Tailwheel Endorsement: I haz one.

You're 130 lbs... not quite the average 190 lbs. male.
The one I fly has an empty weight of about 1000 lbs. (it does have a TC, landing light, larger engine), so looking at a useful load of 450 lbs. Two 180 lbs. people leaves 80 lbs for gas and gear. Pack light. Add to that the DAs around here in the summer (airfield elevation 4000', temperatures >30 degrees C), and the performance is not the best. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great airplane and it is what I use during the tail wheel transition when I take the student to dirt strips (don't want to ding my baby's composite prop). It also gives the pilots a different perspective from the 8KCAB.

Ok, that makes sense, but I'm not sure if the problem is with metalized wings as much as the core fact that it's a 140. 140s, as a whole, are not good at hauling heavy loads over mountainous terrain. I'll be the first to admit it's no bush plane. But that could be said for almost any piston single with less than 150 horsepower.

I just objected to 140s being considered a "single place" aircraft. My plane will carry full fuel plus two 180 pound guys and even have 10 pounds to spare for bags. It's on par with most C-150s and some C-152s and, although those airframes are never classified as rockets, they are generally respected as two place planes.

Now Ercoupes, *those* are two seat aircraft that are only good for a single seat... ;)

Great write up! The Citabria is a great taildragger. Pretty economical to own and maintain and a blast to fly.

I'm guessing P-factor. During taxi, tail low, just like on departure need more right rudder to counteract left turning tendency ...

Never had to do that before (and my brakes don't work worth a $@&%). Any amount of wind will have more of an affect. At taxi, generally, you aren't creating enough RPMs.

I think you just convinced me to get off my bum and get my endorsement. A guy at the local airport offered up his Luscombe 8A ( :drool: )for my personal pleasure, since it currently hides in the back of his hangar for 364 days out of the year

I think you just convinced me to get off my bum and get my endorsement. A guy at the local airport offered up his Luscombe 8A ( :drool: )for my personal pleasure, since it currently hides in the back of his hangar for 364 days out of the year

Man, you ought to be all over that. A Luscombe is even a little more squirelly than most small taildraggers due to the stiff, narrow gear.

Have fun with it and we want a full report.:D

Jeremy - if you get a chance, go down to JWY and look for Carol Walker. She does some teaching in her Citabria there - she's also a DPE. I'm sure you could get a little bit of good TW time with her if you wanted. And she's a very nice, very patient person.

:yeahthat: Carols great. I live up the road at Eagles Nest,(when I'm actually home) and do T&Gs at JWY, because we can't do them at the nest.

:yeahthat: Carols great. I live up the road at Eagles Nest,(when I'm actually home) and do T&Gs at JWY, because we can't do them at the nest.

Yeah, she did my PPL checkride. Tough, but nice. And one of the most educational flights I've ever had.

I agree with t-cart.

You need to jump on that opportunity ASAP!

Good for you bubba. Got my tailwheel years ago in an Aeronca. Was awesome, but never went back for the same sort of insurance-type reasons. As I understand it, tailwheels make a powerful argument for ownership over rental, as you detailed. Enjoy!

Back