Interesting.....

For those few that think this person has a case, consider this...

She was in direct violation of a couple of Federal Regulations. Doesn't matter the level of service she expected, it will come down to the fact that she was in violation.

Guaranteed she'll use the, "I didn't know the sign was on, didn't hear the announcement and the nobody told me to sit down" excuse. I had a woman get up and come to the aft galley DURING initial climb AFTER a 40 minute delay on takeoff (with the seat belt sign OFF while waiting to deice) and cop a major attitude when I told her to sit down. She got extremely rude with me insisting that I had no clue on how to provide good "customer service" and that she saw the seat belt sign ON, but that "you guys NEVER turn it off."
Seriously...:rolleyes:

Once the seat belt light is on, they're at their own risk. All the F/A can do is warn them and let them go about their business. If they get hurt, oh well....

Or she'll use the argument that the captain had the seatbelt sign on the entire flight including periods where there was no turbulance.

BUT, there was a threat of turbulence, which is why the light was on and it proved to be accurate.

Why not just leave the sign on the entire flight, all the time?

People get up anyways regardless, and with the sign on I'd guess you are more protected from being personally sued.

Obviously from a customer service standpoint it's crap, but so is our crap legal system... and leaving the sign on protects the income just a bit more. Otherwise it's taking a personal risk for someone else's benefit. Just curious. I'm mostly kidding and don't do it myself, but has anyone else thought about it??

Doesn't the operator carry insurance for this anyway? I know we carry excess insurance because trust me, not everyone is happy always about having their houses painted red, even when it stops it from burning down.

Oh I'm sure operators carry more than enough insurance to protect themselves...

Then again I'm sure anyone filing a lawsuit about it would try to name everyone even remotely involved, and their mothers.

Look at post accident lawsuits: pilots, their families, and their estates have all been named in suits. Again I do turn the sign off regularly, and I fly short flights at mid to low altitudes where unexpected bumps happen somewhat frequently. But it has crossed my mind.

Doesn't the operator carry insurance for this anyway? I know we carry excess insurance because trust me, not everyone is happy always about having their houses painted red, even when it stops it from burning down.

Yes, absolutely. But it's the new legal fashion to go after the individual members of the crew in addition to the airline.

Also, wouldn't the plantiff need to prove in some way that the crew acted in a malicious or capricious manner?

What about if the light was turned on while she was in the crapper? Would she still be responsible to pinch it and run back to her seat?

If the seat belt sign is off and turbulence happens anyways, you are negligent. A professional pilot should be able to recognize areas of possible turbulence, and turn the sign on in anticipation.

See, easy argument :) Now give me a million dollars.

Oh, forgot this old story from Skyway, I'll make it fast so I can go take care of some errands.

About to depart MSN for MKE back in the mid 1990's in the winter. A lady slips on the ice outside of the terminal and smacks her noggin on the ground.

I rush over, see if she's ok and ask if she thinks she'd like to have someone look at her before the flight, which she declines.

Board the flight, doing my little "Welcome aboard Skyway Airlines, yadda yadda yadda, strap in yo seatbelts" spiel and her eyes are rolling around in her head like a cartoon and the guy next to her mentions that she kept speaking in unintelligible gibberish a few moments earlier.

So I notify the captain, I call out for the paramedics to have her looked at. Dilated pupils, clammy skin the whole nine and the paramedics advise her that she needs to go to the emergency room NOW.

They cart her off and I get a call from the chief pilot thanking me for everything and that she had a massive concussion and massive amounts of subdural bleeding and according to his conversation, probably wouldn't have made it too much longer without medical attention.

A week later, I get a call from the chief pilot that I'm getting subpoenaed because she's now suing Midwest Express, Skyway Airlines, Dane County, the Captain AND ME PERSONALLY.

She wasn't hurt, fell on the ice because I failed to clear it, and I belligerently pulled her off the airplane and forced her to miss her daughter's wedding in Los Angeles.

Meanwhile, the gentleman that told me that she was speaking in gibberish and was concerned about her health was her husband... Who continued on to MKE and then to LAX when his wife got carted off to spend a week in the hospital.

People are weird. Glad I have lawyers on retainer by being with a union, man. It's a crazy world in the passenger hauling business. Gots to protect yo self.

Lawsuit got dropped, by the way, in case you were wondering! ;)

Back