Anybody use simulators?

DSCN6445.jpg

Cue the scary music....this is the house of horrors! It's slightly more accurate than MSFS :p

If you want to see what the inside looks like go here and click on the experience sign. Once you get in there choose the simulator option. This was a promotion the company did to get interest in the new seats we are unveiling. Along with those, they had a drawing to fly one of the sims in HKG. Most are 777 clips but the Kai Tak is the -400. Pay no attention to the cue card reading attempts haha.

quite yer cryin'.....

There's no crying in -400 school, tears mess up the smoking jacket. Forget the type, you have to get issued your slippers and pipe first.

I thought -400 pilots couldn't cry because it'd make their mascara run.

I have no idea how soft I'll get on the -8. I heard the butlers are upgraded, and there'll be an onboard humidor. :crazy: Now if they'll just get started cutting metal, we'll be in business.

They are installing the -400/-8 convertible sim as we speak.

I love the fact that on this page, they show their project (which looks pretty decent by the way, then a photo of a 737NG flight deck that's captioned like this:
The long term goal is to produce something that looks (and works!) very much like this:...

The Flightdeck of a real Boeing 737NG

Trouble is, it's actually a photo of a sim!

I dunno, struck me as funny.

As a side note, for those that may be interested and have the requisite background CAE has been advertising for a sim tech in anchorage for quite sometime, I believe to work on the UPS MD-11 and I believe upcoming 747 sim in ANC.

I have no idea how soft I'll get on the -8. I heard the butlers are upgraded, and there'll be an onboard humidor. :crazy: Now if they'll just get started cutting metal, we'll be in business.

They are installing the -400/-8 convertible sim as we speak.

:yup: Based on flying the PMDG the 400 looks like an incredibly automated and easy airplane to fly. Now the Maddog, that thing has some funky quirks about it...

For you 400 guys

[YT]t4MGua2dkPM[/YT]

How in hell do you get all those add ons? Some of that stuff looks pretty damn real. I like that Mad Dog add on. How do I download that? Looks fun.

I really haven't messed with the MSFS9 in awhile since one of my old instructors began slapping Post Its on the instruments. :)

You have to buy them. I'll have to warn you, your computer has to be pretty up to date with good hardware to run these sophisticated add ons smoothly. Otherwise you'll be flying a bunch of screenshots if you know what i mean:D Oh and warning number two, this stuff is pretty expensive. The Maddog addon is $75 bucks. The PMDG 747 is similiarly priced. And that's just the airplanes. If you want your sim looking realistic like some of the screenshots and videos other users have posted you're looking at a lot of mula for scenery addons, weather addons, and other general enhancements.

I've seen alot of FS videos and screenshot recently. Time for a Flight Simulator sub-forum?:D

Saying you can land a 747¨in real life... Just cause you bought some fancy add on of it to your sim and ¨know how to handle it... Well..... Thats another story...
So What do you think......
I´ve seen this question pop-up in many forums with lost of interesting ideas about it.... So... Whats your answear?..

Maybe...
I was able to do it when I hopped in a United full motion Level D 747 sim back before I even had my PPL. Granted the first landing was really ugly! I bounced something like 100 feet and used every inch of a ~12,000 foot runway at KDEN. I would NOT have wanted to be on the plane for real. It was no where near a safe landing. (although everyone would have lived...)

After that however, I did a few touch and goes and full stops and had several very nice landings after that first one. (full motion sim so you can "feel" how your landing was)

Keep in mind everything was set up for me. All I had to do was operate flaps, gear, throttle, and fly it down to the runway in ideal weather conditions. But, I was able to land safely with only about 10 real flight hours in my logbook. All the others were in flight sim.

Great experience... I also safely flew a 767 down to minimums and landed at KSFO.

I don't think I could have done any of it as well as I did without flight sim.

So, under the right situation and conditions, I do think it is possible a flight sim pilot could "safely" land the plane for real.

Hey, that's not true! They learned from us ex-B757 guys to just wear "waterproof" mascara so it doesn't drip on to our tassled shoes!:p

Not that there's anything wrong with that.......;)

Sims: Great for instrument practice, after you've had some dual. People who try to figure it out on their own invariably chase the pitot/static instruments all over the place. Also great for stuff like VOR orientation, running flows and checklists in complex aircraft, and procedural practice.

:yup: Based on flying the PMDG the 400 looks like an incredibly automated and easy airplane to fly. Now the Maddog, that thing has some funky quirks about it...

I'm still at the schoolhouse, and have a total of 0 hours in the actual jet. I've got about 30 hours in our half-assed level C.

It is pretty easy once it's airborne (even without the A/P). I think the most challenge is close to the ground and ground ops, just due to the size of the plane. An acre is 281'X281'. The 747-400 is 232'X213'

Here's what I've seen so far:
- It is automated, but still has some "differences" from the last automated jet I flew. Some I like, some not.

- The engines are right powerful. If you taxi on 3 with one of the outboards shut down, it wants to head for the weeds. It tends to diverge the intended path quite quickly if an outboard craps out on T/O

I've seen alot of FS videos and screenshot recently. Time for a Flight Simulator sub-forum?:D[/quote]

:yeahthat:

I'm suprised a lot of you that are real life pilots are using FS9 and FSX. I have made the transition to X-plane and havent looked back. The flight dynamics are so much more realistic plus icing, spins, and many other things are modeled which are not in FS9. Also the weather engine does a lot better job of keeping you in IMC when you should be (FS9 and FSX did a poor job of this).

Since I am done with flying till Spring, I am using X-plane to keep current in the instrument section of my flying. I also use Vatsim which is an amazing tool for sims.

As long as someone who has 0 hours of instrument instruction isnt trying to learn/practice instrument flying then everything is fine. Once someone has the base for IFR it (the sim) can then be used to help.

I'm suprised a lot of you that are real life pilots are using FS9 and FSX. I have made the transition to X-plane and havent looked back. The flight dynamics are so much more realistic plus icing, spins, and many other things are modeled which are not in FS9. Also the weather engine does a lot better job of keeping you in IMC when you should be (FS9 and FSX did a poor job of this).

Icing, spins, and better flight dynamics are all available, you just have to download or buy 3rd party addons.

http://www.hifisim.com/asx.php

Since I am done with flying till Spring, I am using X-plane to keep current in the instrument section of my flying. I also use Vatsim which is an amazing tool for sims.

As long as someone who has 0 hours of instrument instruction isnt trying to learn/practice instrument flying then everything is fine. Once someone has the base for IFR it (the sim) can then be used to help.

Xplane is a lot better for flight dynamics, but I'd rather learn flight dynamics in the real plane. As far as simulating complex airliners and airport sceneries, nothing touches FS.

I'm still at the schoolhouse, and have a total of 0 hours in the actual jet. I've got about 30 hours in our half-assed level C.

It is pretty easy once it's airborne (even without the A/P). I think the most challenge is close to the ground and ground ops, just due to the size of the plane. An acre is 281'X281'. The 747-400 is 232'X213'

Here's what I've seen so far:
- It is automated, but still has some "differences" from the last automated jet I flew. Some I like, some not.

- The engines are right powerful. If you taxi on 3 with one of the outboards shut down, it wants to head for the weeds. It tends to diverge the intended path quite quickly if an outboard craps out on T/O

If you are going to shut down any just do 2 or 3. It is better for controlability and systems wise you don't need the ADPs for brakes or NW Steering that way.

I think our -8 sim will be only for the -8. I was under the impression that the cockpits would be different enough that we couldn't swing one sim.

Anyone here know if there is a good ERJ-170 for flight simulator? I've been messing around with my pc sim while on furlough, but would be cool to have the 170.

Back