Dress for checkrides...

PGT

Just wondering, various opinions, casual but not sloppy or formal (tie and dress pants).

For my private I just wore jeans and a nice polo but I think from now I will wear dress formally.

Just wondering, various opinions, casual but not sloppy or formal (tie and dress pants).

For my private I just wore jeans and a nice polo but I think from now I will wear dress formally.

I've worn business attire for every checkride (and I don't know if it was largely pointless, I was at ERAU).... but when I did my SIC ride at 9E I wore a suit. I guess I'm a tool bag lol.:banghead:

Comfortable clothes that don't make you look like an idiot.

All my rides, except for CFI/CFII/soon-to-be MEI, I've worn t-shirt and shorts, im not trying to impress anyone. On the instructor rides, i am trying to impress; wore what stomp16 wore

Private- Jeans + Polo

Instrument - Jeans + Polo + Winter Jacket

Commercial- Khaki's + Polo

CFI Initial- Suit minus the jacket

ATP - I think I was wearing a zoo york t shirt and ripped jeans. (FSI) After a week straight of 14 hour days I just didnt give a crap what i was wearing.

I wore a shirt, slacks and ties to all of mine, except my instructor add-ons, since I did those in between lessons and I wore my work uniform. I like to look like a professional for checkrides.

As long as you're not wearing something uncomfortable or restrictive; looking good can only help your cause. Like it or not people do judge you based on your apperance so why not try to make a good impression.

Polo shirt and slacks are as relaxed as I'd go.

They can't fail you because you wore jeans and an AC/DC t-shirt.

Sure, but they can overlook a mistake that would otherwise fail you. Whether it is fair or not, judgements based on your appearance do happen. Although I am not one to talk right now...

n783337931_1806653_9968.jpg

I would wear this, and when he walks in the door, I would say..."go ahead and bring it punk!!!"

Attachments

• bustedtees.f101a36b880467e9d55b781d29cebb64.jpg
    bustedtees.f101a36b880467e9d55b781d29cebb64.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 144
I remember my private ride I wore a button up and tie. The firs thing the DPE asked "Do you have a undershirt on?....ya.....take the shirt and tie off then"

I think a polo shirt and nice jeans (not ripped up Abercrombie jeans) is great checkride attire.

Most DPE's dont care how you dress, but you might run into one that does. Better safe than sorry....

This subject never ceases to amaze me. It's almost like DPE's have gained this mythic standing in aviation. These people are private contractors. They are there to judge that you have knowledge and technical proficiency for what you're doing. You pay them cash to do this. You hire them. In a lot of places theres more than one to choose from so you'll notice these guys advertising in FBO's, trying to network with CFI's for their business and doing what they can to keep their pass rate as high as possible. So, therefore, when it comes to dress dress how you want but please but keep in mind what you're doing. Closed toe shoes, jeans or shorts depending on temp. and tuck your shirt in. No stains, no rips. Comb your hair and brush your teeth.

This subject never ceases to amaze me. It's almost like DPE's have gained this mythic standing in aviation. These people are private contractors. They are there to judge that you have knowledge and technical proficiency for what you're doing. You pay them cash to do this. You hire them. In a lot of places theres more than one to choose from so you'll notice these guys advertising in FBO's, trying to network with CFI's for their business and doing what they can to keep their pass rate as high as possible. So, therefore, when it comes to dress dress how you want but please but keep in mind what you're doing. Closed toe shoes, jeans or shorts depending on temp. and tuck your shirt in. No stains, no rips. Comb your hair and brush your teeth.

Bingo

That is true, you are the customer and are hiring them for a service: their evaluation of your knowlege and skills. But they still have great discretion in that evaluation.
when I was instructing there were all of 2 DPEs to choose from and, as they shouldn't, they didn't seem to care about their pass rate.

Back