USAir 1549 Tapes Released

One factor to consider if they had landed was that they had no reverse thrust.

Reverse thrust isn't factored into the landing distance figures anyway, so it wouldn't matter. Now, without engines, you don't have spoilers because you don't have hydraulics to lift them, nor do you have electric for anti-skid brake system, so that DOES make a difference.

:yup:

That was tremendous!!! Get a video camera and a couple really good amateur actors and you will have the you tube video of the year---

:yup:

Plus if you hear the tapes, the TEB tower guy was totally cool with an airbus landing there.

The 100,000 lb limit is a political thing by the way. Big planes have landed there in the past.

Is it just me, or did i hear the FO go "IDIOT!" after one of the repeated offers of landing at LGA?

Yes, I heard that.

I listened to it about 20 times in a row, just that few seconds, and it sounds something like this:

CA: ...can't reach any runway, what's over to our right...

While at the exact same time:

FO: ...idiot...tell him..[unintelligible]

Reverse thrust isn't factored into the landing distance figures anyway, so it wouldn't matter. Now, without engines, you don't have spoilers because you don't have hydraulics to lift them, nor do you have electric for anti-skid brake system, so that DOES make a difference.

Wouldn't the RAT still provide enough power?

Oh ok, I didn't know that.

Back