What's so great about flying freight?

You guys sure sent that thing to the boneyard in style. When I retire I hope I get as nice a send off. :)

And I still owe you beers. Don't worry, haven't forgotten.

I might have to catch you while you are down.....Chasing the kids was it?:banghead:

Yeah I'd say that pic would definitely qualify as non-crew-lounge-worthy. Now of course I'm talking 121.... you freight dawgs might have different standards for your crew lounges....

I don't know why a truck stop comes to mind....:D

A couple perks about my freight job.

-No TSA or security checks
-I wear blue jeans and a company hoodie to work
-I get to make all the decisions about almost everything.
-I go to the same airports and same FBOs every night. I know all the linemen by name and they know me and my fuel order. Also, The controllers recognize your callsign and know what your tendencies are and what you are capable of doing.
-You can really make your aircraft perform when you aren't concerned with passenger comfort.

That's just a few. But there is a lot of satisfaction operating single pilot, and being in charge of just about everything that goes on regarding your route. It's one of those things you really have to experience to appreciate.

:yeahthat:

Except for this one "-No TSA"

Another thing to enjoy...

I thought I knew everything after being an instructor for 2 yrs.

I learned more in 1 month flying freight (which is REAL flying), compared to 2yrs of instructing).

Yeah, you stay current with th part 61 and 91 regs instructing, but if you don't try freight, you'll never feel the real type of flying. (Just my opinion).

:nana2:

A couple perks about my freight job.

-No TSA or security checks
-I wear blue jeans and a company hoodie to work
-I get to make all the decisions about almost everything.
-I go to the same airports and same FBOs every night. I know all the linemen by name and they know me and my fuel order. Also, The controllers recognize your callsign and know what your tendencies are and what you are capable of doing.
-You can really make your aircraft perform when you aren't concerned with passenger comfort.

That's just a few. But there is a lot of satisfaction operating single pilot, and being in charge of just about everything that goes on regarding your route. It's one of those things you really have to experience to appreciate.
All but going to the same airports, same FBOs, every night. That drives me crazy. Talking to the same controllers. Getting the same clearance.

It's like Freight Dog Groundhog Day...

-mini

*You are PIC and all alone with no SIC.- Nobody to remind you how to do or maintain situational awareness while on a DME arc looking to intercept a localizer bc.

*Boxes dont bitch or judge.

*I wear whatever I want.

*You are trying to make schedules which means a lot of pressure to get your stuff to the destination.- Hardcore WX flying at night with minimum legal fuel most of the time.

*Money is usually better than first year airline pilots.

*TONS of HAND FLYING!

*If you like a challenge and can come out successful it is very rewarding.

It is not always fun, but when you become a freight dawg you learn how to handle yourself in high workload enviornments with limited equipment. This sets the men apart from the 250 hour wonder regional FO's who have the captain there to babysit them in case the "F" up the auto pilot. The airlines are NOT neccessarily the most skilled or successful pilots.

*You are PIC and all alone with no SIC.- Nobody to remind you how to do or maintain situational awareness while on a DME arc looking to intercept a localizer bc.

*I wear whatever I want.

*You are trying to make schedules which means a lot of pressure to get your stuff to the destination.- Hardcore WX flying at night with minimum legal fuel most of the time.

*TONS of HAND FLYING!

It is not always fun, but when you become a freight dawg you learn how to handle yourself in high workload enviornments with limited equipment. This sets the men apart from the 250 hour wonder regional FO's who have the captain there to babysit them in case the "F" up the auto pilot. The airlines are NOT neccessarily the most skilled or successful pilots.

But...but...that's heresy:sarcasm:

*I wear whatever I want.

*TONS of HAND FLYING!

You forgot.....

*You are flying a death trap that has more character than anything you will fly later in your career.

*No drama if somthing gets messed up out of your control. ie bitching pax.

*No FA whining about how awful their job is and what a bitch they work with on the last trip.

*Most importantly NO TSA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You forgot.....

*You are flying a death trap that has more character than anything you will fly later in your career.

*No drama if somthing gets messed up out of your control. ie bitching pax.

*No FA whining about how awful their job is and what a bitch they work with on the last trip.

*Most importantly NO TSA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm, Walter. You seem to always have such animosity towards FAs and pax. I'm very surprised you don't fly cargo. You might want to consider it. :)

Hmmm, Walter. You seem to always have such animosity towards FAs and pax. I'm very surprised you don't fly cargo. You might want to consider it. :)

I did for longer than most of the people who post in this section.
Sorry, but you don't here the pilots having a loud bitchfest in the crew room the like the FA's while people try and sleep in the quiet area.

AND isn't this the OOTSK forum? Isn't the title of the thread What's so great about flying freight?
So why are you posting here? Please don't respond becuase you are not a freight dog or a pilot for that matter and have NOTHING to contribute to this thread. I answered the posted question because I have 4,000 hrs in beat up old planes flying checks and john deere tractor parts.

Just like I was saying about FA's in my original post they need to shut there mouth sometimes. Case in point YOU!--->:)You might want to consider it.

Just like I was saying about FA's in my original post they need to shut there mouth sometimes. Case in point YOU!--->:)You might want to consider it.

They're some pretty tough ladies man, I'd certainly suggest being a little more 'honey' and a little less 'brimstone', especially in my virtual living room.

I enjoyed freight the most because I'm a selfish pilot. I fly for myself and don't have to worry about PAX comfort or anything else. Plus, at least with the smaller outfits, less political ######## to deal with. Plus risking your life for refrigerator parts and seat covers is soo...damn...fulfilling:D

=Jason-

Sorry, but you don't here the pilots having a loud bitchfest in the crew room the like the FA's while people try and sleep in the quiet area.

AND isn't this the OOTSK forum? Isn't the title of the thread What's so great about flying freight?
So why are you posting here? Please don't respond becuase you are not a freight dog or a pilot for that matter and have NOTHING to contribute to this thread. I answered the posted question because I have 4,000 hrs in beat up old planes flying checks and john deere tractor parts.

Why of course, master. Your wish is my command. Before I go though, just wanted to clear up two things----"hear" and "their."
I'm out!

Them are fighting words son. Why such anger and hostility? How many ex-wives are FA's? 2? 3????

Back