Skywest likely to furlough

mrivc211

Sapa president sent out a letter stating were safe for now but by spring if things don't improve we will not keep staffing levels the way they are. Boys this is coming whether you want to admit it or not. If the strongest financial regional carrier is throwing the f word around you know it's bad. My guess is 250ish pilots. It's not accidental that most 1 year fo's are going to be hitting the 2nd year pay mark in the spring. Scary time folks.

Sapa president sent out a letter stating were safe for now but by spring if things don't improve we will not keep staffing levels the way they are. Boys this is coming whether you want to admit it or not. If the strongest financial regional carrier is throwing the f word around you know it's bad. My guess is 250ish pilots. It's not accidental that most 1 year fo's are going to be hitting the 2nd year pay mark in the spring. Scary time folks.

Can you quote the letter?

Plan and expect the worst, and rejoice when it doesn't happen.

No one is safe...ever.

Also, part of me wonders if PBS isn't somewhat responsible for reducing jobs and thus QOL when compared to a company that doesn't have PBS.

Just a thought.

PBS actually improves efficiency and saves the company money, which is what's needed in this environment.

PBS actually improves efficiency and saves the company money, which is what's needed in this environment.

Uh huh...

I'm not so clueless to think that my company is only concerned with being efficient when they don't even do the marketing of schedules. Rather, PBS is ultimately view by me and others as a tool to reduction the number of required crewmembers and essentially it's a furlough tool.

Sorry, not going to buy the single argument regarding efficiency. Not in this economy. People need jobs, good paying jobs.

I'm not going to blame labor for managements inability to appropriately sell their product.

Anyway, on a treo otherwise I'd explain my position a little bit more and perhaps with easier to understand word usage.

I think what Josh means is that PBS improves efficiency to the point where the company doesn't need as many pilots. Maybe 250 fewer. That would definitely save the company money.

I think what Josh means is that PBS improves efficiency to the point where the company doesn't need as many pilots. Maybe 250 fewer. That would definitely save the company money.

It also depends on how much control the union has over the end result. At the little carrier I work for, DALPA has final say over all runs. Only when our QCers are satisfied that contractual and QOL issues are resolved can the company post the run. Could the company operate with fewer pilots if they had carte blanche? They sure would like to. Guess I'm getting my 1.95% worth.

PBS with oversight and quality control by line pilots is a fantastic tool.

Uh huh...

I'm not so clueless to think that my company is only concerned with being efficient when they don't even do the marketing of schedules. Rather, PBS is ultimately view by me and others as a tool to reduction the number of required crewmembers and essentially it's a furlough tool.

Sorry, not going to buy the single argument regarding efficiency. Not in this economy. People need jobs, good paying jobs.

I'm not going to blame labor for managements inability to appropriately sell their product.

Anyway, on a treo otherwise I'd explain my position a little bit more and perhaps with easier to understand word usage.

That would easily be revealed by the quality of the PBS schedules with 250 pilots on the street.

Furloughs are a fact of life in the airline business. You know that coming in. No crying when it happens.

Couldn't have said it any better.

But, my point was to emphasize the fact that the PBS cheerleaders will now have to deal with the insane fact that it will (has) sent people to the street.

To a certain regard it is the present day nemesis to crew complement and maintaining airline pilot jobs.

Just say no.

;)

I won't say no to PBS...it works pretty darn good over here with teams of oversight from the pilots, the union and the company. If the pilot group/union thinks it needs to be tweaked, it gets tweaked. Works for some, may not work for others.

PBS sucks the life out of your QoL here since we have little to no oversight. If anyone is looking at PBS for their company, INSIST on some sort of oversight. To my knowledge, we have two pilots from the union run solutions, but they have very, very little say so in the algorithms, minimum line builds, maximum line builds, etc.

Seriously, have your reps talk to the Southernjets reps and see how they do it.

Off the bat, two guys aren't nearly enough.

I was awarded 19 days off in December. Xmas and new years eve off. 82 hours credit. PBS seems to be working pretty well for me. I bid 82 out of 225.

Back