ID badge no longer gets you through security?

E_Dawg

So I heard that in the next couple days, the TSA will no longer allow non-uniformed crewmembers through with only an ID badge.

A boarding pass and/or a uniform will be required according to this person.

Seeing that the TSA changes things so quickly and with little or no warning or dissemination of information... can anybody confirm/deny?

The worst part is, someone actually gets paid a salary to sit around and come up with stupid rules like this!

It seems to differ airport to airport. If I'm at an unfamiliar airport, I always allow extra time and get a gate pass from the landside ticket counter just in case.

Best way to get a quick and accurate answer would be to Call your airlines Jumpseat Coordinator. They should be able to give you an answer and look up the info if they dont know if off hand.

I don't see the problem. If you're working, you're in uniform. If you're jumpseating, deadheading, etc, get a ticket before security.

I don't see the problem. If you're working, you're in uniform. If you're jumpseating, deadheading, etc, get a ticket before security.

That's nice in theory, but a lot of ticket counter computers are not set up to do CASS authorization. Also, for some airlines (cough... Delta... cough cough in SFO) if they don't cross utilize the ticket counter and gate agents, most ticket counter agents won't know the correct entry to run an authorization. Not to mention, I really don't want to stand in line for 30 minutes out front just to get a boarding pass so I can go check in again and hope for a seat at the gate.

The previous TSA policy was that if your airline served that terminal an ID was all you needed to get through. Several places (notably for me anyways, Vegas and Newark) pretty much ignored this policy since it's inception. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

Wow I didn't realize that. Well, I don't need to waste (too much) time complaining so I'll just leave it by saying that's total crap.

Would you like to voluntarily wait in the ticket counter line for 45 minutes or more to obtain your standby boarding pass? For commuters like me, this would be hell, especially if we are running late on an inbound flight when the only flight back home that night leaves 45 minutes the next terminal over, requiring a re-entrance through security.

Would you like to voluntarily wait in the ticket counter line for 45 minutes or more to obtain your standby boarding pass? For commuters like me, this would be hell, especially if we are running late on an inbound flight when the only flight back home that night leaves 45 minutes the next terminal over, requiring a re-entrance through security.

Exactly...

That doesn't make a lot of sense since there are numerous employees who work behind security that don't wear uniforms to work.

Personally, I think the creation of the TSA didn't make us more safe. There's less oversight and more of a chance that they aren't effective. Your fellow passengers are better security than the people that think up these hair-brained schemes. Hey I've got an idea! Instead of having pilots fly planes, why don't we hire a bunch of management types to make our decisions for us! I know I know that's a stretch :)

Another gem from the TSA.

I feel for the commuters if any of this becomes the gospel.

Already have enough fast food direct to security guard egotistical lunatics wearing the blue pseudo-cop uniform (can I say pseudo cop?) giving flight crews and the flying public enough headaches.

We don't need another one.

Another gem from the TSA.

I feel for the commuters if any of this becomes the gospel.

Already have enough fast food direct to security guard egotistical lunatics wearing the blue pseudo-cop uniform (can I say pseudo cop?) giving flight crews and the flying public enough headaches.

We don't need another one.
And worse thing is, TSA starting pay is higher than 2nd year FO pay! Remember the study showing that since TSA's inception, they have not stopped any terrorist act.

I know Southwest at PHL has you go to the gate to JS, the ticket counter does not do JS passes.
JFK does not have SIDA badges.
So, how do you get to the crew lounge if you are heading into work and are not wearing a uniform?

Still watching the news waiting for that story of the TSA agent pulling his badge on someone in the hood and getting gunned down.....just a matter o' time

Arent you wearing your uniform?

Yeah, I don't know about you, but if I have half a second the monkey suit is coming off. For me, that's a higher priority than food.

Well if you got through security and accidentally spilled coffee on your shirt, you would have to change out of it and into your street clothes... ;)

Hypothetically speaking of course.

hehe, this policy makes perfect sense! Bad guys might be faking ID's so we have knock it up a notch. I know, we'll make it something they can't fake or buy out of a pilot supply shop, a uniform! Yeah, if the guy faked a passable ID to get through security he couldn't possibly be able to fake a uniform! yeah...:crazy::sarcasm:

Back