ID badge no longer gets you through security?

Yeah, they came up with a rule that you have to HAND the ID to the TSA goon. I've got something I'd LOVE to hand those blueshirted Nazi wannabes.

Different airports enforce it as far as I could tell, though at the same time I never used a holder so it wasn't an issue for me.

Did you hear why that one happened? Turns out some genius FO based out of Cleveland (so you know it's one of four airlines) decided to make a high quality photocopy of his original ID badge, put it in a holder and got away with getting through security with it for a month before somebody caught it.

Or at least that's the story I got.

You're exactly right, Train. Each individual TSA airport Kahuna has the right and authority to interpret the rules as they see fit.

As for my original post... I can now confirm that you do need a boarding pass to get through security in FAT.

Your crew ID badge, obtained through extensive interviewing, fingerprinting, drug testing, and a 10yr background check? Keep it in your pocket, folks!
It's the home-printed boarding pass on cheap paper that'll get you through.

Yet another example of a crap city taking itself way too seriously. Security there is the most overzealous of any airport I've ever been to. Besides Frankfurt (maybe.)

:)

Yeah but I can take the guys in Frankfurt seriously. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not going to talk back to anybody carying a UMP-45, no matter how stupid I might think their security procedures are!

That, and they actually have airplanes that can hold more than 30 to 50 people at a time.

I swear we have like one TSA agent per passenger in FAT.

Really, I'm totally 100% resigned to the fact that the TSA will do whatever they want whenever they want, will implement whatever counter-productive procedures they can come up with, and will give zero notice to us pilots beforehand.

The only reason I'm even pissed about this is it's gonna involve a trip to Costco for another $40 print cartridge.

:)

How is Fresno taking itself too seriously?

Is the City really telling the TSA how to run the show? If it comes to that, perhaps the city needs to put their own security details in front of the x-ray machines.

As much as I can not stand the TSA, if a city sees it fit to try to dictate to a Federal agency how to run it's show, the TSA needs to close up their local shop and tell the city to deal with it. "It" being airport terminal security.

Based on this thread, it sounds like it's up to the individual airport to determine which policies to implement.

Not all airports require you to have a boarding pass to go through security outside of uniform. Crew ID badges still suffice in most places.

I know that it is up to local airport authorities on whether or not dutying in crews must go through security or not. . .but as far as how the TSA operates. . .YGTBSM.

Of course my suggestions are pipe dreams.

Does TSA have specifics on what constitutes a flight crew member uniform? Has this ever been challenged?

I mean the 100 or so carriers have differences in their crew uniforms. Some wear white pilot shirts, some blue, some brown, some none. Some wear gold epaulettes, some silver, etc. Some wear black pants, some blue, some brown, some jeans, etc.

So can a TSA agent properly identify a crew member’s uniform specific to their company ID badge? Do you think a TSA agent would know the difference between a person walking through with a Continental ID badge wearing an American Airlines uniform or a uniform bought at a pilot shop online? If not then this is all senseless of whether or not you need a uniform to pass through security?

Does the guy who gets permission from ATC to land his Cessna at a Class B or C airport and pull up to the ramp have a uniform? Does he even have an ID badge?

When I was at my cargo job a few years ago, I was able to get a SIDA badge after about a 10min visit to the airport office. It consisted of 'yup, I work here'.. and I was out the door with my new badge. This badge would allow me to not only avoid the terminal in it's entirety but actually drive my car up to the airplane, and leave it parked there overnight while I was gone.

The irony of it was, our ramp was right next to the airline ramp. So while I was able to drive my CAR up to the airplane, they had to do the usual dance with the TSA. And we were flying the exact same kind of airplane.

Didn't realize it at the time, but damn I had it good :)

How about the absurd notion, that a crew member can fly an airplane into EWR, but if he wants to turn around and deadhead home on it, technically, due to his change in position etc, he must "exit" the secure area to be re screened, before boarding...wtf?!?

TSA Functions on the Theory that A visible Security Presence = Deterrence, and that works by creating a level of discomfort, or unease in thoes who are trying to do something illegal. To further reduce standardization between airports, and even checkpoints within a station makes it harder to nail down a certain routine, or weakness. A routine done the same way at every airport would make planning a diversion/loop hole/ exploit easy. Last minute "changes" to policy also make planning difficult. The reality is that getting past TSA is easy - It just cannot seem so. I doubt they are intentionaly implementing this as a strategy... But their own foolishness actually make sense from a security and safety planning standpoint.

Does TSA have specifics on what constitutes a flight crew member uniform? Has this ever been challenged?

I mean the 100 or so carriers have differences in their crew uniforms. Some wear white pilot shirts, some blue, some brown, some none. Some wear gold epaulettes, some silver, etc. Some wear black pants, some blue, some brown, some jeans, etc.

So can a TSA agent properly identify a crew member’s uniform specific to their company ID badge? Do you think a TSA agent would know the difference between a person walking through with a Continental ID badge wearing an American Airlines uniform or a uniform bought at a pilot shop online? If not then this is all senseless of whether or not you need a uniform to pass through security?

Does the guy who gets permission from ATC to land his Cessna at a Class B or C airport and pull up to the ramp have a uniform? Does he even have an ID badge?

The TSA, I've found, doesn't have any idea what it's looking at.

I'd be going through security in SLC to commute to EWR in my uniform. I'd show them my badge and they'd say one of two things:

-Do you have an SLC badge?

Of course I don't have a SLC badge you dumb ####, we don't have a base here.

-Huh, ExpressJet...never heard of them, is this a real airline?

We've got 25 flights a day departing out of here AS DELTA CONNECTION! You should see us constantly.

I hate the TSA.

LOL! Try being from Kalitta.:D

Or Ameriflight. Our operations are larger than most airlines at most bases that we operate in and out of and TSA still doesn't know who we are. Heck we're not even on the list to get through TSA without a security document in OAK.....buuutttt I can get through TSA easily without a security document in SFO where we never operate out of.:confused:

Or Ameriflight. Our operations are larger than most airlines at most bases that we operate in and out of and TSA still doesn't know who we are. Heck we're not even on the list to get through TSA without a security document in OAK.....buuutttt I can get through TSA easily without a security document in SFO where we never operate out of.:confused:

True dat dude. I jumped out of LAX instead of Burbank once to get out to Nashville to hang with Lloyd and Lindsey. I go in uniform, and hand the security document to the TSA guy and he says, "What's this?"

But in Burbank? NOOOOOOOO, had to have a security document!!!!!!!!!! I had a freakin' SIDA badge for Burbank, but I had to have a security document. Amazing.

Yeah but then the problem you run into with that is when you get one of those nifty passes with the Super Sexy Strip Search on it. The idea of having to have anything other than my crew ID to get through any security line is ridiculous. What happened to that amendment to the AOSSPs from a year or two that siad an employee of any carrier with an approved security program is allowed to pass through with just his/her badge? I know that amendment exists because I've seen/read it.

Where can I find this document... I would love to carry a copy around with me.... I had to learn the TSA in my home airport about not needing a boarding pass....

Back