Failed MMPI at PEPC?

I am from Pubnat 1 and I went to Chicago PEPC which was in August, and I had the same situation happen to me. Let me start off with the good news, I am cleared medically now. The flight surgeon said I had no pschological diagnoses and my personality matched to become an air traffic controller. The bad news is I just got cleared on Nov. 12, so expect to wait the full 10-12 weeks. If I didn't call them, about twice a week I probably would have had to wait any longer. Also i didn't wait for the email I was jut randomly calling to check to see if my medical was cleared, and the told me I had to take the full length test. So that has added some time for you to get your clearance.

I originally did not pass the text, because I had to many positive answers, meaning that it seemed like I was trying to make myself look good. I was completely honest on the first time, but the problem was I over analyzed a lot of questions. For instance, "Have you ever lied?". I chose no, because I figured they already know everyone has lied before in there lifetime, so I took it as if they were asking if I had lied about anything that pertained to working. I haven't lied about anything at work so I said no.

Let me know if you have more questions about the process Joe. I see you are from Chicago, so you probably will wind up goin to the same location that I had my evaluation.

i appreciate the help. i think i probably had the same problem as you... i felt i read into too many of them and related them to on the job as well. i guess i'll take my lumps and keep going.

... Also i didn't wait for the email I was jut randomly calling to check to see if my medical was cleared, and the told me I had to take the full length test. So that has added some time for you to get your clearance.

Does anyone know what number to call to check on our medicals?

Guess what... I also failed the MMPI. Just got the call a little while ago.

What is it with Chicagoland that we can't clear this thing? Something in our water? Maybe it's got something to do with our politics and elected officials. I don't know.

While disappointing, and it's kind of a pain to have to go through with these additional steps, I'm not too down about it. For starters, I believe I have the exact same problem THenne has... Being honest yet too good by over analyzing the test through an overly professional eye. That, and the occasional contradiction, yet equally truthful (I don't get embarrassed easily, true, case in point, look at what I'm doing here, talking about failing a test that's supposedly impossible to fail; I am usually comfortable talking about sex, false, this is where I draw the "too much information" line, yet it's supposed to suppliment the question about embarrassing easily.)

Guess what... I also failed the MMPI. Just got the call a little while ago.

What is it with Chicagoland that we can't clear this thing? Something in our water? Maybe it's got something to do with our politics and elected officials. I don't know.

While disappointing, and it's kind of a pain to have to go through with these additional steps, I'm not too down about it. For starters, I believe I have the exact same problem THenne has... Being honest yet too good by over analyzing the test. That, and the occasional contradiction, yet equally truthful (I don't get embarrassed easily, true, case in point, look at what I'm doing here, talking about failing a test that's supposedly impossible to fail; I am usually comfortable talking about sex, false, this is where I draw the "too much information" line, yet it's supposed to suppliment the question about embarrassing easily.)

Shiat I'm in Chicagoland too...... I hope my phone doesn't ring....
I wonder if this is being done by region right now....

Thenne, do you have a FOL yet?

No I don't have my final letter yet, but I am completely cleared. The class dates for ZAU are backed up, so I have to wait. I should be getting my class date soon though, I have a pretty good inside scoop with everything that happens at ZAU.

well if it eases anyones mind I just found out i passed the mmpi. phew! i called medical and they were able to help me out. for those of you (like me) who were/are feverishly biting their nails dreading every email that comes to your inbox, you might save yourself some grief and go ahead and call. couldn't hurt.

well if it eases anyones mind I just found out i passed the mmpi. phew! i called medical and they were able to help me out. for those of you (like me) who were/are feverishly biting their nails dreading every email that comes to your inbox, you might save yourself some grief and go ahead and call. couldn't hurt.

called my region and the secretary sent me directly to someones voice mail right when I said I was an air traffic control applicant...

I think I will just wait this out....:)

No I don't have my final letter yet, but I am completely cleared. The class dates for ZAU are backed up, so I have to wait. I should be getting my class date soon though, I have a pretty good inside scoop with everything that happens at ZAU.

Could you please detail what you did on your re-eval? Did you take the MMPI again? Were you briefed on what was wrong with your original results beforehand? What was the discussion with the Flight Surgeon like? What did you talk about?

Thanks

OhioAviator... can you be more specific on who you called to get your MMPI info? Was it your HR rep or a medical office somewhere? If you could provide a number that would be great. Thanks.

call who? the HR rep? i emailed mine twice...no response...

call who? the HR rep? i emailed mine twice...no response...

This information is on the first page towards the bottom. It depends on what region you're placed in. Follow the link that's posted earlier in the thread

Post #23.

Could you please detail what you did on your re-eval? Did you take the MMPI again? Were you briefed on what was wrong with your original results beforehand? What was the discussion with the Flight Surgeon like? What did you talk about?

Thanks

First the Aerospace Medicine sets you up with an appointment to see a psychiatrist, that is not affiliated with the FAA at all. I think the FAA just contracts out to certain psychiatrist offices. Once the appointment is set up the psychiatrist office calls you to set up an actual the date and time that is good for you.

Then at the appointment you talk to the psychiatrist for about an hour. They ask you simple questions about your life, just to see if you are a high stressor and to see what your personality is like. After the talk you take the full length MMPI-2, which takes a lot longer then the short version. After that test, they give you another test with about 200 questions. And if you think the MMPI-2 was off the wall questions, then this one is off the ceiling. This test asks a lot of crazy questions, to be honest it kind of offended me. It made me feel like they thought I had a problem for real.

Once your done with that you are free to leave, and the waiting starts all over again. It took me over two months after I took the test to finally find out that I was cleared. It's a long and nerve wrecking process. The psychiatrist has to send the test results in, and their response of your evaluation. Once the FAA receives this, they send it to Washington, D.C. for the head psychiatrist to make a recommendation. Then it goes back to the Flight Surgeon in your region, and they make the final decision if you are clear or not.

That's a lot of great info, thanks for your time.

One last question. Was any of this at your expense? If so, how much?

Back