USAir 1549 Tapes Released

It instills alot of confidence in the investigation when they manage to label the wrong flight number on the NY Tracon file.

It instills alot of confidence in the investigation when they manage to label the wrong flight number on the NY Tracon file.

I was wondering about that too, kept calling them 1529. Heat of the moment and all I guess, but wouldn't the Departure Control guy have them on his radar as 1549? That controller was pretty calm but he didn't have the ice water in the veins that Sully had!

Dude probably called ATC in between sips of his coffee. There's your Balls of Steel award winner for '09, and likely for this entire decade.

I was wondering about that too, kept calling them 1529. Heat of the moment and all I guess, but wouldn't the Departure Control guy have them on his radar as 1549? That controller was pretty calm but he didn't have the ice water in the veins that Sully had!

I can see that. But on the website when you click on the file, the HTML link says AWE1546.

The CVR: Sully ordering Domino's Pizza for delivery, FA to Sully - "Captain do you really think this is the time to be getting a manicure?", sounds of clicking as Sully does a little buying and selling at Etrade on his blackberry...

As you see the Etrade baby in the background talking about how well U.S. Airways stock is going to be doing this week.

wouldn't stock go down since they lost a major asset i.e. an airplane? Actually it spiked up on the day after but has gone down since.

I'm surprised at the controllers calm too, imagine seeing a plane going down and loosing radar contact, that's gotta up the pucker factor. But it sounded like the had plenty of landing options for him, which I guess is the only good thing about flying around NYC.

Cool to listen too.

Its amazing how cool the controllers stay even when they kinda know what just happened.

A conversation had between two pilots while walking to their gate.

FO "Did you hear that clanking when that US Air pilot walked by?"

CA "Yeah, that was sully. I hear there made of brass."

FO "Wow, brass hey?"

CA "Yup. I'd love to hate being in his position. Had a real problem and turned it into a great day."

Sully "Those guys have no idea."

Back