Most "B.A." Airplane - Part I - Military Prop

ctab5060X

Most "Bad Ass" airplane contest, Part I.

MILITARY PROP

"Bad ass" criteria can include but not limited to the following:
-Toughness
-Lethal Payload
-Survivability
-Versatility
-Looks

Rules:
1. This is for PROP powered MILITARY airplanes ONLY! Jets and civilian aircraft have their own threads.

2.Include a picture.

3.Include your reason why said airplane in picture is to be considered "bad ass". It doesn't have to be an essay, just something quick and simple.

4. If you agree with a previous post (or would like to add to airplanes said "bad ass" nomination), please post, as the top candidates will be involved in a future runoff.

5. Multiple nominations (as separate posts please) are permitted/encouraged.

Nomination:

Lockheed P-38 Lightning

lockheed-p-38-lightning-2.jpg

Criteria for nomination:

Toughness
- Flew in European Theater prior to introduction of the Mustang. Sustained losses similar to the Mustang while flying sorties prior to Allied air superiority.
- America's two top Aces of WWII both flew Lightnings in the Pacific Theater.

Lethal Payload
- 1 20mm cannon, 4 .50 cal machine guns, and the capability (in later models) to carry 2 2000lb bomb.

Survivability
- 2 engines versus one. Although the engines were liquid cooled, improvements help take the vulnerability of the location out of the equation, thus making the second engine "insurance" to get home.

Versatility
- Numerous variants. Everything from photo recon to night flying to a prototype for carrier operations.

Looks
- See picture. Enough said.

This isn't even a fair competition..

6345.jpg

P51-D

Speaks for itself.. the most B.A. plane of all time hands down!:bandit:

everything else can just compete for second place, but then that would probably just be taken by the Supermarine Spitfire.. so maybe start with 3rd place for the competition.. :D

Hmmm... I'll see your P-51D and raise you a Corsair!

f4u_corsair_750pix.jpg

Faster, greater rate of climb, more maneuverable, and more firepower than the Mustang.
Built like a tank.

About the only areas the Mustang excelled over the Corsair were endurance and visibility.

Oh, and it could operate from a carrier!

De Havilland Mosquito:

Served from 1941 on.

4 20mm Cannon, 4 .303 Brownings (fighter version)

Twin engine survivability is countered with the fact that it is made completely of wood - can't be good if it catches fire.

Versatile:
The Mosquito was originally supposed to be a lightly armed "fast bomber". It eventually was used for that purpose as well as fighter/attack, night fighter, photo recon, maritime patrols and strike (torpedos on U-boats), and pathfinder aircraft.

They look cool too...and were very, very fast. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you the De Havilland Mosquito:

Mosquito.jpg

I know I'll catch some slack for this choice, which is hunky dory, but:

ov10_kp.jpg

This isn't even a fair competition..

P51-D

Speaks for itself.. the most B.A. plane of all time hands down!:bandit:

everything else can just compete for second place, but then that would probably just be taken by the Spitfire.. so maybe start with 3rd place for the competition.. :D

IMHO, the F4U edges out the P-51 mainly due to its ability to absorb battle damage. The two planes are closely matched in a fight, but one could take more punishment.

The liquid cooled Merlin was much more vulnerable to enemy fire, one hole in the radiator or water jacket and the engine was on borrowed time. The air cooled R-2800 on the F4U could take much more fire and still bring the pilot home. I have seen pictures of engines running with 3 cylinders blown off by 20MM fire.

About the only areas the Mustang excelled over the Corsair were endurance and visibility.
and High altitude performance, better controlability, FAR better looks and sound;)

The Corsair is U-G-L-Y haha

and High altitude performance, better controlability, FAR better looks and sound;)

Highly subjective :D I prefer the looks of the gull wing and the sound of the R-2800!

As far as controlability, that is also debateable. Seems from those that flew both airplanes, both the Corsair and the Mustang had bad tempers at low airspeed, high power settings (seems the Mustang was actually the worst). Also, even though it tried to roll drastically during a stall, the Corsair was better as it gave more "warning".

I've always thought that this one was a cool little new prop military plane. Plus, it kind of looks mean. Embraer 314 Super Tucano
EMB_314_2.jpg

Back