Skywest likely to furlough

I dunno, you can really take whatever you choose from that single short paragraph that addresses it. I'm by no means an eternal optimist, but I really didn't read in that their 'likely' to furlough by spring.

Now if you're basing it on the reality that UAL can't seem to get it together no matter what they do... and DAL is shying away from the regional market as much as they can... then email or not, it doesn't look good for 2009. At all :(

Now it WOULD be nice if they offer a meaningful LOA program along with time off without pay in the meantime. I've tried desperately over the last few months to get some days off without pay - Only to be denied and have to sit reserve without being called as usual.

Good luck to the Skywest pilots.

Everybody's got their take on who's the best and whatnot in the regional world, but let's face the facts- furloughs mean pilots on the streets, and that's never a good thing.

Look for outside-the-box ideas to get around this. ALPA brought that idea to Eagle, and they worked it out so we didn't put anybody on the street involuntarily.

I think this is what he was referring to. Not sure what to make of this:

"5)SkyWest is still not planning on furloughing pilots in the near future.
Although it is getting tougher to justify our current staffing, there still may
be a need to hold onto everybody. We are still awaiting the flight
schedules for this spring that will really set the tone for the year of 2009.
NOTE: The current company policy does not apply to crewmembers.

6) SAPA is working with SkyWest to try and implement part time lines for
pilots. It looks like it will be similar to the inflights side of the house. It will
not be available for the January bid, but with some work, hopefully for
February."

Unless some new flying is in the pipeline, I would imagine we are overstaffed about 150-200. The bean counters then need to figure how much the retraining costs would be to furlough that few of people.

I would guess that management is keeping a close watch on Mesa's situation. If nothing happens with new flying in the first couple months of 09, I would expect us to furlough. Actually, I'd hope that we'd have a meaningful LOA program first.

I would guess that management is keeping a close watch on Mesa's situation. If nothing happens with new flying in the first couple months of 09, I would expect us to furlough. Actually, I'd hope that we'd have a meaningful LOA program first.

If Mesa goes under, it's gonna be knife fight for that flying. I think every regional out there is looking at that flying like vultures circling a dying animal.

Then again, there might not much flying to fight over except for United. US Airways might see it as a way to scale back their flying, and Delta's more or less already said the Mesa 50 seat flying is done.

Then again, there might not much flying to fight over except for United. US Airways might see it as a way to scale back their flying, and Delta's more or less already said the Mesa 50 seat flying is done.

If Mesa goes under, I doubt anyone will see much extra Delta or USAir flying. But they do something like 80-90 aircraft worth of flying for United, which is really substantial. I doubt any one airline will get a big chunk of it (especially not skywest, as they already something like 60% of the UAX flying).

If Mesa goes under, it's gonna be knife fight for that flying. I think every regional out there is looking at that flying like vultures circling a dying animal.

ASA and Skywest will be the only regionals in the industry with the staffing to pick up that flying immediately. Almost every other regional will have to recall, retrain, hire and/or pick up a new certificate for the 900.

ASA and Skywest will be the only regionals in the industry with the staffing to pick up that flying immediately. Almost every other regional will have to recall, retrain, hire and/or pick up a new certificate for the 900.

I don't think they are going to call up Skywest or Comair one morning and say "Mesa just went under we need you to start flying these planes tomorrow morning."

It is a drawn out process. And I believe if MESA goes into BK court then the mainline carriers will start assigning stuff to get the ball rolling on the process. Most every regional out there besides XJT and the TProp operators are flying some sort of CRJ product and could have a training program in the works in real short order. From what I remember the 900 isn't a different type than the 200. All you need is the differences training. Correct?

I don't think they are going to call up Skywest or Comair one morning and say "Mesa just went under we need you to start flying these planes tomorrow morning."

It is a drawn out process. And I believe if MESA goes into BK court then the mainline carriers will start assigning stuff to get the ball rolling on the process. Most every regional out there besides XJT and the TProp operators are flying some sort of CRJ product and could have a training program in the works in real short order. From what I remember the 900 isn't a different type than the 200. All you need is the differences training. Correct?

Correct. The question is, how long does it take to create a training program, get it certified by the FAA, and then hire and train pilots to staff a fairly large amount of aircraft(30+ I believe). It seems like ASA's 900 differences program took forever to finish and there's no sim or groundschool even involved if you're qualified on the 700. It's a handout from what I've heard.

Correct. The question is, how long does it take to create a training program, get it certified by the FAA, and then hire and train pilots to staff a fairly large amount of aircraft(30+ I believe). It seems like ASA's 900 differences program took forever to finish and there's no sim or groundschool even involved if you're qualified on the 700. It's a handout from what I've heard.

So why wouldn't Comair be able to call back their several hundred furloughed pilots to take this flying? They have a 900 program set up? And you're also saying that ASA/SKW is fat by over 300 pilots? I don't think any regional furlough or not has enough pilots to staff an additional 30+ planes.

You don't know how fat we are here at 9E. We've got lines down to 75-80 an hour for line holders and reserves are flying 20-30 hours a month. I've been a CA for 7 months, and I'm just now hitting the 250 TPIC mark. Believe it or not, we could handle some more flying.

You don't know how fat we are here at 9E. We've got lines down to 75-80 an hour for line holders and reserves are flying 20-30 hours a month. I've been a CA for 7 months, and I'm just now hitting the 250 TPIC mark. Believe it or not, we could handle some more flying.

Hah, you should see the Delta side. I haven't flown since the 29th. On track for no flying in December I'm willing to bet (except when people get "sick" on Christmas :D).

Our lines are 85+ on the DCI side. Na na na. :p

Sure makes reserve life boring.

So why wouldn't Comair be able to call back their several hundred furloughed pilots to take this flying? They have a 900 program set up? And you're also saying that ASA/SKW is fat by over 300 pilots? I don't think any regional furlough or not has enough pilots to staff an additional 30+ planes.

CMR is a wholly owned Delta carrier. I doubt we see them as a major competitor for the MESA flying. You're right that the regional that gets the flying will have to hire again. My point was most airlines would have to recall and hire, as well as create a new certificate for 900s, which IMO will be hard to do under 6 months.

Yeah I see PNCL right in the pack of vultures. PNCL, PSA, Republic, and Skywest Inc. will probably be the participants in the rat race. And I hope we win...

If, and that's a big if, this really happens to MESA I hope that whoever gets the bid gives preferential hiring to Mesa pilots. As long as I have a job and we recall all our furloughs I don't care who gets the flying.

Ours are at 5-10hrs a month. I personally have flown a single hour in the last 3 weeks.

This would be the best job ever if it was in a city that was even remotely fun or interesting :drool:

Seems like a few places are all fat.

... and yet, those places aren't really letting anybody go.

I think the airlines have seem oil prices plunge and hedged away... and now they're waiting to spring a HUGE springtime schedule.

This could be interesting.

Back