learning to settle gently....

Two days of yanking and banking, tap dancing on the rudder, one near-ground loop, and a plane that will slip like an express elevator to hell, and I have my endorsement.

I ain't qualified to just go jump in any taildragger, and I can't even solo this plane without 100 hours in it, but I feel like a hell of a lot better pilot.

I learned to save the bad landings that I could, convert a 3-pointer to a wheel or go around when I couldn't. To land when it was ready and not before. I learned that fat Alaska tires on pavement are difficult at best. And that Larry at the FBO will make fun of you for bouncing one pretty bad.

On grass, they're outstanding.

I understand more about rudder control now than I ever thought possible.

And when you THINK the stick is all the way back to plant that tailwheel, you really do have another inch or so of travel, and it does make a difference.

That's one of the best summaries of tailwheel training I've read in a long time. Brought back many fond memories of my first flights in a tailwheel. I thought it's funny that you go from a 3-point to a wheel style to "save" a landing, too...in my plane, I do exactly the opposite! ;)

The longer you hang around tailwheel pilots, the more you'll see the never ending argument between which is better, 3 point or wheel landings. And like so many other areas of aviation, the answer is, "it depends."

When you're shopping for a plane, don't rule out the Cessna 140. It doesn't have a stick, but the side by side seating is really nice, it's fun to fly, and probably one of the cheapest tailwheel planes on the market to buy and operate.

That's one of the best summaries of tailwheel training I've read in a long time. Brought back many fond memories of my first flights in a tailwheel. I thought it's funny that you go from a 3-point to a wheel style to "save" a landing, too...in my plane, I do exactly the opposite! ;)

The longer you hang around tailwheel pilots, the more you'll see the never ending argument between which is better, 3 point or wheel landings. And like so many other areas of aviation, the answer is, "it depends."

When you're shopping for a plane, don't rule out the Cessna 140. It doesn't have a stick, but the side by side seating is really nice, it's fun to fly, and probably one of the cheapest tailwheel planes on the market to buy and operate.

Speaking of tailwheel Cessna's, do you have any experience with Cessna 152 Aerobats with the Texas Taildragger conversion?

Congratulations. Total agreement on the appreciation for the rudder sentiment. I sold my Aeronca Chief a couple of weeks ago and am looking forward to buying my next tailwheel. Regarding the 3 pointer to wheel decision, was that on a bounce?

Congratulations! they're so much fun. I can't wait to get back to the taildraggers

When looking at Cessna 140s stay away from the metalized ones; they are essentially single place airplanes.

Excellent writeup and photos, congrats, but man you gotta loosen up and tell us how you really feel about flying taildraggers!

Back