Interesting.....

Qgar

AP

McALLEN, Texas (AP) — A South Texas woman remained paralyzed Monday after her Continental Airlines flight from Houston to McAllen experienced severe turbulence.

Three people in all were taken to a local hospital Saturday when Continental flight 511 landed in McAllen at 2:17 a.m., said Continental spokeswoman Mary Clark.

One passenger and a crew member were treated and released, Clark said.

But a 47-year-old woman who was in the airplane's restroom at the time of the turbulence suffered a fractured neck, Dr. Trey Fulp, an orthopedic spine surgeon at McAllen Medical Center told The McAllen Monitor Monday. The woman, who Fulp did not identify for privacy reasons, was thrown against the ceiling.

Doctors spent six hours operating on her back after the plane landed Saturday and planned to operate on her neck Monday. The back injury left her paralyzed from the chest down, Fulp said. It was unclear if the paralysis would be permanent, he said.

The flight's departure from Houston had been delayed, but the plane had begun its descent into McAllen when it encountered "sudden turbulence." The seat belt signs were illuminated at the time, Clark said.

Too bad for her.

I sure as crap hope no d-bag lawyer will even give her a look since she shouldn't have a case.

So.....what's the chance the seat belt light was on? I see it all the time when then start to get a little bumps, the light come on and people still get up....

questions that come to mind:

was the light on?

where was the lady when it came on?

The flight's departure from Houston had been delayed, but the plane had begun its descent into McAllen when it encountered "sudden turbulence." The seat belt signs were illuminated at the time, Clark said.

So.....what's the chance the seat belt light was on? I see it all the time when then start to get a little bumps, the light come on and people still get up....

questions that come to mind:

was the light on?

where was the lady when it came on?

JEP, we all you you go to work early man, but come on! :D

Qgar even put it in bold.

yeah, started typing and hit save before finishing reading.....

I guess it all depends on the crew's actions. I've seen people ask to get up when the seat belt light is on and once they get a little testy the crew relents and they are allowed to get up... I've also seen people just get up without asking.

It's a crap situation to be sure. You have to feel for the lady and for the whole crew. No one wants that kind of thing to happen.

Too bad for her.

I sure as crap hope no d-bag lawyer will even give her a look since she shouldn't have a case.

Devils advocate knocking......

shouldn't have a case??? Wow, great to know you already have the answers....:rolleyes:

Was the light on when she went to the can? we don't know.

Did the crew make any announcements about expected turbulence? we don't know.

Were the lights on? even though the CO spokesperson says they were on, we don't know.

Call us back when it is a family member that is paralyzed from a similar event.... seriously.

All I am saying is there is far more information required to make such a statement.

Irregardless of whether or not the lady "shouldn't have a case" or not she does have one. She expected a certain level of service from Continental. This service was not met, she had the expectation that once she boarded the aircraft that she would be walking off in McAllen, TX under her own power. This is the same way that Spielberg sued AAL and won when the aircraft they were on hit some clear air turbulence.

I don't agree with it, but that is what will happen. There is already precedent therefore Continental may just settle out of court and raise ticket prices in turn.

<table border="0"><tbody><tr align="left"><td>
donkey.gif
</td> <td>IRREGARDLESS

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
pencil.gif
<table> <tbody><tr><td>
owl.gif
</td> <td>REGARDLESS

</td> </tr></tbody></table>
rule.gif

Regardless of what you have heard, “irregardless” is a redundancy. The suffix “-less” on the end of the word already makes the word negative. It doesn’t need the negative prefix “ir-” added to make it even more negative.
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/irregardless.html

Regardless of what you have heard, “irregardless” is a redundancy. The suffix “-less” on the end of the word already makes the word negative. It doesn’t need the negative prefix “ir-” added to make it even more negative.
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/irregardless.html

Thanks! It always drives me nuts to see that.... as well as "mute".... I mean "moot" points.

Telling me to come back when it is a family member that is paralyzed is a bit of a cop-out. I've seen plenty of disregard for crewmember instructions. Heck, I always pay attention to the safety briefing when I'm in uniform. I just see bad things coming from an incident like this, whether or not you feel sorry for the lady who disregarded the seatbelt sign.

I have no sympathy for her, hum lets see a flight delay for T-storms in TX, what are the chances it was bumpy all along?? Probably very likely that it was and the seat belt sign being on as well. Of course CO will settle and she'll get rewarded for her lack of common sense and the rest will have to pay for it. :banghead::banghead::banghead: It's the American way. I've seen it happening on every flight, always someone up and about with the sign on.
The madness will never stop until we begin to hold people accountable for their actions, specially stupid people. Yes I know very politically incorrect, but I support darwinism. :nana2::nana2:

Primarily why they require us to state "secure your seatbelts" whenever we turn the seatbelt light on so no one can come back and sue when they say they didn't know.

Not to derail the thread but the year I got hired, we were being sued because one of the flights had a hard landing (well, according to the plaintiff) and ruptured a breast implant.

I'm not even kidding.

The madness will never stop until we begin to hold people accountable for their actions, specially stupid people. Yes I know very politically incorrect, but I support darwinism. :nana2::nana2:

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

Primarily why they require us to state "secure your seatbelts" whenever we turn the seatbelt light on so no one can come back and sue when they say they didn't know.

Not to derail the thread but the year I got hired, we were being sued because one of the flights had a hard landing (well, according to the plaintiff) and ruptured a breast implant.

I'm not even kidding.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I don't agree that CO should have any legal action against them but like phoenix said, until we hold stupid people accountable for their actions nothing will change and the price of everything will continue to rise.

I'm not even kidding.

Wow Doug,

But like that old saying: Reality is stranger than fiction, you just can't make this stuff up.

When you gotta go you gotta go.....Maybe they should put a seat belt in the lav, problem fixed. You could strap yourself in and let er rip!!

Back