What's so great about flying freight?

Oops, forgot about that! My bad. And, I know you're not a misogynist. I'm even more impressed that you spelled it correctly!

What is great?

How about the fact that there was/are bars that were around certain airports that ran/run happy hour at 6am for freight dawgs getting off their runs. At least that is what I have heard from legend passed down from freight dawg to freight puppy.

I might have to catch you while you are down.....Chasing the kids was it?:banghead:

Yup, playing tag with a buddies' 8-year-old. It was the most expensive game of tag in history.

Crutches: $100
3 months lost wages: $6,000
Surgery to repair a ruptured Achilles: $8,000
Feeling like an 8-year-old again: Priceless

How about the hours? Are there any freight jobs that start around 6 or 7 am? I don't know if I can do the 11pm-7am shift.

FLX has mostly day flgihts (although not all). I think some of the other smaller-aircraft check haulers do too (Ram, for example). Don't know about airnet or amflight, but I'd guess they have at least a few. When you hit the "big leagues", I know senior guys at UPS can bid all day trips, but I imagine it takes a while to get there.

While they exist, if you fly freight, odds are you're going to wind up flying a large number of hours at night sooner or later. It's not that bad once you get used to it, although I confess popping a beer at 6am still feels kind of shameful. Not so shameful that I don't do it, mind you.

although I confess popping a beer at 6am still feels kind of shameful. Not so shameful that I don't do it, mind you.

That reminds me we had a 99 newbie that just finished his paper work, crack open a beer still in dispatch and in uniform one night. I guess he thought he was off duty and ok. That poor guy didn't last long.

Runs vary at AMF base to base. Most UPS runs show at 5am off by 8am back to the airport at 5pm and off by 7:59pm and the slack time between is up to you.

How about the hours? Are there any freight jobs that start around 6 or 7 am? I don't know if I can do the 11pm-7am shift.

Almost all of our runs are day runs. Typically wheels up at 0630 and at the outstation by 0900. Finish up at base by 2000 or so. It's a long day but at least it's a day.

The sits between 0900 and 1800 or so are the worst bits. Pretty boring although the time is your own so if you want to do something during the day you can.

That reminds me we had a 99 newbie that just finished his paper work, crack open a beer still in dispatch and in uniform one night. I guess he thought he was off duty and ok. That poor guy didn't last long.

Do you think it's strange to drink beer out of a champagne glass?

WTF? He could have at least waited until he got to his car/truck/bike/bikecycle/ground transportation...:sarcasm:

-mini

Back