Most "B.A." Airplane - Part I - Military Prop

My late grandfather flew every fighter that the Army had except for the P-36 (a P-40 with a radial basically). He flew the P-40 and the P-47 in combat and the rest he flew when he got back at McCoy Field in Orlando as a test pilot. I think he preferred the P-40 to all of them but, that is only because he talked about it more.

He was one of the test pilots that got to figure out how to launch a P-40 off of an aircraft carrier. Notice I didn't say land on a carrier. The mission he had to do was fly off of a converted carrier (liberty ship) fight his way into North Africa. Then he was supposed to land at a German airfield, jump out of the cockpit and fight some more to try to take over that field. Fortunately, when he got there the Germans had already retreated so he just had to land and then lay around until the rest of the Army showed up.

I have a few pictures of him launching off of the carrier that came from the National Archives. Unfortunately, they are old and have not been scanned into a computer yet. Still, pretty cool to see a couple of P-40's on the deck of a ship.

Maggie and I are building a P-40 model as our current project. Will decorate as an AVG airplane with the Chinese Roundels. Great story - thanks for sharing!

First is the P-51
p51mustang_500.jpg

Then, the F-4U,
ChanceVoughtF4U_1.jpg

Then the T-6A Texan II,
040519-F-2171A-500.jpg

If you have ever see the air show demo of the T-6A is a freak in the air! Put some hard points on that with a gun pod or two and then when another C-172 comes along they won't need two citations and all that support from the F-16s and tankers!

040519-F-2171A-500.jpg

If you have ever see the air show demo of the T-6A is a freak in the air! Put some hard points on that with a gun pod or two and then when another C-172 comes along they won't need two citations and all that support from the F-16s and tankers!

I've actually wondered about that from time to time. That's how they roll in South America. Norad could use a lesson.

I'm going to be a bit prejudiced in my choice. It's the P-3 series aircraft and here's why.

1. 18 operators world wide, over 600 built over 30 years
  2. You can shut down two engines on station.
  3. Versatile, used by NASA, Customs, and NOAA
  4. Flys into hurricanes
  5. Carries not only Torpedoes and used to Special Weapons but Mk-80 series dumb bombs, rockeyes, zuni rockets, Harpoon. Overland missions carry Maverick and SLAM-ER. Actually fired SLAM ER in combat.
  6. Sturdy aircraft. In March 1995 VP-47 had an overspeeding prop, which had one of the blades break off the #4 prop. The result was the # 4 prop departing the aircraft, hitting number three, slicing an 11 inch wide cut through the middle of the aircraft which killed all power on the other two engines. The aircraft successfully ditched with no power, no hydraulics, and no casualties... LINK
  7. vp47p3ditch.jpg
  8. It is the best aerial firefighting platform.
  9. The P-3 platform is the only US Military aircraft in the past decade with a confirmed kill. April 1st 2001, a Chinese F-8 rammed into the #1 prop of an EP-3. That same EP-3 was flying missions off of China again in 2005.
    361-ouch.jpg
I'll add more about why the P-3 kicks butt!

image030.jpg

image018.jpg

p3-1.jpg

p3orion2.jpg

p3-3.jpg

First is the P-51

Then the T-6A Texan II,
040519-F-2171A-500.jpg

Agreed... I wouldnt call it the "Most B.A.", but I love the looks of the T-6 behind the P-51 and the 'big ugly' C130

I'm going to be a bit prejudiced in my choice. It's the P-3 series aircraft and here's why.

1. 18 operators world wide, over 600 built over 30 years
  2. You can shut down two engines on station.
  3. Versatile, used by NASA, Customs, and NOAA
  4. Flys into hurricanes
  5. Carries not only Torpedoes and used to Special Weapons but Mk-80 series dumb bombs, rockeyes, zuni rockets, Harpoon. Overland missions carry Maverick and SLAM-ER. Actually fired SLAM ER in combat.
  6. Sturdy aircraft. In March 1995 VP-47 had an overspeeding prop, which had one of the blades break off the #4 prop. The result was the # 4 prop departing the aircraft, hitting number three, slicing an 11 inch wide cut through the middle of the aircraft which killed all power on the other two engines. The aircraft successfully ditched with no power, no hydraulics, and no casualties... LINK
  7. vp47p3ditch.jpg
  8. It is the best aerial firefighting platform.
  9. The P-3 platform is the only US Military aircraft in the past decade with a confirmed kill. April 1st 2001, a Chinese F-8 rammed into the #1 prop of an EP-3. That same EP-3 was flying missions off of China again in 2005.
    361-ouch.jpg
I'll add more about why the P-3 kicks butt!

image030.jpg

image018.jpg

p3-1.jpg

p3orion2.jpg

p3-3.jpg

Mike is a homer!

Having flown the T-6 Texan II, I'd prefer the Tweet. It had two engines. Still fun to fly. The most BA military aircraft exists to kill the men on the ground, not in single combat. I nominate/vote for the Douglas A-1 Skyraider. Long loiter time plus payload means lots of dead badguys. 280 knots top speed. 1100 NM range, 4 20 mm cannons plus 7 hardpoint per wing with 8000 lbs of ordinance. Yes, the Mustang, Corsair, and Grumman cats would 'whup' it, but the man on the ground and the man in the helo there to rescue him prefer the durability and staying power of the Skyraider.
a1h_skyraider.jpg

Having flown the T-6 Texan II, I'd prefer the Tweet. It had two engines. Still fun to fly. The most BA military aircraft exists to kill the men on the ground, not in single combat. I nominate/vote for the Douglas A-1 Skyraider. Long loiter time plus payload means lots of dead badguys. 280 knots top speed. 1100 NM range, 4 20 mm cannons plus 7 hardpoint per wing with 8000 lbs of ordinance. Yes, the Mustang, Corsair, and Grumman cats would 'whup' it, but the man on the ground and the man in the helo there to rescue him prefer the durability and staying power of the Skyraider.
a1h_skyraider.jpg

Skyraiders absolutely rock and define Bad Assness. Carried more ordinance than a B-17.

I can't believe we have folks here that don't know what an OV-10 Bronco is. Sheesh :p! Reminds me of the FO I flew with years ago that could not correctly tell the difference between a 737, 757 or 767.

Ground: "Jetlink 2100, follow the CAL 757 on SB."

Jetlink 2100: "Roger, follow the 757 on SB."

FO: "Which one is the 757?"

Me: *facepalm*

I can't believe we have folks here that don't know what an OV-10 Bronco is. Sheesh :p! Reminds me of the FO I flew with years ago that could not correctly tell the difference between a 737, 757 or 767.

Ground: "Jetlink 2100, follow the CAL 757 on SB."

Jetlink 2100: "Roger, follow the 757 on SB."

FO: "Which one is the 757?"

Me: *facepalm*
OV-10s are quiet. Actually saw one flying around St. Louis on weekend a few years back. Couldn't believe that a turboprop could be that quiet.

F8F Bearcat. Can't believe anyone thinks this is even a contest. Read some of the immediately-post-war literature about testing the F8F vs. the "premiere" fighers of the day. Basically flew circles around the 47N, 51H, 190D, etc etc. Even stacked up pretty well against the 262, even when flying the 262's preferred "boom n zoom" game. Bearcat FTW!

0708011_12.jpg

Have you ever tried to sit in one?

I'm 6'2" and I barely fit in there....very, very small cockpit which makes it not very fun to operate.

Wow. You poor thing, being forced to sit in a Bearcat. I need your problems.

No worries, I'm 5'10 and about 155lbs soaking wet, I'll fly it for you. I knew being puny would come in handy someday...

Ahh, the L-ship series. I've flown one of them (L-16) and they all look really cool. As cool as they are, I can't imagine flying one in the combat environment

That's what makes it the easy winner in this category. :)

"You're gonna go where? In that? In the daytime? Sheeeeaaat."

Mad respect for those guys. Mad respect.

Back